Going for 2, up 11.

Knoxtnhorn

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

First off.  This isn't a complaint.  I'm genuinely curious.

Kick the PAT, and it's a 2 TD lead.

You miss it, they can score a TD, 2-pt, and field goal.  

You make it, and it's still a 2 TD lead.

I know the coaches have the chart.  Can someone set me straight?

I said the exact same thing.  I believe the argument that binder has would be:

11 Min + left = 3 possessions plus in Big XII

Percent chance of getting TD + two point + fg in those three possessions plus < TD + FG + FG

• Like 1

I didn’t like the call, but the one that was far worse was that shittastic 4th and 3 call where Sam got stuffed. Herman seems to have two or three situations each game where he may cost us some wins in tight games with some of his game management.He did cost us the first Maryland game with shit like that.

Edited by Vertigo

up 11

go for 1 and make it - a 7, 3, 3 beats you

go for 2 and miss it - a 7, 3, 3 beats you

so there is no risk for going for 2 and missing it compared to going for a regular 1 point xp.

go for 2 and make it -- a 7, 3 and 3 ties you. This is good for you. Thus, go for 2 is the right choice.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NowThis said:

up 11

so there is no risk for going for 2 and missing it compared to going for a regular 1 point xp.

go for 2 and make it -- a 7, 3 and 3 ties you. This is good for you. Thus, go for 2 is the right choice.

lol, no.

An 11 point lead means an 8 point possession and a 3 point possession ties the game. A lead of 12 means that two touchdowns are required to lose the lead. A 13 point lead is slightly better than a 12 point lead. A 12 point lead is significantly better than an 11 point lead.

We very obviously should have kicked the extra point and not doing so was the wrong decision.

• Like 4

In each case you're considering a scenario where the opponent scores a TD and XP for 7 points. If you started up 11 or 12, it's no difference. A TD beats you. If you start up 13, a TD only ties and they still have to kick the XP to win. It might be a long shot but you have to consider every possible outcome. What good is it to be up 12 instead of 11? Surely it's obvious why being up 13 is better even if your only conception of how to score 6 points is two FGs. 

There does not seem to be a single football coach in the country who understands probability or basic game theory.  I saw two coaches today score late in the game to get within 9 and both of them kicked the XP instead of going for 2.  That one is a no-brainer if you actually analyze it.  

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

up 11

my opinion is that we were stopping OSU on the reg in the second half.  make them score 2 TD's to beat you and don't let them tie you with only one TD and 2 point.

If it was really a shootout I would have been more agreeable to making it 13.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goatsaag said:

lol, no.

An 11 point lead means an 8 point possession and a 3 point possession ties the game. A lead of 12 means that two touchdowns are required to lose the lead. A 13 point lead is slightly better than a 12 point lead. A 12 point lead is significantly better than an 11 point lead.

We very obviously should have kicked the extra point and not doing so was the wrong decision.

Bingo

46 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

There does not seem to be a single football coach in the country who understands probability or basic game theory.  I saw two coaches today score late in the game to get within 9 and both of them kicked the XP instead of going for 2.  That one is a no-brainer if you actually analyze it.  

They kicked to make it 9 or they kicked to make it 8?  If 8, there is the mental aspect of the team knowing they can tie the game with one score, especially if it is late.

Herman did everything wrong tonite. If we weren't 30 points better of a team than OSU then we would have been coached into a loss. He needs to stop this bullshit of trying to run out the clock with 7 minutes left. What we need is to move the ball and get first downs and points. He could end the game with 6 minutes left, but chooses to let the other team come back. Same thing over and over.

4 hours ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

I don't see why not. Take a bigger lead, it's psychological. I think TH leans on the conservative side so it was great to see him go for it. Also it's practice for when you really do need it. My 2c

Who "practices" in the 4th quarter of a tight game for a situation that may occur later in the season?

6 hours ago, po elvis said:

Herman did everything wrong tonite. If we weren't 30 points better of a team than OSU then we would have been coached into a loss. He needs to stop this bullshit of trying to run out the clock with 7 minutes left. What we need is to move the ball and get first downs and points. He could end the game with 6 minutes left, but chooses to let the other team come back. Same thing over and over.

It's quite a paradox.  He goes turtle early in a way that makes Mack proud.

Yet, given a dicey play at a fairly critical juncture (extending the lead, keeping the ball) and he goes completely bonkers, drunken gambler, hitting-on-17 shit.

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I like up 13 vs 12 with that much time left, with 12 up a Td and two field goals wins..  

The risk isn't worth the difference.  If we fail to convert, we're only up 11.  If we kick the extra point and are up 12, they have to score two TDs to beat us.  No brainer.  Kick it and go up 12.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I didn’t like the call, but the one that was far worse was that shittastic 4th and 3 call where Sam got stuffed. Herman seems to have two or three situations each game where he may cost us some wins in tight games with some of his game management.He did cost us the first Maryland game with shit like that.

Yeah, he needs to start taking points , especially vs the upper echelon teams.  Its one thing to go go for broke vs LaTech and Rice, but Vs LSU and OSU, lets get some separation, rest the D and not risk running the franchise in those situations.  It was a surprise last year vs OU and UGA, not this year.

I still think this is part of the big 12 that he hasn't internalized yet, which is kind of amazing after ou, osu, and wvu last year. Your lead is not safe. Period.

These teams will feed off of the challenge that you're going to sit back and hope the clock wins it. You've been beating them all night, just keep playing and you'll win. Going conservative plays right into their hands.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, po elvis said:

He obviously did something right because Texas got the W.  If you think we won last night inspite of Herman you’re not very smart.  Was it his best game?  No, but most of the mistakes made last night were by players making mistakes.  The team as a whole, except for the defense, had their C game and still won the game.  

19 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I agree with Nahlin on this as well.  

Herman has worked hard to develop a tough and physical mindset but then doesn't deploy that mindset when it's needed the most. 

Yep. We had 5 scoreless drives that crossed midfield before the final drive. We didn’t even attempt a fg. If we get points on half of those the game isn’t close. Tom overthinks way too much.