Malcolm Epps

Sgt Hulk

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Herman and Mehringer playing that guy at outside WR and thinking he would be our breakout player a couple of years ago is a pretty perfect example of all the bizarre self-inflicted wounds via personnel choices that we had to suffer during the Herman era.   I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coaching staff just voluntarily choose to play our bad players at so many positions, especially on offense.  

Usually bad coaches have to get more creative to stupidly cost themselves a few wins each season.  Even Charlie wasn’t dumb enough to just be like, “Nah, I think Kyle Porter is a better RB than Foreman.  Let’s get him and Garrett Gray on the field.  Get some slow guys and some tiny walkons out there at WR, too.”

Seems like you’re unfairly slighting Charlie in the shitty coach rankings. He did manage to not start Foreman for over half his career at Texas, even though Foreman popped in the very first game of his freshman year against UNT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seems like you’re unfairly slighting Charlie in the shitty coach rankings. He did manage to not start Foreman for over half his career at Texas, even though Foreman popped in the very first game of his freshman year against UNT. 

Weren't we still trying to make post-injury Johnathan Grey work? 

• Like 1

I thought Mack was still at Texas during Foreman’s freshman year.

There’s a video from a couple years ago, probably from Collin Johnson’s personal web stuff (he was seemingly trying to create a social media presence) in which CJ, Duvernay and Epps competed with one another in a jugs machine receiving competition. Epps is engaging, competitive, and appeared to be the kind of guy who would one day be a player. Of course, this was in shorts. But I expected more. Seems like a decent guy, I wish him well.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

There’s a video from a couple years ago, probably from Collin Johnson’s personal web stuff (he was seemingly trying to create a social media presence) in which CJ, Duvernay and Epps competed with one another in a jugs machine receiving competition. Epps is engaging, competitive, and appeared to be the kind of guy who would one day be a player. Of course, this was in shorts. But I expected more. Seems like a decent guy, I wish him well.

I remember that. Seemed like a fun guy, and he got his degree. He'll just be going pro in something other than football.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Why is USC taking all our castoffs?  Are they that desperate for bodies?  Did they see something in Epps film that no one else saw?

I'm curious which usc coach even said "yeah Epps is a great player, we should take him" ??

Orlando ??    Naivar??

Epps is a great first off the bus guy. Outside of looking imposing in a uniform, I remember him falling down a lot trying to catch a ball. What 4th on our depth chart in a position of need? He’s gonna explode at USC?

Would like to see what he could do as a edge rusher. Maybe it would make him more aggressive.

Nevertheless, hope he makes the most out of his education.

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Why is USC taking all our castoffs?  Are they that desperate for bodies?  Did they see something in Epps film that no one else saw?

They took like 12 guys in there 2020 recruiting class. This year was much improved but that plus normal attrition make me think that their depth is just atrocious. Orlando is there now so that's the easy bridge to our guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Alford and Ingram are perfectly sensible transfers to take. Epps is mystifying.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Cardinal12 said:

They took like 12 guys in there 2020 recruiting class. This year was much improved but that plus normal attrition make me think that their depth is just atrocious. Orlando is there now so that's the easy bridge to our guys. 

Epps to safety

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Carrington left with a list

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Sort of interesting interview with Epps on the Athletic, gives a bit of a behind the scenes look: 

Spoiler

LOS ANGELES — USC’s Monday was a perfect example of the state of the transfer portal for most programs across the country. Sometimes it gives, other times it takes.

Three days after the conclusion of the Trojans’ spring practice, suspended wideout Munir McClain, who last year became a person of interest in a federal investigation for applying for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, officially entered the transfer portal. But earlier on Monday, the Trojans landed a commitment from Texas transfer tight end Malcolm Epps. One pass catcher gone, another one in.

The measurables with Epps are intriguing: 6-foot-6, 244 pounds. He only caught 24 passes in three years at Texas, but four of those receptions (one out of every six) went for touchdowns. So he’s a big-bodied receiver who could help USC’s offense down near the red zone.

