Malcolm Epps

Sgt Hulk

He needs to do everything better.  He needs to use better leverage and technique in blocking.  His routes are pretty sloppy, needs reps to sharpen up.  He needs to learn to use his body better.  He's a young pup so there's time but today was a rough outing.  Burt is a non-factor so we need something from him if Collin's going to have hammy issues.

Surly loves writing off 2nd year players 

The youth mistakes can be forgiven, mistakes borne of poor effort rarely improve over time.
BJ Foster has made plenty of bad plays, but he plays so fucking hard that it leads to plenty of good ones.
Epps could block better just be trying harder and making the refs flag him if he goes overboard.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

He had 1 catch for 6 yards.  I recall at least 4 other targets.  The int and 3 deep balls.  Eagles only had 1, yes?  For a TD.

I think Eagles had a second target, but your point still stands. Epps needs to not be so finesse. I wonder how he was as a basketball player. One thing is for certain, he doesn't like contact.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

He is really slow and not quick for a WR.  His only potential skill set at WR would be boxing guys out and high pointing contested deep balls with his height advantage.  He blew two catchable deep balls tonight and looked incapable of going up to high point it in the air.  

I don’t see why he’s at WR, or why he’s playing so many snaps even with Collin out.  If CJ is out longer, we need to do some reshuffling to get Duvernay, Eagles and Jake Smith as the 3 WRs on the field in 11 personnel.

CJ will probably be back for WVU and at worse have limited snaps. Coaching staff is more than likely trying to get him healthy as possible for OU sucks the following week.

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

some of you motherfuckers are beyond unreasonable.  

he's a rs freshman.  you fuckwits.  

yea he looks shitty but again, he's a fucking rs freshman.

how many of you fucks wrote off colin john and dev when they were rs freshmen?

No one did, because neither of them were ever RS freshmen. 

Also Colin Johnson was rather impressive as a freshman.

• Like 3

The kid needs to get it together. You gotta have some dog in you to play football at this level, you can't be timid. Epps is a chiseled 6'6" 240+ lbs, like he was carved by Michelangelo himself but he plays with no physicality and is timid. If he showed some kind of effort to block on Sam's last run he probably scores. Anytime a 5'11" DB gets physical with him he gives a half hearted effort to fight for the ball. 

He's a RS Fresman, he may get better but I'm waiting for him to get some dog in him. Just from his size he could wreak havoc in the run game on the outside if he showed any interest in blocking. Roschon and Jake Smith are true freshmen and they are dogs, so youth isn't much of an excuse for the lack of hustle he shows out there. I'm not expecting him to be senior John Harris or last year's Lil'Jordan right now but show me something at least, look at what Eagles is doing when he's in the game and he's in his second year.  

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with him being young. He doesn't play with any effort. He's not physical. He plays like a fucking pussy.

On an early play, Sam is running the ball and Epps is in the area... doesn't even attempt to help. He doesn't look for someone to block, he doesn't touch the pile... he just stands there and watches.

On Jake's muffed punt. Epps is a few feet away. He doesn't even attempt to make a play for the ball. He just stands there and watches.

On the interception, he doesn't come back to the ball or or use his body to shield the DB from the ball. After the interception, look at his "effort" in chasing the DB down. Spoiler, he just trots and watches the play. He's like a super tall Case McCoy watching other people do stuff.

He routinely gets pushed around by smaller players he outweighs by 30 to 50 pounds. He's a lackadaisical pussy. He's the opposite of the toughness this program professes to value.    

I don't care if Collin is hurt. There has to be somebody on the roster we can put there who will play like they give a fuck. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Like 6

Yeah. To me, the most damning thing is what a shitty blocker he is. There’s no excuse for being as bad as he is at blocking. With his size and even decent effort, it would be hard to not be at least an ok blocker. He might be the worst blocker on the entire team outside of kickers and punters. 

Oh and he runs a 4.8. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

DD took 4 years, huh?  Pay attention. 

Yes.  He had 29 catches in his first 2 years.  39 in the reg season last year with the extra game.  Only now is he getting a lot of burn.  It took him almost 3 years to learn how to run a fucking WR screen as he used to run right into the defender almost every time.  You don't really think much, do you.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Surly loves writing off 2nd year players 

Yeah, this.

Barely a year ago, half this board was trying to explain to the other half that Sam wasn't a bust.  I remember pointing out that Colt set the school record for interceptions in a season when he was a redshirt sophomore, then he was a Heisman finalist twice.  So maybe writing off Sam as a true sophomore wasn't, you know, smart.

Kids get better.  Happens all the time when they're well coached.  And Epps has some physical gifts.  I wouldn't write him off just yet, either.