Rugby World Cup 2019

coachkiss

Some matches are on NBCSN (including Australia v Fiji that kicks off in 30 minutes). It’s part of my ATT Uverse lineup. Lot of young players for the Eagles.  And they got a tough pod.  Other than Tonga, not sure I see a win though. England Thursday will be a big test. I think England has a good shot at winning it all. 

Edited by ftf82
  • Like 1

Some matches are on NBCSN (including Australia v Fiji that kicks off in 30 minutes). It’s part of my ATT Uverse lineup. Lot of young players for the Eagles.  And they got a tough pod.  Other than Tonga, not sure I see a win though. England Thursday will be a big test. I think England has a good shot at winning it all. 

The new MLR has improved the quality of US players at the international players. In addition, we are starting to see the first players come through from EIRA, an age-based quasi national team for U14 through U18. Two players on this year’s squad were in their first international tour. Many, many more will be coming through. My son was on the U16 tour to Ireland this year that played Munster, Connacht, and Ulster.

Should be a top 8 country in about 5 years.
  • Like 2

england, wales, ireland, scotland, france, south africa, australia, kiwis, argentina... 
I admire your optimism but I don’t see top 8.

In my opinion, Scotland is down more with Italy. I think they are closer to Italy than England. Argentina is a cut above Scotland. France is up-and-down, capable of winning or losing any game.

2 hours ago, coachkiss said:

In my opinion, Scotland is down more with Italy. I think they are closer to Italy than England. Argentina is a cut above Scotland. France is up-and-down, capable of winning or losing any game.

I don’t disagree with any of that but I think we’re still more than five years away from beating any of them in a union test match. 

Edited by futureman

japan beat ireland.  nuts. 

It is. I like that you have to squad rotate due to the condensed schedule. It opens up more possibilities for upsets like this. Japan may not win if Sexton is out there the whole match.

Australia/Wales was very entertaining.

Scotland has a must win against Samoa now.

At halftime...
France 12 - 6 USA
I'm sure that we'll come back in the second half.

In the end, it was better. Way too many line outs lost. It just killed us. Macginty was not very good. We struggled on kick catch all night.

My biggest beef with this team is the constant kicking away of possession. Tackle 30 times, get turnover, kick away possession, make 30 tackles, rinse repeat.

I absolutely love Greg McWilliams (US attack coach), and I have a lot of respect for Gary Gold, but if our attack plan is to consistently give the other team the ball, I’m out. We aren’t good enough in our set piece to win a game like that.
  • Like 1

Just watched the France match. Forwards played great in the first half, but never could convert a try. At half I thought not taking the PK was a mistake but there was no way we were stopping France in the second half. We need to beat Tonga for sure. Hopefully we can beat Argentina next Tuesday too. Offloading by the French, and their kicking game in the first half, was fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to ask instead of google but I’m drunk from Friday night of parents weekend at my son’s frat at UT. Is the England v Australia match not being televised?  I found the NZ v Ireland match on NBCSN, but can’t find shit about the England game. 

23 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Sorry to ask instead of google but I’m drunk from Friday night of parents weekend at my son’s frat at UT. Is the England v Australia match not being televised?  I found the NZ v Ireland match on NBCSN, but can’t find shit about the England game. 

I assumed it would be televised but I haven’t checked.  england should handle them; australia has played like rubbish all tournament.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, futureman said:

I assumed it would be televised but I haven’t checked.  england should handle them; australia has played like rubbish all tournament.

Great use of British English when discussing England’s next opponent, which also happens to be a former British colony. 

Just watched my recording of the NZ v Wales match.  Probably last time to see Sonny Bill and Ben Smith in a World Cup. 

Anyplace in Austin showing the final match between England and South Africa live at 4am?

Go Northern Hemisphere

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Just watched my recording of the NZ v Wales match.  Probably last time to see Sonny Bill and Ben Smith in a World Cup. 

Anyplace in Austin showing the final match between England and South Africa live at 4am?

Go Northern Hemisphere

My English friends couldn’t stand the South African accent.

...and that’s all that I have to say about that. 

9 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Go Northern Hemisphere

sonny bill is legend, on and off the pitch. 

3 hours ago, futureman said:

sonny bill is legend, on and off the pitch. 

The first time I was ever called a “legend” was by the brother of a South African amiga of mine during his wedding speech for his sister and her Argentine husband, and all we did was take a bus down to Mar del Plata from Buenos Aires. 

But with the Springboks winning today, this hits close to home. 👍

On 10/20/2019 at 10:45 AM, futureman said:

new zealand’s complete domination of world rugby for over 100 years has to be the greatest cumulative accomplishment in the history of sport.

They tend to choke come World Cup time too often to merit this accolade.  South Africa now has as many WC titles as the All Blacks.

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Well if they were the most dominating force in all of sport then they should have more titles than any other team no matter how many / few World Cups have been played.

not sure you understand simple math.  “over 100 years” >>> 32 years and 9 world cups. 

you realize there was international play before the world cup?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, futureman said:

not sure you understand simple math.  “over 100 years” >>> 32 years and 9 world cups. 

you realize there was international play before the world cup?

Upon further review, you are correct.  It’s just a shame that such a dominating squad chokes so often on the biggest stage.

• 2 years later...