And although he was listed as a tight end at Texas, he won’t be a traditional in-line tight end at USC, which plans to utilize him at its “Y” position as an inside slot receiver. The Trojans have had success over the past two seasons with Drake London, a 6-foot-5, 210-pound receiver who like Epps has a basketball background, in that spot.

USC plans on moving London out to the perimeter this year and wants another big body in the slot. Epps and four-star tight end signee Michael Trigg are perfect candidates for that role.

Several programs, including Arizona State and Nevada, pitched Epps on similar offensive roles. On Monday afternoon, Epps spoke with The Athletic over the phone about why he ultimately chose the Trojans.

Who reached out to you from USC?

Really, it was my real, real good friend, he’s like a brother to me now, Keaontay Ingram. He saw I was in the portal, reached and said, “Hey, brother.” He was telling me how he loved it at USC, blah, blah, blah. Then he said, “Just think about it.” Then I started thinking about it, looking over the offense, looking at how much they pass the ball and things of that nature. Saw that and at first, it looked like a good initial spot. Of course, I had to do my research. I couldn’t just get trigger-happy. I did my research on them. I did my research on all the other schools and whatnot. (Arizona State), they almost got me. They were really good because the way they use their tight ends and all that. But Keaontay was a really big factor over there. He was a really big factor to it. Yeah, I could talk to the coaches and they’re going to tell me what they’re going to tell me so they could get a kid over there. That’s why I talked to Keaontay because I know regardless of the situation, I would deal with Keaontay when we were both down bad and he just told me the truth. If I would ask him about a decision, he would tell me, regardless if I wanted to do it, “Hey, that’s good,” or “Hey, that’s bad.” He was right. That guy is like my brother. I know his word is bond so I can trust him.

What did he tell you about USC?

First, it was a new area. It was L.A. Can’t go wrong with L.A. regardless of what you’re doing. He said he just loves it, you can go out there, relax. And he said Texas was great, and he said coach Stan Drayton was probably one of the best running backs coaches he’ll ever come by, but he said the whole coaching staff at USC — we have some former Texas coaches over there — he said it felt like home. It felt like home, one big family over there. He said, “Come be a part of this.”

Which coaches did you talk to? Did you talk to (former Texas recruiting staffer, now USC quality control analyst) Bryan Carrington?

I didn’t really talk to BC. I didn’t really talk to him. He recruited me to Texas. I knew talking to him would be biased. BC’s my guy, so I had to avoid talking to him. … To be honest with you, if BC really would have jumped in, I couldn’t have gone. I talked to (tight ends coach) Seth Doege a lot. He talked to me and we just bonded from there. It was an instant click. Then from there, Coach Helton got a chance to talk to me. He didn’t even really talk about football, though. He was just talking about life in general. There’s more to life than just football. Talking to him, I really felt I could trust that man.

Then he talked to my parents. I made sure I wasn’t even in the room. I wasn’t even in the house. So he talked to my parents and I wanted to feel the vibes. I talked to my dad and I said, “If you think he’s a genuine dude, then cool.” My father’s my role model. I looked up to him a lot, and his word means a lot to me. So if he says “You’re good” or “They’re bad,” then that’s cool with me. My mother, you’ve got to talk to my mom. That’s the No. 1 lady in my life. She’s never told me anything bad. She made guesses about people and they came to fruition. I asked mom which school seems to have my best interest at heart, like 100 percent. She said, “Helton.” I was like, All right. That’s all I needed to hear. Rolled with that.”

How did your talks with (USC tight ends coach) Seth Doege go?

It was cool. We talked about football for like 20 minutes. Other than that, we just talked about spots to eat in Houston. Spots to eat in L.A. A lot of places, like the beach. He told me what college he went to. We were just chatting about life in general, not even football.

What did they tell you about how you fit in this offense?

