Everquest

MoJames

So my original addiction, I jumped in right after Kunark and managed to get I think to level 75 with both a cleric and beastmaster. Just absolutely dominated my spare time and I'm not anxious to go back, but saw a group in Australia is resetting the clock 20 years after it's original release. Apparently they will keep the original timeline and release expansions and patches as they happen, so stuff the was taken out of the game after a patch will be in the original version. 

Link

• Like 1

In March, on the 20th anniversary, Daybreak Games(new name for SOE) released 2 new Time Locked Progression servers. Have to be an All-Access Member, $15/month, which also gives you access to other Daybreak games.

Selo, which is a fast progression server, started with Luclin, and every month opened a new expansion until it catches up to Live servers. 

Mangler, started with Classic Everquest, and released a new expansion every 12 weeks. It's currently on Scars of Velious. 

I started playing on Mangler in March at the start, having a blast without totally committing all my time on it. It's not totally like Classic, it does have some of the more recent benefits, no corpse runs, maps, quicker experience. Some of the players on the server left when WoW started WoW Classic, but there is still a decent sized player base.

Luclin releases on 11/20, also, it's been running with Luclin models since release, but if wanted, the old models can be run. not sure if allowed after Luclin.

Edited by Lone Star Horn

I played on the original Project1999 server for a few years, was part of the world first Tunare kill. Did a decent amount of raiding but the endgame drama was pretty brutal.

Had an absolute blast though throughout. They should have most of the kinks worked out this go-around. They recently have made a few changes to be closer to the original, such as hotbar restrictions and changing of the pet window which seem like they will be pretty obnoxious. 

Its a great game that holds up in terms of the reward cycle but it requires a huge time commitment.

I was a day 1 EQ player with a crew of HS friends. So many memories. Played pretty hardcore until I sold my account on eBay around the time Velious came out. Later, I bought some deluxe gold edition,  started a new account, and played off and on through college. That character survived a server merge and actually still exists last I checked. 

Got the nostalgic itch a few years ago, dicked around on the p99 server and played to lvl 20ish. Then I tried the newest live progression server at the time (Coirnav) and rolled a new character on Mangler when that came out. I think I got a druid to lvl 44 but haven't played since before Kunark unlocked.

I preferred the live progression server for the quality of life improvements like faster exp, zone instancing, better loot system, in-game LFG window,  in-game maps, no corpse runs, etc.

You guys been following the development of Pantheon?

from wiki

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is an upcoming fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game from Visionary Realms, Inc. Brad McQuaid, the Co-Creator of EverQuest, currently serves as Chief Creative Officer for Visionary Realms and an important figure on the project.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is considered to be a spiritual successor to “classically-spirited” MMORPGs such as EverQuest and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, and will prominently feature a PvE-centric design, with plans for at least one PvP server at launch.

Pantheon focuses on challenging content and the social aspects of gameplay, such as grouping and guilds, making friends, and earning a reputation in the community.

Many aspects of gameplay are inspired by text-based MUD games. Typical character progression is slower paced than many modern MMORPGs in order to make content more meaningful. Combat is performed by selecting various spells and abilities based on character class and strategy. Pantheon uses a tab-targeting system.

i'm thinking of jumping on it at launch

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, MoJames said:

So my original addiction, I jumped in right after Kunark and managed to get I think to level 75 with both a cleric and beastmaster. Just absolutely dominated my spare time and I'm not anxious to go back, but saw a group in Australia is resetting the clock 20 years after it's original release. Apparently they will keep the original timeline and release expansions and patches as they happen, so stuff the was taken out of the game after a patch will be in the original version. 

Link

This is almost exactly what happened to me. My brother had bought Everquest for me as a birthday present right after Kunark hit. I had never been truly addicted to anything before or really after as I was with this game. I played through PoP before I stopped cold turkey. This is the only game I have had multiple dreams I was actually in the world since I played in first person. By far my favorite game of all time. Just completely addicted to the world. Had been an RPG nerd up until then and this just hit every single obsessive compulsive tendency I had. I never quite stayed up a full 24 hours playing in 1 sitting but there were times where I was by myself and would pull multiple 16-18 hour sessions. I loved every second. I doubt I could ever go back to something like this unless Im both widowed and retired. First max level character was an Ogre shaman, then later leveled up a dwarf priest. Still remember when I was high enough on my shaman to go solo camp Frenzied Ghoul in Lower Guk for the FBSS. Yea I said it...

