Texas @ WVU will be at 2:30 Central on 10/5 - ABC

Machinator

17 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Debating driving from Harrisburg to this but WVU games aren’t pleasant for outsiders. They truly hate Texas, it’s bizarre. 

I’d guess 98% of Texas couldn’t label Morgantown on a map. 

We went two years ago.  No issues - everyone super friendly.  Of course my son is a junior there and was with us wearing his WVU stuff so we might have gotten a pass!  Even then, none of the Texas fans I spoke with had anything negative to report.  In general, I've always found the WV people to be really nice and friendly.  I don't think there is the level of hate for UT as other schools such as Pitt.  Even OU is higher on the hate level than us after what went down with Mayfield a few years ago.

The DC Texas Exes will be tailgaiting in the Green lot right by the stadium.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bevo in VA said:

We went two years ago.  No issues - everyone super friendly.  Of course my son is a junior there and was with us wearing his WVU stuff so we might have gotten a pass!  Even then, none of the Texas fans I spoke with had anything negative to report.  In general, I've always found the WV people to be really nice and friendly.  I don't think there is the level of hate for UT as other schools such as Pitt.  Even OU is higher on the hate level than us after what went down with Mayfield a few years ago.

Weird. I’ve been to 2 WVU games and saw crazy rude treatment to the shitty opponents. 

1 hour ago, Bevo in VA said:

I might have to stop by!

Pepperoni rolls actually look kind of good so I'm hoping there's some tailgate generosity in that regard from the 'eers fans.

There are still tickets available for the Exes tailgate - I think it is $30 which includes food and beer.  It will be in the Green lot.  Link is:

https://www.universe.com/events/texas-vs-wvu-tailgate-bus-tickets-QG9BR0?utm_campaign=Washington+DC+Chapter+9-11-19&utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Buy+tailgate+and+bus+tickets+here!&utm_term=20190913_7588016_317430127

They have chartered three buses from DC. 

The Green lot is right by the stadium and it will be filled with tailgaters.  Bought tickets to the Exes tailgate last time but the trailer broke down on the way to Morgantown so no tailgate in '17.  We ran into another group of Texas folks and they let us join them and shared their food.  This year, we'll be driving in from Northern VA and we're hoping to get there around noon for the 3:30 game.  My son and his two roommates are planning on bringing their own grill and we'll be cooking something up.  Any Surly folks out there are welcome to join us.  We'll share what we have, or if you have something you want to throw on the grill you're more than welcome.

For anyone driving, WVU is still selling parking passes for the Green lot for $40.   From there, it's a short walk up to the stadium

• Like 2

It was 2015 we went.  Flight up was great, though it left at the asscrack of dawn.......5:30a I think.  Landed in Pittsburgh.  The Drive was actually quite pretty.  Their fans and pre-game were fun as shit.  Ended up in an unmarked van with no widows from their main sports bar up to the gates (courtesy of their athletic department and/or serial killer research center).  Game was fun, but obviously we got the shit beat out of us).  Downside though was running up this huge hill to buy beer for the bus ride back to airport.  Half our group fell down and injured themselves.  Then we get to Pittsburgh airport and had to wait probably 2 solid hours for our bird to be cleared.  Only good part about that was band got the security personnel so busy, we just casually carried on probably a full case a beer between the four of us.  I think we literally got home to bed in Austin around 3:00am.  Long day, but really fun group of fans.  But it's beyond me how a Southwest bird can land at a particular runway, but can't take off from the same airport due to weight shifts.  I mean, we all took a moonshine shit before liftoff.  

I bought tickets about a month ago. I went to the game there back in 2017 and had a good time other than the fact that the weather was crappy.  The fans that i met were cordial and non-combative.

I will be there along with my daughter, SIL, and granddaughter.  They will be driving over from Durham and i will be driving up from Texas on a mini-vacation with my girlfriend. It will be my granddaughter's first public event and what better way than at a UT football game all at the ripe age of 2-1/2 months old!