They told me what all the other schools told me. They’ll put me at the Y position, and I researched that position. (Drake London) got a lot of yards, so that’s cool with me. They were just talking about everything every other coach told me. I don’t blame the coaches for telling me that. They’re trying their best to recruit me. I just had to make my decision based off what I felt.

Do you view yourself more as a big-bodied receiver than a traditional tight end?

I do. I’m a big body and I can block to a degree. There are certain levels of blocking I need to work on as far as taking the right steps every single time. If I take the right steps, I block my man a lot easier than if I don’t take my right steps, I just end up covering the man and it ends up being a stalemate. But I do see myself as a Darren Waller. I’m not as fast as Darren Waller but I feel like everything else he does, I can do or will be able to do by the time I get up to school.”

Which coaches from Arizona State were recruiting you?

All the coaches. Every single one. Tight end coach (Adam Breneman) definitely. Then Herm Edwards is over there. My parents loved him. They recruited me the same way as USC: Hard. They told me they loved my family. Everything the same. I appreciated them and talked to them. It was really a flip of the coin as to where I could have landed.

How much did all the coaches and players from Texas at USC help its cause?

That’s who you really want to hear from, honestly, the players. The guys who are wearing the jerseys, going to practice, going out on the field together and all that. The coaches do play a big part, but the players do a way bigger part than people think. Xavion Alford, my guy, he’s like my little brother. A Houston guy. I asked him about it and I told him, “Tell me the truth.” Xavion would never lie. He told me what it was and what it wasn’t. Some good, some bad. I said, “Cool.”

How would you describe your time at Texas?

My time at Texas was something I needed. It was growth time. I was a boy going into Texas. I leave and I feel like I’m a young man. I went through a lot of ups and downs. It was a roller coaster. At Texas, I feel like one thing people can’t say is that I wasn’t for the team. There were times I did want to leave, but I stuck through with it. I love Texas. I love everything about Texas, the tradition and all that. I loved all my teammates. Texas was definitely a great spot, and wish them the best of luck and Coach Sark and Coach Drayton. I want to see those guys succeed. That’s one hell of a group of coaches over there and the players, I’ve been with them since I got into college. I wish it could have been other ways. It probably could have been but … one door closed for me and God opened another one. So I’m not going to question him on it. I made my decision and that’s what I’m living with.

What did you learn about college and college football in your three years at Texas?

That you’re going to have to show somebody. You’ve got to show out regardless of how many stars you’ve got. They don’t care about how many stars you have. If you can play, if you’re one of the best 11 on the field, you’re going to get on the field. That’s what it showed. It showed me you have free time but you really don’t. You can be there playing video games all day, go to school and not know your playbook or you’re going to have to find a way to balance all three. You’re going to have to sacrifice something to be a great player. … That’s what hurt me in my career a little bit. I didn’t know all the plays. When you learn them, then you can run with them. Knowing your plays, you play faster. You play faster, nine times out of 10 you’ll succeed. You succeed on the field, you’ll play.

How did you ultimately decide to enter the transfer portal?

It mostly came down to what I felt and it also came down to who I knew. Some people who were on the same route as you, like Keaontay and Xavion. I knew them, I talked to them and knew I could trust them. And the told Texas coaches, (Todd) Orlando and (Craig) Naivar over there. BC’s over there. So it’s like, it would be nice to start over somewhere where I know some familiar faces.

Did it feel like recruiting all over again when you entered the portal?

Yeah, it did. But that was three or four years ago. Now, I’ve got a different mindset. Even when the phone was blowing up, I told coaches I need to get away from my phone, set it down and relax. I have a life outside of football so that’s what I did. It did feel like recruiting, but the transfer portal’s not for everybody. It might not be for everybody. But if you feel you need a second chance somewhere, (go for it). It was a deep, deep thought and I’d been thinking about it for awhile.

When did you make your decision?

