Oklahoma State @ Texas - 630PM on ABC: Mensas vs Mullets

Hagbard Celine

55 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I disagree its about "misreading" a defense. Gundy's offenses, including his time as Les Miles' offensive coordinator, involve a lot of 50-50 bombs to super athletic or talented receivers who make them more like 80-20 (Woods, Bowman, Dez, Blackmon, Washington, Wallace) . It's rarely a true double cover, but sometimes on really deep balls the safety has time to come close, but was never really a threat based on their starting position. Sure, some are prayers into double coverage, but I've seen enough of those completed to know it's often by design. Last year's OSU-UT game involved Wallace making a great catch over two defenders , but it was more a result of an underthrown ball. If Corndog had put more on it, he could have caught it right in his hands ahead of both those guys. He had separation but had to come back to the ball and timed his jump perfectly. 

With all due respect, I disagree. Throwing deep balls to talented WRs who are in single coverage, or even when there is safety help, is something that just about every team does.

Sanders absolutely had several egregious mis-reads.  A few examples off the top of my head:

• On the long pass to Wallace referenced, Dillon Stoner was running wide open in the middle of the field with the safety 3 yards behind him. If Sanders throws to him instead of Wallace, he walks in for a TD.
  • On the first INT that Sanders threw, he tried to squeeze the ball into a tight window to Woods instead of just taking off and easily running for a first down.
  • Same deal on the 2nd and 1 before the fake FG attempt. He tried to squeeze the ball into Wallce, who was bracketed in coverage, instead of just easily running for a 1st down.
  • There were probably 10 times that we had outside zone run called where the CB was inside leverage with safties over the top... every single time the CB would crash down and blow up the outside zone play.  Sanders never recognized it at the LOS.

Sanders absolutely made several critical mis-reads in the game, which is what you expect from a freshman QB making his 4th start and his first conference game on the road in front of 100k people.

He also made several spectacular plays, which is why the future is very bright as soon as he gets some more experience under his belt.

Once his ability to read defenses catches up with his physical ability, he'll be damn near unstoppable.

If the punt return team doesn't give up 14 points on muffs, Texas blows out OSU. Herman didn't turtle so much as the game turned on Jones being stupid and Smith making a freshmen mistake. Though I really blame the ST punt return team coordinator. OSU was punting into a stiff breeze all 3 times Texas muffed the punt. The returner depth was off. 

On windy days like that, you should maybe have a up man and a deep man, and just fair catch the ball.

18 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

With all due respect, I disagree. Throwing deep balls to talented WRs who are in single coverage, or even when there is safety help, is something that just about every team does.

Sanders absolutely had several egregious mis-reads.  A few examples off the top of my head:

• On the long pass to Wallace referenced, Dillon Stoner was running wide open in the middle of the field with the safety 3 yards behind him. If Sanders throws to him instead of Wallace, he walks in for a TD.
  • On the first INT that Sanders threw, he tried to squeeze the ball into a tight window to Woods instead of just taking off and easily running for a first down.
  • Same deal on the 2nd and 1 before the fake FG attempt. He tried to squeeze the ball into Wallce, who was bracketed in coverage, instead of just easily running for a 1st down.
  • There were probably 10 times that we had outside zone run called where the CB was inside leverage with safties over the top... every single time the CB would crash down and blow up the outside zone play.  Sanders never recognized it at the LOS.

Sanders absolutely made several critical mis-reads in the game, which is what you expect from a freshman QB making his 4th start and his first conference game on the road in front of 100k people.

He also made several spectacular plays, which is why the future is very bright as soon as he gets some more experience under his belt.

Once his ability to read defenses catches up with his physical ability, he'll be damn near unstoppable.

I wasn't disagreeing with that part,  his statement was: "A lot of his big completions were oSu vintage style. By that, I mean he completely misread the defense, threw an ill advised pass to a double covered receiver - who then out fought two defenders for a big catch!"

I was disagreeing that oSu's "vintage style," which implies past teams, involves misreading defenses and throwing "ill advised" passes that are lucky to be caught. I've watched enough games to know that those aren't misreads or ill advised but a major part of the offense.

