Profile in Courage

TahoeHorn

https://www.nysun.com/editorials/susan-collins-profile-in-courage/90835/

Susan Collins’ Profile in Courage

Can you think of a vote, in modern times, which required more courage?  ("This may well cost me my seat but it's the right thing to do.")

(My last new topic [and probably post] under the name TahoeHorn - a name which I have used on Horn political boards for over twenty years)

Edited by TahoeHorn
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 20

Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up
Shut up

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

A vote that cost a Senator their job?

Yeah, it took about half a second. 

Ralph Yarborough 

6 Democrat Senators lost their seats to pass a bill to ensure millions of Americans had access to affordable healthcare. A whopping 9 years ago. Ancient history. 

• Like 1

Brave little soldier standing up again.

Is this thread and the demise of Tahoe why they are ready to put ads in here?

This place used to be a lot louder on the right. There were plenty of voices on the left, but Swam and others had threads like this one every day. 

Then it happened. I went to get a damn shower and Ohio went for Trump.

It was great at first. They beat the bitch. Hildabeast was defeated. 

Well, that's a few years now of winning. 

I guess they really did get sick of winning. 

The tone in here hasn't changed. The right seems to have lost the will to defend their position. Escriva would absolutely refuse to be pinned down. Swam was impervious to facts. They were relentless. Until the move and suddenly they were gone. Rocko too. Emy Numbers and FC. It happens in this flimsy world of the internet.

Why? Did they get tired? Or bored 

I got plenty of negs at TOS and I still get them here. Hell, housious was passing them out all over the Board Discussion thread about it today. But, we all started off with the same chance here. Zero rep. Say something stupid and then say it again and again and you're going to see some damage. It's not like it was when it took a concerted effort from long term posters with massive neg bombs to do anything of substance to any of the aforementioned. Rocko was not going to get banned. Here he didn't last long.

We killed off Tahoe. 

I think I have Mixtymotions 

• Like 1

They’re missing from this board because they’re embarrassed.

And if they don’t read about the absolute shitshow they support then they can pretend it doesn’t exist.

When Alabama got smashed by Clemson in the NC game, I avoided all sports related message boards, football twitter, ESPN etc. until the week before the first game of this season.

If I didn’t see it or read about it, it didn’t exist.

The only way I know which posters are trumpkins is when they give themselves away in certain threads on the Daily Texan.

Their usual MO is to spout off some barely veiled jab about crime in Chicago or “religion of peace” or a racist dog whistle or a Jussie Smollet whatabout. Then when they get rightfully called out on it they cry about everyone else “cloak rooming up the thread”.

They can also be found on the Help Board lamenting about not being able to participate in discussions here because the “liberal cabal” neg reps them for no reason at all and they’re persecuted just for being Republicans.

Of course they didn’t get negged for fantasizing about shooting immigrants or spamming the board with lame rants about soy boys or posting other nonsensical garbage; nope, they just got run off for no reason at all!

TL;DR - they’re still around. They’re just hiding on other boards because a few have the good sense to be embarrassed and the rest have hurt feelings because people are mean to them when they say the quiet, racist, sexist, facist parts out loud.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Brave little soldier standing up again.

Is this thread and the demise of Tahoe why they are ready to put ads in here?

This place used to be a lot louder on the right. There were plenty of voices on the left, but Swam and others had threads like this one every day. 

Then it happened. I went to get a damn shower and Ohio went for Trump.

It was great at first. They beat the bitch. Hildabeast was defeated. 

Well, that's a few years now of winning. 

I guess they really did get sick of winning. 

The tone in here hasn't changed. The right seems to have lost the will to defend their position. Escriva would absolutely refuse to be pinned down. Swam was impervious to facts. They were relentless. Until the move and suddenly they were gone. Rocko too. Emy Numbers and FC. It happens in this flimsy world of the internet.

Why? Did they get tired? Or bored 

I got plenty of negs at TOS and I still get them here. Hell, housious was passing them out all over the Board Discussion thread about it today. But, we all started off with the same chance here. Zero rep. Say something stupid and then say it again and again and you're going to see some damage. It's not like it was when it took a concerted effort from long term posters with massive neg bombs to do anything of substance to any of the aforementioned. Rocko was not going to get banned. Here he didn't last long.

We killed off Tahoe. 

I think I have Mixtymotions 

Actually, I think this is an interesting phenomenon that I see not just on social media, but also in real life.  