Would like to meet some fellow Surly members. Maybe.....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, texifornia said:

That's about it, it's sold out and their Homecoming, so it's not going to be cheap.

I put in late notice to a handler at LHF about 2 weeks ago when we decided to go. I need 4 and haven't heard back yet. I guess I'll wait until next Monday and then brave the market. When we're talking "not cheap", what does that mean in context of Morgantown? I guess I was thinking that worse case scenario, it's going to run me $800-ish. How far off am I? 

Staying in Pittsburgh, which I love and my wife has never been, for the long weekend starting Thursday. I'm going full Uncle Rico on Friday morning and taking her up to where I played in a World Series as a kid and showing her the museum and my info and shit. She's ... less than enthused about that part, but the drive in that area this time of year should be nice. I've only otherwise been to Pittsburgh like 5-6 times for business. If you or anyone else has anything fun or different to recommend, I'm all ears. If there's another thread for that, I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it.

The other couple is WVU alumni and we're doing Morgantown their way on Saturday, which sounds like fun.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I put in late notice to a handler at LHF about 2 weeks ago when we decided to go. I need 4 and haven't heard back yet. I guess I'll wait until next Monday and then brave the market. When we're talking "not cheap", what does that mean in context of Morgantown? I guess I was thinking that worse case scenario, it's going to run me $800-ish. How far off am I? 

Staying in Pittsburgh, which I love and my wife has never been, for the long weekend starting Thursday. I'm going full Uncle Rico on Friday morning and taking her up to where I played in a World Series as a kid and showing her the museum and my info and shit. She's ... less than enthused about that part, but the drive in that area this time of year should be nice. I've only otherwise been to Pittsburgh like 5-6 times for business. If you or anyone else has anything fun or different to recommend, I'm all ears. If there's another thread for that, I'd appreciate someone pointing me to it.

The other couple is WVU alumni and we're doing Morgantown their way on Saturday, which sounds like fun.

Depends where you're sitting, but I got two lower bowl (section 101, corner of the visitors sideline) tickets for $250 including fees on Stubhub. It's not UT-LSU prices.

Pretty excited about Friday in Pittsburgh, my dad and I are arriving early, meeting family friends for lunch, doing some tourist stuff (Monongahela/Duquesne Inclines, the Frick Collection and Clayton, general city exploring), and eating at Superior Motors in Braddock on the way out of town, which I'm really excited about - I've heard fabulous things.

Saturday is going to be pure college gameday revelry, I'm assuming.

Edited by texifornia

From what I read everyone is talking like West Virginia is a done deal. Tom Herman's past tells us that this is the game where he will prepare poorly for a team he should beat. I hope Ehlinger and senior leadership make sure that they take care of business and have the team focused. West Virginia is 3-1 against competition that is not great but plenty of teams have shown they suck even against poor competition. West Virginia has taken care of the teams they were suppose to beat. They will be ready, if we are ready they have no chance. It will take Tom and the team messing up for us to lose but Tom has shown he has yet to learn this lesson. Mack Brown learned it after Stanford. Lets hope Tom learned it last year.

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

From what I read everyone is talking like West Virginia is a done deal. Tom Herman's past tells us that this is the game where he will prepare poorly for a team he should beat. I hope Ehlinger and senior leadership make sure that they take care of business and have the team focused. West Virginia is 3-1 against competition that is not great but plenty of teams have shown they suck even against poor competition. West Virginia has taken care of the teams they were suppose to beat. They will be ready, if we are ready they have no chance. It will take Tom and the team messing up for us to lose but Tom has shown he has yet to learn this lesson. Mack Brown learned it after Stanford. Lets hope Tom learned it last year.

They weren't supposed to beat NCSt and they absolutely beat them down. Brown can clearly coach.

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Recommend “The Church Brew Works”. Good brewery built into an old church in a cool part of town. 

Then “Meat and Potatoes” for dinner. 

