Fire Chris DelConte

MirrOlure

"At the end of the day, Tom is his own man," Del Conte said. "He's the coach, he has the blueprint, I understand what he's trying to do and get accomplished and when you're in the swarm you also have to step back and say, 'Hmm, let's look at it all.' We are all disappointed from our expectations; I am not disappointed about where we're at today."

We’re proper fucked, Tommy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taking another look,  why the extended comments before the firings?  Nobody was happy, he evidently knew changes were coming, and he still felt the need to give herm the vote of confidence.  Reverse the order, announce firings, then make comments and cdc looks awfully good.  

And maybe, he would not have needed to say anything at all.  Firings should speak for themselves.

• Like 1

Kirk Bohls:

"Del Conte firmly remains in Herman’s corner, and it’s hard to blame him since he was the one who mistakenly extended the coach’s contract by two years after last season’s Sugar Bowl victory. Del Conte craves continuity and said Monday from his hospital bed after surgery for a torn labrum, bicep and rotator cuff, “We’ve got to create some stability, and we are. We’ve got work to do, and that’s what we’re doing. You have to trust the plan. We have to work our way out of this. Darrell Royal is not walking through that door.”

First off, Kirk is right that Chris Del Conte mistakenly extended Tom Herman's contract. That is apparent to everyone at this point. It makes this whole situation more difficult to address.

But these comments by Chris Del Conte are just ridiculous on so many levels.

"You have to trust the plan"....Why?....What is the Plan?

"Darrell Royal is not walking through that door" Really? That is your statement to the media? That is the message you want the fans to hear from the administration? I don't see how that comment sits well with anyone, especially Tom Herman - what a bode of confidence for your head coach.

It says he made these comments from his hospital bed. I have had surgery for a torn bicep, without the labrum and rotator cuff repair. Let me tell you, just the bicep repair is no minor surgery. Perhaps this helps to explain these bizarre comments. It's his business if he wants to address the media under those circumstances, but if he does I think he has to take responsibility for the outcome. The bottom line is that he is apparently experiencing some significant health issues, and this probably explains the lack of leadership we are seeing right now. But of course, his health is more important than a football team. He must be under tremendous pressure, I hope he is able to take whatever time he needs to fully recover.

Edited by Loather

8 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Tell me CDC is just saying that stuff for the recruits because if he sticks with Herman for another 2 or 3 yrs due to "continuity" then he does deserve to be fired. He has made 1 huge mistake by extending that contract. That's all him.  CDC will be judged ultimately by how this football does. So far he is failing. 

CDC didn’t even hire Herman for fucks sake. How is he failing? Until you can grasp that Herman wasn’t getting fired this year, extension or not, this gnashing of teeth over CDC and his comments is incredibly stupid.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

CDC didn’t even hire Herman for fucks sake. How is he failing? Until you can grasp that Herman wasn’t getting fired this year, extension or not, this gnashing of teeth over CDC and his comments is incredibly stupid.

I don't think I have seen even a single comment from anyone on Surly that said they expected Tom Herman to be fired this year. 

53 minutes ago, Loather said:

I don't think I have seen even a single comment from anyone on Surly that said they expected Tom Herman to be fired this year. 

The point is the extension is meaningless to the timing of Herman’s firing. Since CDC didn’t hire Herman and was never going to fire him this year, how is he failing?

• 2 weeks later...