Robbie Robertson is one of the coolest mofos ever

Beau Vine

24 minutes ago, stc said:

yeah, read levon's book and you'll have a different opinion. RR seems like a complete asshole. 

To be fair, I think Robbie has tried/is trying to make amends for that time, but it's hard to look at how his life turned out vs the rest of the guys and say that things went down fairly.

From an IP/copyright lawyer's perspective, it always sounded to me like Helm et al. had the better end of that argument.  If you don't want to share songwriting credit (and presumably royalties), don't involve anyone else.  At all.

How they comparatively "ended up" is also explained at least partially by addiction, which Robertson apparently did not suffer.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

From an IP/copyright lawyer's perspective, it always sounded to me like Helm et al. had the better end of that argument.  If you don't want to share songwriting credit (and presumably royalties), don't involve anyone else.  At all.

How they comparatively "ended up" is also explained at least partially by addiction, which Robertson apparently did not suffer.

There's truth in that last sentence, but how did essentially being fucked out of a lot of money play into that?  I'm guessing it's a lot easier to get help/treatment when you aren't having to go out on the road to keep the lights on.

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There's truth in that last sentence, but how did essentially being fucked out of a lot of money play into that?  I'm guessing it's a lot easier to get help/treatment when you aren't having to go out on the road to keep the lights on.

True enough, hence "partially."  And while there's no shortage of evidence that Robertson partied a lot (I hesitate to say as much as the rest of them), I have always chalked it up to the "heavy drinker/alcoholic" differential, but it could have been a matter of resources, as well.

I'm also just a big Helm fan.  His performances in Shooter and Three Burials just capped it for me.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...