Oklahoma State @ Texas - 630PM on ABC: Mensas vs Mullets

Hagbard Celine

13 hours ago, Goodman said:

I can only say this after a win but tough not to like Mike, he says what every coach thinks. You fat, ungrateful mf'ers. Stop asking me dumb questions after we almost beat them on the road, again.

That was difficult to watch. I guess that's what happens when your average group of dipshit local sports writers cover the same coach for 15 years*

* or whatever

If I recall, our ground game was looking very sound leading up to the 2-pt conversion. If the likelihood of converting for 2 is greater than 50%, statistically you should be going for 2 (barring the occasional end-of-the-game situation in which the 1 point is crucial and unlikely later to be replaceable). I actually liked the 2-pt as an exclamation point and confidence statement about our offense. It did not feel like UGA when we seemed to need 3 tries to punch one in. Last September's Longhorns would have had no business doing it, but I liked the try and the result.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Homercles said:

My four years on campus went something like 3-8, 4-7 and two 5-6 seasons. My freshman year when I was in band we lost to Nebraska late at the Chiefs stadium and Texas due to a field goal. The damn coach just ran his son up the middle repeatedly, Tony Lindsay and Aso Pogi The Throwin Samoan we’re barely what I’d call quarterbacks.

We’d beaten Purdue in a bowl the year before I started there but never sniffed the post season again. Basketball tickets were hot items and I’ll never forget how loud the old GIA got in my first game, playing TCU I believe who was coached by an ex sooner...the football at Rustoleum Field never approached anything like that.

I feel like Texas is going places this year, and I know we were gifted two muffed punts but overall we competed and Sanders didn’t look rattled at all on the biggest stage of a young career playing against a Texas team that took an elite LSU team to the wire. I’m cautiously optimistic on our team but ultimately we are always playing with 3* players and I doubt I see a 2011-type season again in my lifetime.

Texas is ok with me. I’m married to a 2xHorn, both fan bases hate OU and mock Aggy...Longhorns are well educated, generally humble people and this place is my home on the Internet. You assholes make me laugh everyday and I’m glad most of us Pokes are welcome here.

So yeah, you won’t see me talking trash or getting butthurt. The respect our team garners around here makes me proud, it was earned on the fied and via a fan base that’s not a boat of delusional grandiose asshats that are grateful for what we have. Anyone who isn’t didn’t get the same experience at osu that I did.

Now go win the league Texas. I’m rooting for ya.

Is this the surly version of texags visiting fan update?

Gundy is a very good coach. I respect the way he runs that program, they are my 2nd favorite Big 12 team.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Luckily he’s losing his all-world WR, but they’ll be tough at home next year. 

Chubba I imagine is going out as well...he's a RS-sophomore. 

I think the next great OSU receiver is this kid Braydon Johnson.  He caught a few balls against Texas the other night. He'll probably be the go-to guy next year.

36 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Weird quirk of Herman's. He's more than willing to do somewhat offensive things like making fun of Missouri's Drew Locke on the sidelines. But he won't run up the score, even when offensive reps are probably a good thing. 

I agree that Herman is going to have to get a better feel for the accelerator at Texas, but he hasn't really gotten the opportunity in seasons previous. Our offense has typically been a liability to the point that bleeding the clock with a lead and playing defense from an advantageous position was a better strategy than risking turnovers.

If our returner understood that that last punt DID NOT NEED TO BE CAUGHT at all, and that a ball rolling dead somewhere on the field under Texas' possession iced the game, then the strategy was once again valid. We do, though, now have a dynamic offense which should be trusted to get 1st downs under duress.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

One really nice thing I noticed while watching the replay was how often the Texas and OSU players would help an opponent off the ground after the play was over.  You don't see that degree of sportsmanship much these days - much less as a regular thing throughout the game.  Good to see the mutual respect there between the teams as well as the fanbases. 

agreed, but fuck that doing that shit in the Cotton Bowl.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

OSU has had an all-world WR pretty much every year since 2000.  The Woods brothers, Bowman, Bryant, Blackmon, Josh Stewart, James Washington, Wallace.  They will have another next year I am sure.

He won't be an "all world WR", but one name to remember is Grayson Boomer. 

He was a 4-star TE recruit out of Oklahoma. He's a catch-passing TE in the mold of, say, former OUsux TE Mark Andrews.  He's 6'5" and pretty fast... he had offers from OUsux, Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska and others.

He was going to play this year as a true freshman, but tore an ACL in fall camp.  He'll be an intriguing person to watch catching passes from the "Cowboy back" position, depending on how his recovery goes of course.