Spencer has made several of those types of plays. He's also made many mistakes, as you've said. If the game can slow down for him in his head, I agree, he'll be one of the best in the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I disagree its about "misreading" a defense. Gundy's offenses, including his time as Les Miles' offensive coordinator, involve a lot of 50-50 bombs to super athletic or talented receivers who make them more like 80-20 (Woods, Bowman, Dez, Blackmon, Washington, Wallace) . It's rarely a true double cover, but sometimes on really deep balls the safety has time to come close, but was never really a threat based on their starting position. Sure, some are prayers into double coverage, but I've seen enough of those completed to know it's often by design. Last year's OSU-UT game involved Wallace making a great catch over two defenders , but it was more a result of an underthrown ball. If Corndog had put more on it, he could have caught it right in his hands ahead of both those guys. He had separation but had to come back to the ball and timed his jump perfectly. 

I feel like you guys will find another one just like him stashed on your roster somewhere, but can Tylan Wallace go pro already? Every time the ball gets thrown his way I pucker and it really ruins my gameday experience.  

36 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Surly-Voted-Russian.jpg

41 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

If you don't want them to post about in Oklahoma State in the Ok St game thread.... Well,I don't know what to tell you.

Well said. Honestly speaking, I just look for any flimsy reason to post pics of hot women and (hopefully) provide entertaining content.

Surly-Polo.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I know what everyone is saying about turtling and it can be frustrating but all you have to so is see what happened in the UCLA - Was State game to see why coaches do it.

When you have a lead you want to burn clock, the pirate never believed in that and see what happens. WSU was up 49-17 with only 6:30 left in the third quarter and they still lost!

a2a6de1f180922644959112b66cfcae5.jpg

Also, a lot of the people that complain about Herman playing it safe late in games are the same ones that roasted the coaches for not handing off to the RB late in the 2017 Tech game.

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The play calling late in games offensively doesn't bother me too much. The loads of mental mistakes do. Our team relaxes and it starts getting really sloppy and ugly. That is what needs to change not the strategy.

Yup, we've seen muffed punts, turnovers, penalties, and general poor execution in a number of games late when trying hold a lead.

Edited by nunna yo bizness

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I feel like you guys will find another one just like him stashed on your roster somewhere, but can Tylan Wallace go pro already? Every time the ball gets thrown his way I pucker and it really ruins my gameday experience.  

I think the conventional wisdom is that he'll go out this year, being a RS-sophomore, but I don't know... given that he's undersized to be an outside receiver in the NFL I'm not sure.  I haven't seen where he's projected to go, but I imagine just because of his size he won't be like first round pick.  But if he's projected to go in the first 3 rounds, I imagine he'll go.

(I'm also guessing Chubba Hubbard will go since it's best to go out ASAP if you're a draftable RB.)

We have a few underclassmen with some ability that could be the "next" WR guy... maybe C.J. Moore... he's a RS-freshman from Tulsa who was pretty highly touted coming out of HS. (He had offers from basically everyone, including Bama) 

He's pretty fast and has more of the prototype outside WR size (6''5") but he redshirted because he was a beanpole when he showed up in Stillwater last year.  He's caught a few balls this year, including a long catch-and-run TD in our FCS shit-fest game and also had a TD against Oregon State; but he's behind Wallace on the depth chart at outside receiver, so he hasn't played a ton yet.  He could end up being really good next year with some more added weight and strength.

Brayden Johnson has been impressive in a minimal role (he caught that one long pass from Sanders down at the 4-yard line)... but he's already a RS-sophomore, so he won't be sneaking up on anyone. 

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I think the conventional wisdom is that he'll go out this year, being a RS-sophomore, but I don't know... given that he's undersized to be an outside receiver in the NFL I'm not sure.  I haven't seen where he's projected to go, but I imagine just because of his size he won't be like first round pick.  But if he's projected to go in the first 3 rounds, I imagine he'll go.

(I'm also guessing Chubba Hubbard will go since it's best to go out ASAP if you're a draftable RB.)