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

This is almost exactly what happened to me. My brother had bought Everquest for me as a birthday present right after Kunark hit. I had never been truly addicted to anything before or really after as I was with this game. I played through PoP before I stopped cold turkey. This is the only game I have had multiple dreams I was actually in the world since I played in first person. By far my favorite game of all time. Just completely addicted to the world. Had been an RPG nerd up until then and this just hit every single obsessive compulsive tendency I had. I never quite stayed up a full 24 hours playing in 1 sitting but there were times where I was by myself and would pull multiple 16-18 hour sessions. I loved every second. I doubt I could ever go back to something like this unless Im both widowed and retired. First max level character was an Ogre shaman, then later leveled up a dwarf priest. Still remember when I was high enough on my shaman to go solo camp Frenzied Ghoul in Lower Guk for the FBSS. Yea I said it...

Was going through some stuff the other night and ran across this piece of shit.

Lord_Burgurgle.png

Can't remember how many hours I spent camping that boring ass camp.

I also recall farming the shit out of these assholes for their massive gold drops

hill%20giant.jpg

I also remember being very resourceful and getting my skills up to make equipment or farming shit I could with a group of 5-6. But my first purchase in the bazaar was this bad ass shield.

lodizalshellshield.jpg

And regarding you post here is the asshole not only with the FBSS but also...

301d8860cf8bc084f9e8a8be36134504.jpg

that the ghoul lord was around the corner with this badass weapon - Short Sword of the Ykesha.

ef07055bda920c9455c451c5f3aca916.jpg

• Like 1

Ok purely hypothetical, but what class would you choose if you started over.

I think my first character was a druid, then I got a rogue up to level 20ish and had to start over because my gf and I shared an account.

So, at that point I started the cleric. One reason was the constant need, so it was easy to find a group. My gf played an enchanter so it was rare that we couldn't find a group. Then as we progressed, the beastmaster was gifted to me maxed at 65 with epic. The combo of cleric, bst and enchanter was so damn nice.

Assuming I would be only playing one account. I think I might go with a monk or a bard.

I'm not sure what happened after a wandered away, but monks were handy to solo and could also be useful on pulling a mob. Usually there weren't a ton around to compete for a spot.

However, the bard was so damn fun, chaining together songs and solo or group you were good to go. You also could travel so god damned fast, granted that wasn't as necessary later on in the game.

Warrior, Paladin, Shadow Knight. Beastlord, Berserker, Monk, Ranger, Rogue. Magician, Necromancer, Wizard. Bard, Enchanter. Cleric, Druid, Shaman.

Eh, after thinking about it, I might just two box a cleric and bst again, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Not going to address the issue of Brad.

I'm fairly drunk again tonight, playing P99 and simply wanted to say - this is still the best MMO ever created.  It's ugly, clunky and hard - and dammit if despite all of the gaffe's it still isn't as close to perfection as anything offered.

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/28/2020 at 6:49 PM, Grippe said:

I'm fairly drunk again tonight, playing P99 and simply wanted to say - this is still the best MMO ever created.  It's ugly, clunky and hard - and dammit if despite all of the gaffe's it still isn't as close to perfection as anything offered.

Agree. I've tried a bunch and could never get into another MMO, unless you count Destiny. I got sucked back into playing my druid on Mangler.

On 3/28/2020 at 9:49 PM, Grippe said:

Meh.  I tried Project99 again a few years back.  I had way more time on my hands in my early 20s, but today I don't have 30 minutes to sit around waiting for a boat to come pick me up.  I had a lot of fun with it, don't get me wrong.  I remember enlisting help for a random Wizard back in the day so I could get my early Epic on my Paladin.  You had to kill the leader of Freeport, Sir Lucan D'Lere, which made you KOS to the entire town afterwards.  We kited him outside the city gates, where I continued to run him around while the Wizard nuked him from the sky.  I then spent months afterwards grinding Goblins in Highkeep to get enough faction so I could set foot in Freeport again.  I then got a screenshot standing next to Sir Lucan while holding Soulfire once I was no longer KOS.  Lost the screenshot when my hard drive crashed a few years ago.  That was my favorite moment.  I then quit playing the Paladin for awhile and started grinding a Wizard cause I wanted to drop big ass comets on bitches like my buddy did.

