Let's Check In on Jim Harbaugh at Michigan

Vic Mackey

"They're good enough, if they play good enough, they are good enough to beat you thoroughly, and that's what happened today."

Strikes me as arrogant too. Yesterday's game was a total beatdown and Wisconsin was 'good enough' to beat Michigan by just showing up. 
Seriously, if these two teams played 10 times in a row I'm not sure Michigan would even win one of them. I -thought- this year was the year they'd get the OSU monkey off their back but after what I saw yesterday, even an Urban-less OSU is going to kick the shit out of the wolverines this year. 

Five years into his tenure, 10-3 seems to be Harbaugh's high water mark. If I were Michigan fan I'd be worried about having a Mark Richt or Kirk Ferentz on my hands here a coach that wins just enough games to keep their job while never being able to cross into elite status. 

Edited by Marfa Low Crown
  • Like 3

Just now, mdmost said:

They have to fire him this year, right?

If not now, when? Seems like the body of work is out there at this point.. 

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Michigan on yesterday's performance are looking at 3 more losses.

At least. They'll be lucky to win 1 vs. the Iowa, Penn State, Notre Dame, and OSU games. I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland beat them also. 

After playing them again last night, it's amazing that Michigan (or similar blue bloods programs in need of rebuilding) will not even consider Gundy.

Every single year that guy proves he can scout, recruit, and scheme with the best out there, and yet he stays at ok State. So he likes a little party in the back, is that so bad?

I don't know how well his style would fit in the big 10, but I'm pretty certain whenever um cans Harbaugh, they'll probably hire the hot Alabama coordinator of the hour instead of a guy like this who consistently outperforms what would be expected given his built in advantages.

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

After playing them again last night, it's amazing that Michigan (or similar blue bloods programs in need of rebuilding) will not even consider Gundy.

Every single year that guy proves he can scout, recruit, and scheme with the best out there, and yet he stays at ok State. So he likes a little party in the back, is that so bad?

I don't know how well his style would fit in the big 10, but I'm pretty certain whenever um cans Harbaugh, they'll probably hire the hot Alabama coordinator of the hour instead of a guy like this who consistently outperforms what would be expected given his built in advantages.

Honestly I don't think Gundy in an all-world recruiter, it was even a point of contention between him and either Boone or the OSU AD (can't remember which). Damn good coach I  general though. 

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

maybe this response is its own joke, but Tennessee has seriously gone after him. I think I read an interview w/Gundy from this preseason where he as much as stated that if one or two little things had gone differently, he'd be the coach at Tennessee right now

Honestly I don't think Gundy in an all-world recruiter, it was even a point of contention between him and either Boone or the OSU AD (can't remember which). Damn good coach I  general though. 

His rankings are never great, but his talent and fit for his scheme are better than you'd expect based on them. I guess that's what I mean about evaluating. I don't know if it's realistic to think he's going to win a bunch of battles against Texas, OU, and aggy. But he does find the under the radar guys who turn all conference in his system.

Would he do better at um, I don't know, but it seems a risk worth taking as much as the next hot coordinator.

• Like 2

What Michigan needs is someone like Art Briles. Now, I'll be among the first to admit, rape and related coverups are kind of a downside. You'd prefer your coach win big without doing any of that, whether raping or covering up. But on the other hand, did you SEE how much Art won at Baylor?

Do it, Michigan. 

• Like 1

Agreed he has a lot of upside and I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more offers. He may be completely happy where he is of course. I don't know what his contract is like but OSU is gonna pay top dollar to keep him with less pressure than if he were at UM, etc, plus he just loves the school as an alum.

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

What Michigan needs is someone like Art Briles. Now, I'll be among the first to admit, rape and related coverups are kind of a downside. You'd prefer your coach win big without doing any of that, whether raping or covering up. But on the other hand, did you SEE how much Art won at Baylor?

Do it, Michigan. 

Didn’t they sort of try that with Dick Rod?

"They're good enough, if they play good enough, they are good enough to beat you thoroughly, and that's what happened today."
Five years into his tenure, 10-3 seems to be Harbaugh's high water mark. If I were Michigan fan I'd be worried about having a Mark Richt or Kirk Ferentz on my hands here : a coach that wins just enough games to keep their job while never being able to cross into elite status. 

The risk of that is low IMO because of his personality. Apparently working alongside him for a long period of time is simply untenable. In order for him to not wear out his welcome, he needs to win really big.

5 hours ago, Marfa Low Crown said:

Strikes me as arrogant too. Yesterday's game was a total beatdown and Wisconsin was 'good enough' to beat Michigan by just showing up. 
Seriously, if these two teams played 10 times in a row I'm not sure Michigan would even win one of them. I -thought- this year was the year they'd get the OSU monkey off their back but after what I saw yesterday, even an Urban-less OSU is going to kick the shit out of the wolverines this year. 