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

One really nice thing I noticed while watching the replay was how often the Texas and OSU players would help an opponent off the ground after the play was over.  You don't see that degree of sportsmanship much these days - much less as a regular thing throughout the game.  Good to see the mutual respect there between the teams as well as the fanbases. 

Noticed that too. 

1 hour ago, Nowhichski said:

Weird quirk of Herman's. He's more than willing to do somewhat offensive things like making fun of Missouri's Drew Locke on the sidelines. But he won't run up the score, even when offensive reps are probably a good thing. 

Huh? The decision in the OSU game had nothing to do with sportsmanship or an unwillingness to run up the score. It's about milking clock, shortening the game, limiting the other team's possessions, controlling field position. Binder stuff.

Looked back at the play-by-play results to see how our offense fared in the red zone as a gauge of how crazy we were to go for 2. We ran 6 plays that I counted from the +20 or closer. The results were gains of 12, 6 (TD), 3, 17 (TD), 2, and 2(TD), not counting PAT. Granted it is a sample of low statistical significance, but it suggests that we might be leaving points on the table when we don't go for 2 against teams not named LSU.

5 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Huh? The decision in the OSU game had nothing to do with sportsmanship or an unwillingness to run up the score. It's about milking clock, shortening the game, limiting the other team's possessions, controlling field position. Binder stuff.

The only way to protect a defense in the Big 12 is to try to score points on every drive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

The best way to milk the clock, limit possessions, and control field position is to  keep the ball. We got to 36 and then several 3 and outs followed by a muffed punt, which is what got them back in the game. A little killer instinct after the 2nd int or a better play call on 4th and 3 or more aggression in those 4th quarter possessions would have iced the game much quicker, quicker still with a td at some point in the quarter. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The only way to protect a defense in the Big 12 is to try to score points on every drive.

Especially with how dialed in Sam is right now. If you have an elite quarterback, an elite offensive line, and at least one elite receiver, you don't need to lay on the ball to close out games.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The best way to milk the clock, limit possessions, and control field position is to  keep the ball. We got to 36 and then several 3 and outs followed by a muffed punt, which is what got them back in the game. A little killer instinct after the 2nd int or a better play call on 4th and 3 or more aggression in those 4th quarter possessions would have iced the game much quicker, quicker still with a td at some point in the quarter. 

Yeah, there's something about the lead-guarding mindset that's self-destructive. Even when the Line is dominating and we're averaging 5 ypc, those fourth quarter drives where they're not really trying to score just seem to fizzle. Happens to so many teams. And all of a sudden a three-and-out and suddenly the opponent has momentum. 

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yep. Incredibly, we never lost a game last year or this year doing this, but we’ve made 5 or 6 wins way closer than needed. Eventually, it will bite us in the ass, and it also won’t help us over future years when we need to blow teams like OSU out to help our playoff resume. That game easily could’ve been 43-20 and that would make a big difference in playoff rankings.  

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I'm not saying I agree with it, just pointing out what Herman is doing.

We also threw once on each of those three and out possessions. The first 3 and out we had a 3rd and 1 and called Sam's number. The one obvious conservative call was running on 3rd and 8.  At that point, do you take your chances trying to convert a 3rd and long or take a guaranteed 40 seconds off the clock?

Yeah it's frustrating when we let teams hang around the way we did Saturday, yeah I wanted our guys to step on their throats and all that shit, but situational awareness shouldn't be flat out ignored.  Keeping your foot on the gas can also let trailing teams hang around. It's not automatically the right decision every time.

Well, how many of those game would we have lost when the RB coughed up the ball on the edge, or the swing pass was picked, or there were 2 more minutes on the clock at the end? It's all very easy to say, "We should have tried for a first down there!". Certainly, but doing so increases the risk of turnover or easy score. The odds really ramp up when a desperate opponent starts slashing at the ball - prioritizing turnover over securing the tackle.

In the past, the defense has been the Horns calling card. We were more confident stopping the opposition drive than continuing our own. In that case, we were right to milk the clock whenever possible. This season, Herman may want to revisit his calculus a bit, just because we have more plays to run that don't unnecessarily create risk. Our last offensive play Saturday was an example of that. oSu knew we would run the ball. Sam ran a protected bootleg, starting the flow one way, then cutting it back. He had multiple options, even a pass, but oSu covered everything but him. He powered forward and, surprisingly, did not slide once he'd earned the 1st down. I really think he wanted to score, but decided against dishing pain (likely knowing the coach would chew on him for it).

It must be, once again, emphasized that we don't even really have this discussion if a veteran player DOESN'T ATTEMPT A DIVING FAIR CATCH of a give-up punt.

