Grade Todd Orlando tonight

TexArcher

Pros: We didn't let Tylan Wallace kill us.  We stuffed Chuba most of the time.  Our red zone defense held them to field goals three times.  The 4th down stops were glorious.

Cons: We didn't get much pressure on Sanders and he got loose several times and hurt us with his feet.  Our corners still need a lot of work (Sanders only fell short of 300 passing because of missed throws, one of which he was kind enough to hit our safety in the chest with).

It was annoying watching them march between the 20s, but the bend-but-don't-break thing worked well enough.

B-

Solid B+
Bend but don’t break..... like a willow tree in a hurricane. But there a ton of injuries and back ups played well. Forced FGs, stopped em on 4th down. If not for giving them really short fields on punts twice we likely hold them to 16 points. You’d take that every single year against Gundys team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I'd put a lot of blame on Herman for going full on turtle mode with 9 minutes left in the game up 13. You have a Heisman candidate 3rd year starter QB and your defense is decimated with injuries. Go out and win the fucking game. 

I completely agree with this.  I utterly despise that conservative run the clock shit. Especially with our caliber of qb and receivers. 

Orlando did his job.

Jake Smith dropped the ball. It happens, but it shouldn't.

Fuckface Baylor Shithead special teams guy Casey Horny did not do his. You fucking tell Brandon Jones to be afe," since that's apparently why he's on the field. He didn't. Brandon made a bad decision he should have been told not to make. Who did Tom make Perrin stick his neck out for upon his arrival? Fuckface Baylor Shithead Casey Horny. 

Edited by randygilman
  • Like 1

C.

Teach players to drive through a tackle with their feet while wrapping up the ball carriers body.  Don’t dive at legs and knees where their knee can dislocate your head or shoulder.  

When a QB gets the edge on you 9 times, you might want to have you edge defenders play outside leverage on their blockers on the 10th aand 11th etc.  

• Like 3

I'd give him an A- overall. Take away the two muffed punts and the score looks better. The goal was to stop the run and make Sanders beat us. It was the right plan and we executed it well (for the most part). The d-line played well and got pressure without blitzing. There were even a couple of Taquan Graham sightings. The linebackers did their job and the secondary wasn't embarrassing. There's plenty of room for improvement though.  

• Like 1

Game plan was an A.  Bring enough edge pressure and force Hubbard to run straight at the DL who mostly dominated the LOS.  Mostly play zone behind with 3-4 man pass rushing aiming to contain the QB and force him to make throws.  Mix in a few blitzes to create quick pressure.

Execution was a B+ IMHO.  The D faced sudden change situations 3 times.  Stopped OSU cold after the interception.  Couldn't stop them after the 2 muffed punts.  Stuffed Hubbard on critical short yardage plays several times.  Got good pressure on the QB late.  That created the 2nd INT and made Gundy unable to trust his QB.  I think that's one reason he ran the ball so much even trailing in the 4th Q.  That and Orlando aligning the D with 4 or 5 man boxes and daring him to run it at the DL again.

OSU's offense was gifted the 2 muffed punts and some really marginal major penalties.  Without those I'm not sure they even score one TD.  That's a good defensive performance in my book.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

When a QB gets the edge on you 9 times, you might want to have you edge defenders play outside leverage on their blockers on the 10th aand 11th etc.  

This.  

They just killed that defensive formation.  

Way to much room to run and we couldn't stop it but we ran that alignment over and over.  

They just ran to where the defenders weren't.  

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

C.

Teach players to drive through a tackle with their feet while wrapping up the ball carriers body.  Don’t dive at legs and knees where their knee can dislocate your head or shoulder.  

28 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

This.  

They just killed that defensive formation.  

Way to much room to run and we couldn't stop it but we ran that alignment over and over.  

They just ran to where the defenders weren't.  

I wondered that as well.  I'm still not a huge fan of some of our 3 man fronts, at least the way we run them.  Tonight, they just didn't seem fundamentally sound against several outside runs. 

