Counting Cows R Hard

RPM

North Texas rancher reports nearly 500 steers missing from ranch

A rancher in Clay County has reported nearly 500 steers went missing from his ranch, says the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association.

The rancher said the cattle were likely taken from his ranch sometime between November 2018 and August 2019.

"Due to the large herd maintained by the rancher, he did not discover the missing animals until shipping the remainder of the cattle," read a statement from the TSCRA.

The steers weigh in the range of 400 to 500 pounds each and are mixed breed Charolais and Black Angus.

The cattle have a brand (pictured below) on their left hip:

bbc64714-a106-48f5-a233-e4312590379e_750
A TSRA anti-theft initiative called Operation Cow Thief is offering up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest and indictment in the case. 

9 fucking months? You don't get a head count for 9 fucking months?  He needs to change his brand.

41q1QAln+QL.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EE2B said:

Anyone else read this thread title as “Counting Crows..” or is it just me?

I did and then I immediately started to wonder how that dork from a shitty band managed to get Jennifer Aniston in her prime and then land Fiona Gallagher in her prime as a fat middle aged man.

All of the above. We've never had a heard over 150, so I can't really imagine the time it would take to accurately count a heard where 500 goes unnoticed, but I'm pretty sure we'd take the time to do it more than once a year. And a $1,000 reward for $250,000-$350,000 of cattle ain't gonna bring out many snitches.  

What a moron.

Had a guy in our vicinity lost 100 head (presumably) in the recent rains. People were reporting it and pitching in to round them all up within an hour. 

Although...it’s been 2 days and some still aren’t accounted for. Stupid cows.

Good luck finding those 500 head that vanished within the past year. Some of them probably made it all the way to L.A. and are trying to get famous while waiting tables and turning tricks. They’re not coming back home til the money runs out. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, After irth said:

What a moron.

Had a guy in our vicinity lost 100 head (presumably) in the recent rains. People were reporting it and pitching in to round them all up within an hour. 

Good luck finding those 500 head that vanished within the past year. Some of them probably made it all the way to L.A. and are trying to get famous while waiting tables and turning tricks. They’re not coming back home til the money runs out. 

what?

Hell its hard counting 100 momma cows with their calves out in the pasture especially if they are all black. Only real way to truly count them is rounding them up in the pen and putting through the alley and marking tags. I had 3 cows missing for 2 weeks. neighbor called and said, "one of your cows had a calf out in our pasture a week ago."

Hey, I'll admit it's tough to get a good head count on a bunch of cattle milling around. You can count them 3 times and get 3 different totals. But if you're smart, you put your feed out in a long line and then get a count. Come up with the same number twice and you're good.  If I had as many cattle as that guy, I'd invest in a drone. 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2019 at 6:34 PM, After irth said:

What a moron.

They probably just got tired of his shit and left. You don't even call or come by for a YEAR and then you just expect me to be here for you when you do show up? 

• Haha 1

If the rancher wants a solid count, simple let them roam until opening weekend of deer season.  Then that Saturday morning at about 6:45 AM......every cow he owns will be within 15 yards of each feeder or food plot and his pissed off hunters can tell him exactly how many of those fuckers are at each spot.

• Like 2

What a moron.
well said

Hell its hard counting 100 momma cows with their calves out in the pasture especially if they are all black. Only real way to truly count them is rounding them up in the pen and putting through the alley and marking tags. I had 3 cows missing for 2 weeks. neighbor called and said, "one of your cows had a calf out in our pasture a week ago."
very racist

wait what?

5 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Besides Kenny & RPM and for some reason I'm thinking also Reagan, how many of u assholes have actually counted cows? And I'm not talking about your wives and girlfriends. 

When they got back to the wagon Augustus was oiling his guns. Lippy fanned himself with his bowler, and most of the other hands were just sitting around wishing it was cooler.

"Have you counted the stock yet?" Call asked Augustus. The man possessed a rare skill when it came to counting animals. He could ride through a herd and count it, something Call had never been able to do.

"No, I ain't got around to that task," Augustus said. "Maybe I will if you tell me what difference it makes."

"It would be useful to know how many we're starting out with," Call said, "If we get there with ninety percent we'll be lucky."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Besides Kenny & RPM and for some reason I'm thinking also Reagan, how many of u assholes have actually counted cows? And I'm not talking about your wives and girlfriends. 

Never a herd as large as the number he's missing. We always would move them to another pasture through a lane and count them as they went through the gate or gap. But it was never a uniform herd of all the same color or anything like that.

• Like 1

My Old Man and I ran 350 head in five different counties back when I was in Jr. High and High School. We did it like RPM said, lay hay or range cubes out in a long line and count them. Usually any cow missing was in the brush with a new baby, only missed one or two over all those years.

CHIEF

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 6:54 PM, Errestaurants said:

I have. Of course, I never worked with more than seven, so it wasn't that hard. Usually. Depending on how much I'd had to drink.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 5:54 PM, Errestaurants said:

Hundreds of times. Biggest heard we ever had was around 150. Typical size was a bit north of 100. Pretty simple to count those numbers while feeding. No idea how to go about counting a heard so large you wouldn't notice the absence of 500 just by glancing at it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Hundreds of times. Biggest heard we ever had was around 150. Typical size was a bit north of 100. Pretty simple to count those numbers while feeding. No idea how to go about counting a heard so large you wouldn't notice the absence of 500 just by glancing at it. 

Squish 

150 is nothing to sneeze at brother. Especially with calves on the ground. All cattle and no hat, sir.

I'm rounding mine up on Sunday. Gotta sell some. No rain has put a hurtin on us. I am going to take some steers over to my hay pasture in Kaufman County. I only cut it twice and has some good grass standing.

Well to be fair, I was just a teenager in those days, and I had the old man and granddad out there counting with me. If they got the same number, I don't think they worried too much if I came up with +/- a few from them. But the granddad was a gotdamn prodigy with cattle. Seems like he had a name for every one we ever had, and he could usually tell you which ones were missing.  

But I hear you on the rain. I think 2016 (or whatever year Lampasas CAD starting enforcing ag exemptions again) was the first year we had any cattle in over a decade. Still haven't had the desire to work more than 30ish steers since then.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:19 PM, dcbc said:

My old man used to tell me that you just counted the udders and divided by four.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:00 AM, SurlyBDR said:

That sounds udderly ridiculous. 

It is udderly ridiculous as it would come up 75% short. Now if you counted teats and divided by 4 you'd get the number of cows.

The old aggy joke was count legs and divide by four.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP