Thunderbirds F-16 crashes during training, kills pilot

AUS-97HORN

Sad news since these guys do high-performance maneuvers for the enjoyment of spectators.

If I remember correctly, its been a long time since the thunderbirds lost an active duty pilot to a crash.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-nellis-plane-crash-20180404-story.html

A U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds pilot was killed Wednesday while doing routine training maneuvers at Nellis Air Force Base, officials said.

The pilot's identity was being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

Air Force officials said the pilot's F-16 fighter plane went down about 10:30 a.m. on the Nevada Test and Training Range. The cause of the crash was not immediately known and the Accident Investigation Board of the Air Force was investigating.

In response to the crash, the Thunderbirds canceled their participation at this weekend's Air & Space Expo at March Air Force Base in Riverside County. Officials at Nellis Air Force Base said it was unclear how the mishap would affect the Thunderbirds' schedule for the remainder of the year. The team performs a heavy schedule, with 33 shows already set for 2018.

I saw the Blue Angels crash at Niagara Falls when Dad was still a reservist and we lived in upstate NY. It’s a horrible thing, you see the fireball a split second before you hear the boom, then suddenly sound of jet engines stops.

I’ll pour one out for that aviator. Those guys are real pros who love what they do and serve our country as a labor of love.

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

did a quick look on wikipedia, and if I am reading this correctly, this is the first fatal Thunderbirds crash since the infamous 4diamond crash in 1982 when the whole formation crashed into the ground, killing all 4 pilots during training

One of my senior NCOs (USAF) was the head of the advance team that went into the crash site to recover the bodies (or what was left). 

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Ugh. RIP. Blue Angels are scheduled to fly at the HOT Airshow this weekend and watching them always puts a knot in my guts.

They've been scaring the clients up here at work today. Their practice has been more impressive than the Thunderbirds who are here more often.