It used to be that Republicans and conservatives would eagerly engage in a lively give-and-take about politics.  Now they really don't.

Part of it is imposed on them, like Tahoe's ban.  I'm sure they would say that it's all imposed on them.

But really, the truth is that they are much more likely now to retreat to their safe spaces.  Democrats shouting "shut the fuck up" isn't anything new.  What's new is that they actually shut the fuck up and go away.

I think part of that arises from the fact that it's got to be hard to try to defend the indefensible.  But I think a bigger part is that they now have safe spaces to which they can retreat.  They can go sit and watch Fox News or OANN and then get on their "TheDonald" message board and arrange the furniture in their own little echo chamber.

But ultimately, that's a problem for them.  They're not out there trying to convince anyone of their point of view.  And from a campaign standpoint, that's a problem.

Trump goes around the country holding rallies.  But a bunch of the people attending those rallies are superfans--they travel to every rally.  How many people is he convincing about anything?  And his followers now just do the same thing on a smaller scale.  They'll bitch about the libs to one another, but they never talk about politics outside their safe spaces.

That's no way to win a war of ideas.

• Like 2

It's hard to show your face when the leader of your political party is a corrupt, incompetent, immoral failed-businessman.

Still can't believe Republicans rallied around him. He's doing substantial, long-term damage to the Republican brand, which I guess is what they wanted.

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

They can also be found on the Help Board lamenting about not being able to participate in discussions here because the “liberal cabal” neg reps them for no reason at all

That's exactly the way it's going on the Board Discussion. They are upset that when they say something that gets negged it actually causes a loss of rep. They used to be able to fling shit in the cesspool with impunity. Not so much now. 

Whether they find Trump and his groupies indefensible or simply lost the enthusiasm for the fight is immaterial really. They left to go to the Daily Texan around here. On FB it's a series of poorly written memes of half baked lies. Not even up to the standards of Fox, just some BS about guns, God, or gays. I'm not going to block a reasonable source,  but Jimbo McGeezer of TrumpRules is getting shitcanned every time. 

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

They’re missing from this board because they’re embarrassed.

And if they don’t read about the absolute shitshow they support then they can pretend it doesn’t exist.

When Alabama got smashed by Clemson in the NC game, I avoided all sports related message boards, football twitter, ESPN etc. until the week before the first game of this season.

If I didn’t see it or read about it, it didn’t exist.

The only way I know which posters are trumpkins is when they give themselves away in certain threads on the Daily Texan.

Their usual MO is to spout off some barely veiled jab about crime in Chicago or “religion of peace” or a racist dog whistle or a Jussie Smollet whatabout. Then when they get rightfully called out on it they cry about everyone else “cloak rooming up the thread”.

They can also be found on the Help Board lamenting about not being able to participate in discussions here because the “liberal cabal” neg reps them for no reason at all and they’re persecuted just for being Republicans.

Of course they didn’t get negged for fantasizing about shooting immigrants or spamming the board with lame rants about soy boys or posting other nonsensical garbage; nope, they just got run off for no reason at all!

TL;DR - they’re still around. They’re just hiding on other boards because a few have the good sense to be embarrassed and the rest have hurt feelings because people are mean to them when they say the quiet, racist, sexist, facist parts out loud.

Daily Texan is the safe space for the Fuck Your Feelings Tribe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

So did we ever figure out who was posing as Tahoe here?  Hitby?

My theory is that it's a bored Lefty. Somebody who stole Tahoe's handle during the move, to jack with him, then months later they realized they have this hand-puppet they can use to whip posters into a froth.

here's a real profile in courage:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/20/us/greta-thunberg-profile-weir/index.html

New York (CNN)In person, she is tiny.

Eyes wide and head down, her discomfort with crowds and small talk make it easy to understand why Greta Thunberg says she was "an invisible girl" for most of her 16 years.
But when Thunberg went to Washington -- into the lights, cameras and lack-of-action that makes up the modern congressional hearing -- the smallest and youngest person in the room came off as the oldest soul on Capitol Hill.

Brushing off Republican talking points and Democratic flattery with equal flat annoyance, even friendly softballs were treated as reminders that she takes this much more seriously than most grown-ups. Even those in the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Climate.

"How can we get more kids involved in this issue?" asked Rep. Ben Luján, a Democrat from New Mexico.