• Like 1

Same here.  I watched the entire game only making cheers on some TDs and was chilled throughout regardless what happened until the punt returner needed to just stay the fuck away from the ball and the game is won.   The Special Teams coach should have instructed everybody not to even get near the ball. If that is done, the game won with certainty.  But no, we went from having the game locked up to having Okie State come very close recover an on-sides kick with time to win.  Beyond fucking stupid and Herman needs to kick some ass.
like his own ass for the dumb calls.

It's been discussed. A good number of posters (more than half) seem to think it was the right decision. It clearly wasn't. OSU winning it with a touchdown and two field goals was improbable. We should've kicked the extra point so they'd need two touchdowns to tie or take the lead, in which case we still could've re-claimed the lead with a FG. There must be some chart that says when up 11, go for 2, but it was the wrong call at that point in the game.
lulz, we made the two pt conversion which makes your claiming it was wrong, wrong.
5c6922a61da795c5319a25f7d9b4467a.jpg

what was wrong was not taking the field goal when it was a chipshot and instead running a "stinker play".*

and not quick kicking more.

*"stinker play" was what my Uncle Cookie called a dive into the line that gained no or lost yardage. he'd get really mad when DKR would call one of those and would yell out "STINKER PLAY!".

My four years on campus went something like 3-8, 4-7 and two 5-6 seasons. My freshman year when I was in band we lost to Nebraska late at the Chiefs stadium and Texas due to a field goal. The damn coach just ran his son up the middle repeatedly, Tony Lindsay and Aso Pogi The Throwin Samoan we’re barely what I’d call quarterbacks.

We’d beaten Purdue in a bowl the year before I started there but never sniffed the post season again. Basketball tickets were hot items and I’ll never forget how loud the old GIA got in my first game, playing TCU I believe who was coached by an ex sooner...the football at Rustoleum Field never approached anything like that.

I feel like Texas is going places this year, and I know we were gifted two muffed punts but overall we competed and Sanders didn’t look rattled at all on the biggest stage of a young career playing against a Texas team that took an elite LSU team to the wire. I’m cautiously optimistic on our team but ultimately we are always playing with 3* players and I doubt I see a 2011-type season again in my lifetime.

Texas is ok with me. I’m married to a 2xHorn, both fan bases hate OU and mock Aggy...Longhorns are well educated, generally humble people and this place is my home on the Internet. You assholes make me laugh everyday and I’m glad most of us Pokes are welcome here.

So yeah, you won’t see me talking trash or getting butthurt. The respect our team garners around here makes me proud, it was earned on the fied and via a fan base that’s not a boat of delusional grandiose asshats that are grateful for what we have. Anyone who isn’t didn’t get the same experience at osu that I did.

Now go win the league Texas. I’m rooting for ya.
jesus fucking shit dicks

a goddamn "opposing fan gobsmacked by how awesome aggy and kyle field are letter" of our very own!

lulz

well done.

no go fuck youself in the ass and win bedlam.
  • Like 2

Holy shit. Just rewatched the game and the spot on the 2nd down swing pass (8 min left) to Jake Smith is almost 2 yards short. Its one of the worst spots ive seen in a while, and should have been a first down.

Instead, we try sam on 3rd down and dont get it, forcing us to punt. Anyone else see that bullshit?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Holy shit. Just rewatched the game and the spot on the 2nd down swing pass (8 min left) to Jake Smith is almost 2 yards short. Its one of the worst spots ive seen in a while, and should have been a first down.

Instead, we try sam on 3rd down and dont get it, forcing us to punt. Anyone else see that bullshit?

I thought it was clear in real time at DKR. Then once the ball was placed down, I thought I missed it since it was a yard short of where I saw him down.

Edited by Goodman

38 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yes, I was livid.

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

LSU’s defensive numbers are down, across the board I believe, this year.  Maybe their DL isn’t quite as strong as usual and yes they played y’all but I feel that their uptempo offense is bringing the defensive struggles of the BigXII to the SEC...don’t get a lot of rest, defend more possessions, and just overall what a faster pace does.  

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yes, but they fucked the osu spot just as badly in our favor and then upheld it on replay so good good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

i was pissed at the game, but rewatching the replay It looks like the ball was short when his knee came down. Not a full yard, but short. The ensuing play call of lining up with all receivers and no back and having Sam keep the ball was plain garbage by Herman. he isn't fooling anybody and leaves nobody in there to block. It was almost as bad as his call on 4th and 3 earlier in the game of a hurry up hand off to Roschon. Herman's playcalling is great except for some crucial spots in games where we HAVE to convert and he does shit that has little chance of working.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yes, but they fucked the osu spot just as badly in our favor and then upheld it on replay so good good. 

But not really. They explained why while it was being reviewed. It may have been a little short, but it’s where the ball is as his body crosses the sideline.