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

that team is completely confusing and impossible to predict right now.  their seven point home "win" against james madison was pathetic, they got fucking rocked by mizzou (who lost to wyoming), and they hung on to beat kansas by 5 on the road.  and while ncstate is by no means a world beater, wvu wiping the floor with them doesn't fit.

so i agree completely...this is precisely the game that tom has fucked up over the course of his career at houston and texas.  and this one, just like the baylor game later this year, has me concerned for the same reasons.

the good news is it seems that tom has made at least a little progress towards actually winning a couple of games in actual blowouts against bad teams (la tech and rice) instead of fucking around and embarrassing ourselves (tulsa, kansas, and maryland).  so here's hoping.  we are better than them but road game+sustained injuries+tom's history+okiestate game last year makes me scoff at anyone just penciling in a win.

7 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Recommend “The Church Brew Works”. Good brewery built into an old church in a cool part of town. 

Then “Meat and Potatoes” for dinner. 

Thanks for the recs. We are absolutely doing Meat and Potatoes.

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

that team is completely confusing and impossible to predict right now.  their seven point home "win" against james madison was pathetic, they got fucking rocked by mizzou (who lost to wyoming), and they hung on to beat kansas by 5 on the road.  and while ncstate is by no means a world beater, wvu wiping the floor with them doesn't fit.

so i agree completely...this is precisely the game that tom has fucked up over the course of his career at houston and texas.  and this one, just like the baylor game later this year, has me concerned for the same reasons.

the good news is it seems that tom has made at least a little progress towards actually winning a couple of games in actual blowouts against bad teams (la tech and rice) instead of fucking around and embarrassing ourselves (tulsa, kansas, and maryland).  so here's hoping.  we are better than them but road game+sustained injuries+tom's history+okiestate game last year makes me scoff at anyone just penciling in a win.

I watched the WVU/NC State game, but I've seen like 100 games since. I feel like there was a lot of special teams bullshit in that game that through it out of balance for NC State, but I'm too lazy to fact check that. I do remember NC State looking really lethargic all game and just not very good. I'm interested to see if they live up to preseason expectations of being like an 8-4 team.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My son and I are flying into Pittsburgh on Thursday and staying there Thursday and Friday night.  Checking out Carnegie Mellon during the day on Friday (He's a senior interested in engineering), then renting a car Saturday morning to drive down then spend the night in Morgantown Saturday night before flying home Sunday afternoon.  Following along for recommendations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

It's impossible to predict when we'll have a bad game, but this one seems extremely unlikely to be a loss. We have a bye week next week, so looking ahead to OU isn't much of a factor. Plus, we're starting to get to the point where our talent advantage allows us to not be fully up for the game against a team like WVU and still win. WVU is really bad. They're not much better than Kansas this year.  They're probably a 5 win team this year. Losing to them would be significantly worse than both Maryland losses (we're better than those years and WVU is worse than both those Maryland teams). 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

They weren't supposed to beat NCSt and they absolutely beat them down. Brown can clearly coach.

Ehhh. People are overrating Brown and WVU because of that win.  NC State is not good at all.  They lost a ton from the team last year, including their NFL QB, and they had to eke out a win against Ball State, who went 4-8 in the MAC last year. Ball State had more yards than NC State in that game, and NC State's QB went 19-34, 185 yds, 0 TDs, 2 INTs against Ball State. 

Overall, WVU's other 3 outcomes are much more indicative of their ability: Beat James Madison by 7, got smoked 38-7 by a decent but not great Mizzou team and beat Kansas by 5. They're not good and this one shouldn't be close even if Texas doesn't bring its A game. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

I fall for this shit all the time. After the coaching debacle and fuck ups against OSU this one will be closer than it should.  It should be 45-13. But the Herman tax and 3rd string secondary learning curve is more like 38-27. This WVU hex shit is annoying.  Give me 60-0 and fuck their sister wives in the toothless faces 

• Machinator changed the title to Texas @ WVU will be at 2:30 Central on 10/5 - ABC