We have a few underclassmen with some ability that could be the "next" WR guy... maybe C.J. Moore... he's a RS-freshman from Tulsa who was pretty highly touted coming out of HS. (He had offers from basically everyone, including Bama) 

He's pretty fast and has more of the prototype outside WR size (6''5") but he redshirted because he was a beanpole when he showed up in Stillwater last year.  He's caught a few balls this year, including a long catch-and-run TD in our FCS shit-fest game and also had a TD against Oregon State; but he's behind Wallace on the depth chart at outside receiver, so he hasn't played a ton yet.  He could end up being really good next year with some more added weight and strength.

Brayden Johnson has been impressive in a minimal role (he caught that one long pass from Sanders down at the 4-yard line)... but he's already a RS-sophomore, so he won't be sneaking up on anyone. 

Wallace is projected in the first round by most draftniks. I’ll be pretty surprised if he doesn’t declare. Size really doesn’t matter for the draft anymore. Speed/separation is way more important and that combined with Wallace’s production almost guarantees he’ll go high.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Well that and Gundy has him on pace for 388 carries this season (averaging nearly 32 carries per game against FBS opponents, apply that average to the rest of the season plus bowl game, throw in the 8 carries against McNeese State).

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well that and Gundy has him on pace for 388 carries this season (averaging nearly 32 carries per game against FBS opponents, apply that average to the rest of the season plus bowl game, throw in the 8 carries against McNeese State).

Yeah no doubt.

Every week he keeps saying that he only wants him to carry the ball like 20-22 times... but yeah it keeps being a lot more than that, lol.

33 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Think the excessive carries is due in large part to Sanders’ issues with reading defenses.  Don’t know how Mullett feels about more QB runs, but that might help.

3 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Think the excessive carries is due in large part to Sanders’ issues with reading defenses.  Don’t know how Mullett feels about more QB runs, but that might help.

I don't think that's the problem. I think its that our backup running back L.D. Brown showed a lot of promise last year but this year, for some reason, hesitates on every carry and can't seem to follow the blocking schemes. I think Gundy had plans to use him a lot more to spell Hubbard, but his lack of production and the lack of much from the third stringer has caused us to give too many carries to Chuba.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't think that's the problem. I think its that our backup running back L.D. Brown showed a lot of promise last year but this year, for some reason, hesitates on every carry and can't seem to follow the blocking schemes. I think Gundy had plans to use him a lot more to spell Hubbard, but his lack of production and the lack of much from the third stringer has caused us to give too many carries to Chuba.

Wow, that’s bad.  We’ve had a MASH unit at RB and have come up with better distribution of carries.  Surprised you can’t find some help on the roster somewhere.  Sanders looked dynamic against us, just thought he was an obvious choice - injury concerns aside.

Edited by cochamps

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Who is your 3rd string QB?  Can he handle some carries?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL.  Don't think he'll cut it.  He's a true freshman from California named Brendan Costello.  He's like 6'0, 195 and also he's a white (no racist).

Well, I was picturing someone like Brandon Weeden filling in at RB. Looking like Forest Gump with the leg braces still on.

• Like 1

Re: muffed punts

Did either JS or BJ signal "fair catch" before doing so?

I was watching the ISU/Baylor game and there was a PF penalty on a muffed punt for "kick catch interference" because "by rule, because a fair catch was signaled, the returner must have an opportunity to recover the muff". Just wondered why we didn't benefit from that rule - besides the fact that Texas doesn't get a break from the refs.

5 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I was watching the ISU/Baylor game and there was a PF penalty on a muffed punt for "kick catch interference" because "by rule, because a fair catch was signaled, the returner must have an opportunity to recover the muff". Just wondered why we didn't benefit from that rule - besides the fact that Texas doesn't get a break from the refs.

Yes, but nobody interferes with either attempt. And that rule doesn’t sound right. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 minutes ago, Modessit said:

That's only until the ball hits the ground. What happened in the ISU/Baylor game? Anyone have a clip?

• Like 1

That's only until the ball hits the ground. What happened in the ISU/Baylor game? Anyone have a clip?
He bobbled it off of his chest in mid-air. As he was hauling it in, the defenders clobbered him. It never hit the ground.
Ok, that's the difference then. The ref (Hulk) didn't explain that part of it.