Prague recs?

Assman

On 11/3/2023 at 5:57 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Oh yeah, get these Trdelnik things sold everywhere on the street.  Basically a hollow donut/churro thing cooked over an open fire then rolled in cinnamon/sugar and stuffed with gelato.  One place had them rolled in chopped pistachios and then stuffed with pistachio gelato.   They were fantastic and yes based on the last two posts I am a fat man!

Image result for street dessert prague

It’s hard to argue that these are not freaking delicious. You will absolutely be judged by Praguers, as they are far from traditional to Prague and the locals kind of hate the stands, there was even a campaign based around it.

It’s hard to pin down where trdelnik originated, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania all claim it to some degree. But the best version of it is made in western Slovakia where it is an origin-protected product. The dough is given more time to rise, it cooks a bit longer over a smokier fire, and the nuts get toasted.  It tastes citrusy and smoky and light and it is absolutely one of the best things I’ve eaten. They pair it, surprisingly, with a good red wine from the region called Skalicky Rubin.

image.thumb.jpeg.03fc666d4eb9b95ddd622bfaff1e5861.jpeg

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

This is awesome 

thanks for all the recs 

Oh, one more thing I forgot.  Behind the castle and Hradcany square there is a street called Novy Svet with lots of little alleys and staircases. It’s one of the most beautiful places in the city and even so close to the castle it gets very, very little foot traffic. Recommend strolling through, getting a cup of coffee or mulled wine at “U Cerveneho Raka” (At the Red Crawfish) and continuing up to the Loretta church area. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0185ee6631c5b37d2b4b139b31ca860d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

Just got back. Thanks to everyone for all the good recommendations. My wife is touristy as fuck so we hit everything 

Charles Bridge - Beautiful. We walked across this many times between Malá Stana and Old Town. 
Prague Castle & St. Vitus - The Church was impressive. Just massive. The Castle itself didn’t really have much to visit but it was fine. 
Astronomical Clock - One of many tower climbs we did, but overall I thought this one was meh. The views are better and less crowded elsewhere. The crowds waiting to watch the clock strike the hour are also dumb. The clock doesn’t do anything. 
Baroque Library (Klementinum) - Very cool, but they don’t let you in to look around, just a couple steps in. Also another tower to climb for a clock. 
John Lennon Wall - story makes this cool

Powder Gate - Tower climb. Cool history. But views meh. 
St. Nicholas - Tower climb and best views. Liked this one of the best. Views across river are fantastic and the history of the nazi stuff is great. No one was there either. 
Letna Beer Garden - This was awesome. It was empty due to weather. We ate some great soup at the restaurant up there and had some great beers while overlooking the city. 
St. Wenceslaus Square - The history is nice, but it’s just a street with a statue now. 
Opera - Went to opera dinner at our hotel Grand Bohemia. Fantastic 
Strahov Monastery Brewery - Great beers and courtyard has amazing views overlooking city. 
Trdelnik - I don’t give a fuck if this is not authentic, it was tasty AF

Vivaldi Concert at St. Salvatore - touristy? Sure, but fantastic 

Kolaches - Had a bunch of good ones. They don’t have Klobasniky (I searched). Texans basically popularized it. Not a thing over there. 

Food was great everywhere. It didn’t matter beer I ordered, they were all great. I liked Kozel the best. 

We didn’t have time to hit any national museums, but overall Prague was amazing, even the touristy parts. I don’t ever want to live in a big city but Prague felt like one I wouldn’t mind to live in. Very international, the people are nice, and it’s very pretty. There are way too many tourists (in old town) but city is charming. Next time we visit I want to explore other parts of the country and some non tourist shit. 

We took an easy train from Munich to Prague. Fuck. It’s a tragedy the US doesn’t she simple infrastructure like Europe. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 6:54 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

You need to go to U Fleku even though it’s a total tourist trap. The dark beer is some of the best in the city and is legitimate. I’d stop for an afternoon rest and get a snack of beer cheese to go with it, ignore the Schnapps and the rest of the menu. The waiters are surly. 

Totally agree, so glad we ignored the advice NOT to go there, and went anyway, armed with this knowledge.  Had some fantastic beer and snacks, ignored the schnapps and watched a nearby table get angry when they found out what a scam that was.

Also the oompah band knew the tune to "I've Been Working on the Railroad" so we tipped them to play it, and then confused everyone by singing The Eyes over and over again...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Since lively bars and clubs aren't really my scene, let me suggest a few off-the-beaten-path attractions in Prague. The Sedlec Ossuary is a chapel containing artistically arranged skeletal remains of an estimated 40,000 to 70,000 people - definitely unique. There's also the Museum of Alchemists and Magicians, housed in the former residence of the famed alchemist Edward Kelley. Or check out the Museum of Fantastic Illusions for some mind-bending optical illusions and magical displays. These more unusual spots offer an interesting counterpoint to Prague's traditional tourist highlights.

Edited by josephorn