The Last Days of Phil Hartman

TrashMaster G

Hartman was such an awesome talent. Happy to hear that his kids have apparently been able to overcome such a terrible loss. 

The coke definitely awakened some old demons, but the zoloft angle raised an interesting question about the cause(s) of her erratic behavior at the end. 

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Dick gave his wife coke that made her relapse and started the downward spiral that led her to kill him and herself.

I heard a story that the first time Jon Lovitz saw Dick after this he had to be restrained from kicking his ass.  A fight between Lovitz and Andy Dick.  Even in death, Phil Hartman kept bringing the lulz.  

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

I heard a story that the first time Jon Lovitz saw Dick after this he had to be restrained from kicking his ass.  A fight between Lovitz and Andy Dick.  Even in death, Phil Hartman kept bringing the lulz.  

Watched some of this last night.  Apparently, Lovitz once stopped a car that Dick was riding in, leaned in, through the window and whispered into Andy's ear, "I know you killed Phil."

Wild shit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

didn't they do newsradio together though?

According to Lovitz, Hartman told him that Dick had once given coke to his wife at a party after she had been sober for a 10 year stretch, putting her into a spiral. Fast forward years later after the murder, Lovitz got the News Radio gig and Dick was continually treating him like shit on set for no good reason. Lovitz had enough and told him he knew about the coke thing with Phil’s wife. They had an altercation at a restaurant later on and eventually Lovitz wound up punching him at the Laugh Factory in LA.

Andy Dick is a hardcore addict and seriously mentally ill. The guy has burned every bridge he ever had.

• Like 3

According to Lovitz, Hartman told him that Dick had once given coke to his wife at a party after she had been sober for a 10 year stretch, putting her into a spiral. Fast forward years later after the murder, Lovitz got the News Radio gig and Dick was continually treating him like shit on set for no good reason. Lovitz had enough and told him he knew about the coke thing with Phil’s wife. They had an altercation at a restaurant later on and eventually Lovitz wound up punching him at the Laugh Factory in LA.
Andy Dick is a hardcore addict and seriously mentally ill. The guy has burned every bridge he ever had.

And not funny.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, Sbbruin said:

His two greatest characters ever.

spacer.png

“Mr. Simpson, this is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the movie, The Neverending Story!”

AND

"Oh they got this all wrong... it should be, 'Works on contingency? No! Money Down.'"

• Like 2

I watched most of this the other night and it seems like I'd seen most of the material before. Hartman was a genius -- I think he's in the Top 3 all-time at SNL. I believe Rolling Stone or Variety did a ranking of SNL cast members and Phil was close to the top. He will always be Bill McNeal to me, though. Just a genius character through and through. I actually thought Lovitz was pretty good when he came on but suffered by comparison to Hartman's McNeal. Along with Jimmy James that's two all-time TV characters on one show with NewsRadio.