Solid A to A+... given he had to work with several 2nd stringers due to injures, I thought he did a great job. Wallace and Chuba are the real deal. Each lead the ncaa at their position this year, and we held them in check. That freshman QB is gonna be a pain for the next few years. We do need to find a way to get more pressure on QB's, but last night was a great performance overall. Young secondary is growing up sooner than they should have to, and even though they made mistakes, they also made some plays. That will benefit us in the long run. 

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Without those I'm not sure they even score one TD.  That's a good defensive performance in my book.

Yep. Defense was directly responsible for giving up 16 points. In the Big 12, that's unfuckinbelievable.

The fact that they accomplished this with kindergarteners in the backfield is unreal.

Nobody wins or loses a game on their own, but as far as I'm concerned, Hand is the only other coach on the staff who did as well as Orlando last night.

Maybe the trainers.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
  • Like 3

Hubbard was averaging 6.92 YPC coming in.  He ran for 3.27 YPC with a long of 13 yds vs Texas.  He also was TFLed 6 times for 17 yards in losses and 4 times for no gain.

Sanders' passer rating was 181.79 with 7 TD, 1 INT through 3 games:  117.23 vs Texas with 0 TD and 2 INT.

Wallace averaged 26.0 yds per catch coming in.  He had 16.6 YPC vs Texas.

Prior 3 OSU opponents inflicted a total of 2 sacks, 13 TFLs and 7 PBUs.  The Texas defense virtually equaled that in one game: 2 sacks, 12 TFLs, 6 PBUs.

• Like 7

Not nearly as positive about the defense as others on here. They got the win and the defense had some bright spots. However giving a QB so much time in the pocket to throw is going to kill us against OU, and could set us up for an upset or two. It’s keeping games closer than they should be. A few times last night we had positive outcomes despite giving them forever in the pocket, like on the interception.

The D saved our ass last night. I give them an A-. One play that sticks in my head is that interception where the pass rusher hit Sanders' arm. Don't know the name of the back who caught that, but he went high in the air to beat an OSU receiver intent on slapping it to the ground. Kuddos for not waiting on that ball. The goal line D was solid. OSU had a lot of weapons. We held them in check, by and large.

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The D saved our ass last night. I give them an A-. One play that sticks in my head is that interception where the pass rusher hit Sanders' arm. Don't know the name of the back who caught that, but he went high in the air to beat an OSU receiver intent on slapping it to the ground. Kuddos for not waiting on that ball. The goal line D was solid. OSU had a lot of weapons. We held them in check, by and large.

Chris Brown

• Like 1

I want to say my biggest complaint with Orlando from last night was his inability to adjust to Sanders running. It was like he'd never seen that before. They would pull a lineman to lead block for Sanders and it was 10 yards every time. 

On the other hand, his priorities were stopping Hubbard and Wallace, so you have to give up something.

Overall, good game plan. Not confident about our ability to stop Hurts in a few weeks though.

18 minutes ago, fellside said:

Keep in mind Jake Smith slid to catch a punt previously this year.  The fact that two different guys made the same stupid move weeks apart probably means they've done drills doing that.  It's absurd.

we had several guys miss tackles last night, means they must have done drills doing that.

• Like 1

The D played great, I really like our DL with Roach, Graham and Coburn.  Chisolm is showing up and Sweat too.  What we are seeing the is result of relentless recruiting.  We are very deep across the board on D.  I saw Jones in there, the aformentioned Sweat, Chisolm and of course the FR Safety.  Probably cant RS Watson now IMO.  With Stearns, Overshown, Foster and Thompson out (and Boyce a mystery of sorts), the young will all play.

I don't always agree with Herman's post-game takes, but he pointed out last night that OSU had 14 possessions and scored 3 touchdowns.  

One of those TD was a 15-yard drive after a turnover.  

The defense got good penetration all night, made a whole bunch of TFL, came up big in numerous short-yardage situations, and got a win despite playing a bunch of 3rd-stringers in the secondary.

If there’s one thing last night’s D cannot be criticized for is effort. They played their asses off. They hit the hardest I’ve seen in a long time. The d-line crushed OSU’s o-line on some critical plays. I loved the take-no-prisoners attitude they brought. If the D plays like this against OU, and the offense keeps doing what they’ve been doing all season, and special teams cuts down the fuckups to zero, we will beat the shit out of OU.