"Just tell them the truth," she said. "Tell them how it is. Because when I found out how it actually is, it made me furious."

Her manner is level and unflinching, her voice soft and halting and she admits she may be the most reluctant activist in modern times. Yet in the age of Instagram filters and charismatic influencers, something about her raw honesty around a message of blunt-force fear turned this girl from invisible to global.

"As it is now, people in general don't seem to be very aware of the actual science and how serious this crisis is," she said to the scattered lawmakers and dozens of cameras at the hearing this week. "I think we need to inform them and start treating the crisis like the existential threat it is."

When Thunberg walked into a conference room at the Ford Foundation for interviews, I flashed to a short story I wrote in college about a child who can see the future.
On his popular TV show, the boy announces that all war will end the following day but, as humanity celebrates, he admits to his mother that it was a lie. "Tomorrow, all life on earth will end in fire," he tells her, and "I don't think they can take it."

Convinced that humanity can -- MUST -- take the hardest of truths, Thunberg set down her "Skolstrejk för Klimatet" ("School Strike for Climate") sign, put on a mic and began a gauntlet of interviews about the end of life as we know it.

"I mean, I don't like being the center of attention," she said. "I don't want to be heard all the time, but if there is anything I can do to improve the situation then I think it's a very small price to pay."

It's been less than a year since she plopped down in front of Parliament in Stockholm, a one-girl Swedish version of the American school strikes for gun control.

"The symbolism of the climate strike is that if you adults don't give a damn about my future, I won't either," she explained.

By Day 2, she had company. By Week 2, a viral movement on social media, and within a few months, she stood before dignitaries at the UN's climate change conference in Poland. "You only speak of green eternal economic growth because you are too scared of being unpopular," she said.

A month later, she took a train to Davos, Switzerland, slept in a tent and told the rich and powerful that the house is on fire. "Adults keep saying we owe it to the young people to give them hope. But I don't want your hope. I want you to panic."

Having sworn off flying, it took a 60-foot sailboat on loan from Monaco's royalty to get her to America, and while her selfies amid whitecaps drew new followers by the thousands, it also made her a target of conservative climate crisis skeptics. "Freak yachting accidents do happen in August," tweeted Arron Banks, a founder of the pro-Brexit Leave campaign.

"For me, that is just in a way, funny," Thunberg responded with a smile. "It is like they don't have any arguments left so they, so they have to just mock me, or mock my diagnosis or my appearance. In a way, it is a positive sign that something is happening. They feel threatened by, by this movement. That means we are making a difference."

By "diagnosis," she means Asperger's. Thunberg's mother is a famous singer in Sweden and has written about Greta's place on the spectrum as something like a superpower.

"It makes me work a bit different. I think differently," she said. "My diagnosis has definitely helped me keep this focus. When you are interested about something you just continue to read about it and you get super focused."

Actually reading the dense reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) puts her in the minority. But it also fuels a righteous frustration that she even needs to justify her obsession. "It's not because (climate change) is especially interesting," she said, rolling her eyes. "It's a matter of life and death."

In March, almost 1.5 million children in dozens of countries left classrooms and took to the streets. With strikes planned in over 500 places in the US alone today, the Fridays for Future movement could easily double those numbers.

Thunberg sees protests -- but also lawsuits, treaties and pressure campaigns -- as vital tools.

"I think we, we will be seeing lots of social tipping points, because the distance between what people and media companies, politicians are saying, versus what they are doing, the distance between that is increasing. So that just builds up the absurdness of the situation," she said.

"We will try to push it and make sure that the world leaders have all eyes on them so that they cannot continue to ignore this."

Our time is up. David Wallace-Wells is waiting to do the next interview and give her his book "The Uninhabitable Earth." More food for dark thought.

Thunberg hoisted her "Skolstrejk" sign under one arm. The first two cardboard versions of the sign wore out, so this one is plywood, fortified to survive a movement that will last her lifetime.

190919154525-greta-thunberg-outside-swed

• 10 months later...

I was scrolling back looking for the Antifa thread, but when I saw this thread title and discovered what was being presented as some act of courage, thought it might better illustrate the point if I posted it here.

Before history was history it was just news. No one knew what the hell tomorrow would bring. No one got to pick the winning side beforehand even in a shadow that dwarfs today's. Thankfully there were badasses like Virginia Hall who gave approximately zero fucks.

https://www.si.edu/sidedoor/ep-3-milkmaid-spy