Yesterday (Sunday). Talking to my parents. They told me they were going to roll with me wherever, so I said all right. So I went in my room, sat down, just thought and made my decision from there. I came out and told them, and they were like, “All right, cool.”

Epps being sold on LA because it was a place he could get to and "relax" made me laugh, as did him saying he could "block...to a degree".

That was a great interview.  Epps did not turn out to be Collin Johnson 2.0 like we had hoped or even a mediocre TE, but he was a good representative for our school and was a team guy.  Good luck at USC, go bang some hot co-eds.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Sort of interesting interview with Epps on the Athletic, gives a bit of a behind the scenes look: 

Reveal hidden contents

LOS ANGELES — USC’s Monday was a perfect example of the state of the transfer portal for most programs across the country. Sometimes it gives, other times it takes.

Three days after the conclusion of the Trojans’ spring practice, suspended wideout Munir McClain, who last year became a person of interest in a federal investigation for applying for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, officially entered the transfer portal. But earlier on Monday, the Trojans landed a commitment from Texas transfer tight end Malcolm Epps. One pass catcher gone, another one in.

The measurables with Epps are intriguing: 6-foot-6, 244 pounds. He only caught 24 passes in three years at Texas, but four of those receptions (one out of every six) went for touchdowns. So he’s a big-bodied receiver who could help USC’s offense down near the red zone.

And although he was listed as a tight end at Texas, he won’t be a traditional in-line tight end at USC, which plans to utilize him at its “Y” position as an inside slot receiver. The Trojans have had success over the past two seasons with Drake London, a 6-foot-5, 210-pound receiver who like Epps has a basketball background, in that spot.

USC plans on moving London out to the perimeter this year and wants another big body in the slot. Epps and four-star tight end signee Michael Trigg are perfect candidates for that role.

Several programs, including Arizona State and Nevada, pitched Epps on similar offensive roles. On Monday afternoon, Epps spoke with The Athletic over the phone about why he ultimately chose the Trojans.

Who reached out to you from USC?

Really, it was my real, real good friend, he’s like a brother to me now, Keaontay Ingram. He saw I was in the portal, reached and said, “Hey, brother.” He was telling me how he loved it at USC, blah, blah, blah. Then he said, “Just think about it.” Then I started thinking about it, looking over the offense, looking at how much they pass the ball and things of that nature. Saw that and at first, it looked like a good initial spot. Of course, I had to do my research. I couldn’t just get trigger-happy. I did my research on them. I did my research on all the other schools and whatnot. (Arizona State), they almost got me. They were really good because the way they use their tight ends and all that. But Keaontay was a really big factor over there. He was a really big factor to it. Yeah, I could talk to the coaches and they’re going to tell me what they’re going to tell me so they could get a kid over there. That’s why I talked to Keaontay because I know regardless of the situation, I would deal with Keaontay when we were both down bad and he just told me the truth. If I would ask him about a decision, he would tell me, regardless if I wanted to do it, “Hey, that’s good,” or “Hey, that’s bad.” He was right. That guy is like my brother. I know his word is bond so I can trust him.

What did he tell you about USC?

First, it was a new area. It was L.A. Can’t go wrong with L.A. regardless of what you’re doing. He said he just loves it, you can go out there, relax. And he said Texas was great, and he said coach Stan Drayton was probably one of the best running backs coaches he’ll ever come by, but he said the whole coaching staff at USC — we have some former Texas coaches over there — he said it felt like home. It felt like home, one big family over there. He said, “Come be a part of this.”

Which coaches did you talk to? Did you talk to (former Texas recruiting staffer, now USC quality control analyst) Bryan Carrington?

I didn’t really talk to BC. I didn’t really talk to him. He recruited me to Texas. I knew talking to him would be biased. BC’s my guy, so I had to avoid talking to him. … To be honest with you, if BC really would have jumped in, I couldn’t have gone. I talked to (tight ends coach) Seth Doege a lot. He talked to me and we just bonded from there. It was an instant click. Then from there, Coach Helton got a chance to talk to me. He didn’t even really talk about football, though. He was just talking about life in general. There’s more to life than just football. Talking to him, I really felt I could trust that man.

Then he talked to my parents. I made sure I wasn’t even in the room. I wasn’t even in the house. So he talked to my parents and I wanted to feel the vibes. I talked to my dad and I said, “If you think he’s a genuine dude, then cool.” My father’s my role model. I looked up to him a lot, and his word means a lot to me. So if he says “You’re good” or “They’re bad,” then that’s cool with me. My mother, you’ve got to talk to my mom. That’s the No. 1 lady in my life. She’s never told me anything bad. She made guesses about people and they came to fruition. I asked mom which school seems to have my best interest at heart, like 100 percent. She said, “Helton.” I was like, All right. That’s all I needed to hear. Rolled with that.”

How did your talks with (USC tight ends coach) Seth Doege go?

It was cool. We talked about football for like 20 minutes. Other than that, we just talked about spots to eat in Houston. Spots to eat in L.A. A lot of places, like the beach. He told me what college he went to. We were just chatting about life in general, not even football.

What did they tell you about how you fit in this offense?

They told me what all the other schools told me. They’ll put me at the Y position, and I researched that position. (Drake London) got a lot of yards, so that’s cool with me. They were just talking about everything every other coach told me. I don’t blame the coaches for telling me that. They’re trying their best to recruit me. I just had to make my decision based off what I felt.

Do you view yourself more as a big-bodied receiver than a traditional tight end?

I do. I’m a big body and I can block to a degree. There are certain levels of blocking I need to work on as far as taking the right steps every single time. If I take the right steps, I block my man a lot easier than if I don’t take my right steps, I just end up covering the man and it ends up being a stalemate. But I do see myself as a Darren Waller. I’m not as fast as Darren Waller but I feel like everything else he does, I can do or will be able to do by the time I get up to school.”

Which coaches from Arizona State were recruiting you?

All the coaches. Every single one. Tight end coach (Adam Breneman) definitely. Then Herm Edwards is over there. My parents loved him. They recruited me the same way as USC: Hard. They told me they loved my family. Everything the same. I appreciated them and talked to them. It was really a flip of the coin as to where I could have landed.

How much did all the coaches and players from Texas at USC help its cause?

That’s who you really want to hear from, honestly, the players. The guys who are wearing the jerseys, going to practice, going out on the field together and all that. The coaches do play a big part, but the players do a way bigger part than people think. Xavion Alford, my guy, he’s like my little brother. A Houston guy. I asked him about it and I told him, “Tell me the truth.” Xavion would never lie. He told me what it was and what it wasn’t. Some good, some bad. I said, “Cool.”

How would you describe your time at Texas?

My time at Texas was something I needed. It was growth time. I was a boy going into Texas. I leave and I feel like I’m a young man. I went through a lot of ups and downs. It was a roller coaster. At Texas, I feel like one thing people can’t say is that I wasn’t for the team. There were times I did want to leave, but I stuck through with it. I love Texas. I love everything about Texas, the tradition and all that. I loved all my teammates. Texas was definitely a great spot, and wish them the best of luck and Coach Sark and Coach Drayton. I want to see those guys succeed. That’s one hell of a group of coaches over there and the players, I’ve been with them since I got into college. I wish it could have been other ways. It probably could have been but … one door closed for me and God opened another one. So I’m not going to question him on it. I made my decision and that’s what I’m living with.

What did you learn about college and college football in your three years at Texas?

That you’re going to have to show somebody. You’ve got to show out regardless of how many stars you’ve got. They don’t care about how many stars you have. If you can play, if you’re one of the best 11 on the field, you’re going to get on the field. That’s what it showed. It showed me you have free time but you really don’t. You can be there playing video games all day, go to school and not know your playbook or you’re going to have to find a way to balance all three. You’re going to have to sacrifice something to be a great player. … That’s what hurt me in my career a little bit. I didn’t know all the plays. When you learn them, then you can run with them. Knowing your plays, you play faster. You play faster, nine times out of 10 you’ll succeed. You succeed on the field, you’ll play.

How did you ultimately decide to enter the transfer portal?

It mostly came down to what I felt and it also came down to who I knew. Some people who were on the same route as you, like Keaontay and Xavion. I knew them, I talked to them and knew I could trust them. And the told Texas coaches, (Todd) Orlando and (Craig) Naivar over there. BC’s over there. So it’s like, it would be nice to start over somewhere where I know some familiar faces.

Did it feel like recruiting all over again when you entered the portal?

Yeah, it did. But that was three or four years ago. Now, I’ve got a different mindset. Even when the phone was blowing up, I told coaches I need to get away from my phone, set it down and relax. I have a life outside of football so that’s what I did. It did feel like recruiting, but the transfer portal’s not for everybody. It might not be for everybody. But if you feel you need a second chance somewhere, (go for it). It was a deep, deep thought and I’d been thinking about it for awhile.

When did you make your decision?

Yesterday (Sunday). Talking to my parents. They told me they were going to roll with me wherever, so I said all right. So I went in my room, sat down, just thought and made my decision from there. I came out and told them, and they were like, “All right, cool.”

Epps being sold on LA because it was a place he could get to and "relax" made me laugh, as did him saying he could "block...to a degree".

Some pretty telling stuff in there.He straight up admitted he didnt know the play book and hinted at he was told to look around or be buried on the depth chart because he had been passed up...

Hard to hate on him though at this point. There have been some that portaled out and received a ton a sit (well deserved I might add) on the way out, but I am not going to hate on stone-hands decision on this one. Glad he got his degree and I am also glad he moved on. Sounds like Sark told him like it is and he decided to make a move best for his career (good school that should give him plenty of contacts to go along with a solid masters degree) and moved on to greener pastures.

Enjoy UT- West

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Some pretty telling stuff in there.He straight up admitted he didnt know the play book and hinted at he was told to look around or be buried on the depth chart because he had been passed up...

Hard to hate on him though at this point. There have been some that portaled out and received a ton a sit (well deserved I might add) on the way out, but I am not going to hate on stone-hands decision on this one. Glad he got his degree and I am also glad he moved on. Sounds like Sark told him like it is and he decided to make a move best for his career (good school that should give him plenty of contacts to go along with a solid masters degree) and moved on to greener pastures.

Enjoy UT- West

Seems like the best outcome for all parties involved. . I think us as fan expect every guy to hit, but there is something to be said about highly recruited guys who fail but don't become locker room problems. Good on the staff for being blunt, good on Epps for not being bitter, and hopefully he kills it in LA

If he doesn't, a free Bachelors from UT, free masters from USC, and some good alumni networking certainly isn't a bad way to live. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Per touch.  Remember he went 60 on a lateral from Card.  That and his 3 catches averaged to 34 per touch from scrimmage.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/malcolm-epps-1.html

Your maths kind of sucks. 

3 rec 42 yards

1 rush 60 yards

4 touches 102 yards, 25.5 yards per touch

No calculator needed. Where did you get 34yds/touch?

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

3 rec 42 yards

1 rush 60 yards

How is a lateral not a “rush”? Do you have to receive the ball behind the line of scrimmage to be a “rush”, because “pitches” happen every game and count as “rushes”.

Who is the kid manning the stats?

08078C53-E90E-4B2A-ABA0-0782C48AA7FC.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

3 rec 42 yards

1 rush 60 yards

Just using the stats online.  Apparently to those stat keepers a lateral after the line of scrimmage does not count as a rushing attempt.  

my post was tongue in cheek.  Epps seems like a really good guy.  And he made a hell of play fielding the onside kick against Tech.  But he really wasn’t a good player for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1