Five years into his tenure, 10-3 seems to be Harbaugh's high water mark. If I were Michigan fan I'd be worried about having a Mark Richt or Kirk Ferentz on my hands here a coach that wins just enough games to keep their job while never being able to cross into elite status. 

Well, he looks like he will just get 6 or 7 wins this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

They have to fire him this year, right?

Things would really have to go off the rails for them to fire him this year. Like not bowl eligible bad. Even then I'm not so sure. He's had three 10-win seasons in Ann Arbor. They're not going to rush into breaking up this marriage. 

They worked hard and invested a lot of time and effort in this marriage. They enlisted the help of a lot of former players, including Tom Brady, to court him. They opened up their wallet. Nobody was sure if he'd be willing to come back to the college game and they pulled out all the stops to convince him. They're so heavily invested in this marriage and he's still a Michigan legend. They would never let anyone say he wasn't given a fair chance. They wouldn't let him go except under the most extreme circumstances. 

Barring total disaster, I still say the clock doesn't start ticking unless/until he loses to Ohio State this year. If he wins that game, he's good for another four years. If he loses it then the end is probably in sight. But again, the record would have to be really bad for it to be this year. 

Also, why did this need its own thread? There's already a Jim Harbaugh thread. 

• Like 1

I'll rant here for a second. And understand that I'm ok with this, because I think it helps contribute to the status quo. But it fuckin' baffles me, hence the rant. 

No team in the entire country with the possible exception of Notre Dame gets the benefit of the doubt like Michigan. It's like the National media and college football world just can't fuckin wait for them to be in the national contender conversation and prematurely ejaculates to them. Every single fucking year. Every fucking year going back to Tate Forcier they have had someone in the Top 5 in terms of Heisman odds. Based on nothing other than recruiting rankings and the stripes on their ass ugly helmets alone, they are in the preseason Top 10 every single year. It defies logic. I don't understand where this "yearning" comes from in terms of the thirsty national media. Why does everyone want this program to excel so badly? 

• Like 5

I think Harbaugh is a really good coach but when I watch him in his second go round as a college coach he doesn’t seem as edgy or hungry as he did the first go round.  His inner douche does not come out as much as it used to.  Those Stanford teams reflected his inner douche.  He needs to get that back.  Maybe he’s content to just hang out in A2 and be a zillionaire and doesn’t feel it as much anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Why does everyone want this program to excel so badly? 

It's high level geo-politics.

Why did Britain ally with France a hundred years ago? To counter Germany.

Why did Churchill and Roosevelt ally with Stalin 80 years ago? To counter Hitler.

Why did the US support Saddam in the 80's? To counter Iran.

Why does everyone like Michigan? To counter Ohio State and Notre Dame.

• Like 5

He's a pretty shitty college coach. He hasn't updated anything and still runs a pretty traditional ground and pound offense. I swear the Michigan team was faster 20 years ago than they are now. I get it -- the Big 10 is a pretty traditional conference and the Stanford scheme should've transitioned reasonably well -- except that tOSU and a few other teams have bought into modernizing their offenses while he's been left flat-footed. But like the narcissist that he is it won't change.

In short, Harbaugh is a cocksucker and Michigan is stuck with him. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Things would really have to go off the rails for them to fire him this year. Like not bowl eligible bad. Even then I'm not so sure. He's had three 10-win seasons in Ann Arbor. They're not going to rush into breaking up this marriage. 

They worked hard and invested a lot of time and effort in this marriage. They enlisted the help of a lot of former players, including Tom Brady, to court him. They opened up their wallet. Nobody was sure if he'd be willing to come back to the college game and they pulled out all the stops to convince him. They're so heavily invested in this marriage and he's still a Michigan legend. They would never let anyone say he wasn't given a fair chance. They wouldn't let him go except under the most extreme circumstances. 

Barring total disaster, I still say the clock doesn't start ticking unless/until he loses to Ohio State this year. If he wins that game, he's good for another four years. If he loses it then the end is probably in sight. But again, the record would have to be really bad for it to be this year. 

Also, why did this need its own thread? There's already a Jim Harbaugh thread. 

Because it got a lot of replies? I am not searching around for some mega thread. Those are terrible. Fresh thread and fresh replies. Fuck mega threads in the ass.

• Like 1

One good year at Stanford and even during that year his only win over a team that finished the year ranked was against VA Tech in a bowl game. The majority of the PAC teams he beat won 6 or 7 games at the most and Notre Dame finished 8-5, the only quality team he played blew his fucking doors off by 21 points. Harbaugh is a fraud.

• Like 1