In any case, after playing on P99 for about a week I quit playing and started playing Star Wars Galaxies again.  That was SOE's best MMO, there's still a strong following for that one today too.  Caused a lot of controversy when they revamped the game to be more like WoW about 3 years into development, but in the end it turned out to be a decent game.  I still love the space combat, reminds me of the old school TIE Fighter games from DOS.

Edited by ulukinatme

19 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

Meh.  I tried Project99 again a few years back.  I had way more time on my hands in my early 20s, but today I don't have 30 minutes to sit around waiting for a boat to come pick me up.  I had a lot of fun with it, don't get me wrong.  I remember enlisting help for a random Wizard back in the day so I could get my early Epic on my Paladin.  You had to kill the leader of Freeport, Sir Lucan D'Lere, which made you KOS to the entire town afterwards.  We kited him outside the city gates, where I continued to run him around while the Wizard nuked him from the sky.  I then spent months afterwards grinding Goblins in Highkeep to get enough faction so I could set foot in Freeport again.  I then got a screenshot standing next to Sir Lucan while holding Soulfire once I was no longer KOS.  Lost the screenshot when my hard drive crashed a few years ago.  That was my favorite moment.  I then quit playing the Paladin for awhile and started grinding a Wizard cause I wanted to drop big ass comets on bitches like my buddy did.

In any case, after playing on P99 for about a week I quit playing and started playing Star Wars Galaxies again.  That was SOE's best MMO, there's still a strong following for that one today too.  Caused a lot of controversy when they revamped the game to be more like WoW about 3 years into development, but in the end it turned out to be a decent game.  I still love the space combat, reminds me of the old school TIE Fighter games from DOS.

I never had a PC that could play SWG when it came out, but I remember how pissed the community was when that update happened. Is it still a thing?

6 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I never had a PC that could play SWG when it came out, but I remember how pissed the community was when that update happened. Is it still a thing?

There's a number of SWG emulators these days.  Some are built on the old, original code before the changes.  SWG Legends is a server that's closer to how the game was when it was shut down in 2011.  They've been adding new content to Legends too, like additional dungeons and world bosses.  The devs on Legends have added a number of fixes that Sony never bothered to get around to as well.  It's free to play now, and most potato computers can run it.

Edited by ulukinatme
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 1:18 PM, CurlyDumps said:

Agree. I've tried a bunch and could never get into another MMO, unless you count Destiny. I got sucked back into playing my druid on Mangler.

I was on Mangler for a bit, lvl 59 wizard, but got burned out. I'm waiting for the new TLP to drop and will start over on classic

On 4/9/2020 at 9:16 PM, ulukinatme said:

With the TLPs you don't have to wait for boats, they have translocators which will port you to the other docks. No corpse runs, some of the better features of the newer expansions but the adventures of classic EQ with expansions dropping roughly every 3 months. 

Per Daybreak announcement last month, they will have 2 new TLP servers dropping in a few months. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder for anyone interested, new TLPs drop tomorrow, I think that they'll be online after noon Pacific time. 

I have a laptop and a desktop, so I'm going to try to 2 box. I will be on Aradune, with a Shaman/SK combo. 

If anyone from here jumps on, look for Smellious (Shammy) or Hanzum (SK), if I can grab the names.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

PSA: two new TLP servers are dropping on Wednesday with a totally new ruleset. The first major one is free trade -  almost all droppable loot is tradeable.  But the really big one which could totally shake up the game is randomized loot drops. If you were ever thinking of reliving EQ nostalgia, now is a good time. These will probably be the most populated/active TLP servers ever.

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-mischief-progression-server-2021 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I rolled another chanter/cleric duo on Mischief. The random loot is awesome because rares can also drop more loot - like up to 5 items. I’ve gotten so many more good drops I can actually use from just leveling.

When I read about the ruleset, I wondered if rares would have like an extra loot table from which an extra item could drop. Turns out they have like 4? (potentially). In a Sol B group, we had a Kobold King drop two haste belts at once. That was wild.

Feels like a more modernized, less stingy, ‘Diablofication” of the game. Can get good loot by just playing instead of having to go camp something.