Texas @ WVU will be at 2:30 Central on 10/5 - ABC

Machinator

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

If he's healthy, he's playing. He won't redshirt.

Playing a little devil's advocate here, but why?

Assuming you've got a healthy 3 going into WVU plus whatever Kirk could contribute, is it absolutely necessary? From a talent perspective, I get it. Him having spent more time with the 1s and 2s since spring (although, Young and Johnson should have a better grasp on the offense. Then there's that kamikaze Roschon.), sure, that's a fair point. 

Literally everything else is telling me that maybe he shouldn't be rushed back in almost midway through the season in a position he just switched to and at the very least, still exists a spectacle of doubt that that will be the position he plays here. 

Could be wayyy off but that's my read on it. 

6 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Assuming you've got a healthy 3 going into WVU plus whatever Kirk could contribute, is it absolutely necessary? From a talent perspective, I get it. Him having spent more time with the 1s and 2s since spring (although, Young and Johnson should have a better grasp on the offense. Then there's that kamikaze Roschon.), sure, that's a fair point. 

Literally everything else is telling me that maybe he shouldn't be rushed back in almost midway through the season in a position he just switched to and at the very least, still exists a spectacle of doubt that that will be the position he plays here. 

He’s really fucking talented and he’s not going to be on campus for five years, so why would you not play him if he’s healthy? This isn’t that complicated. 

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This staff’s approach is to play the best players as much as possible. If Whittington is worthy of big snaps, they’re not going to worry about roster/depth issues for the 2023 season. 

Y'all are looking at it differently, I guess. I know Whittington will not likely be here for 5 years, probably even 4. I'm looking at it from the perspective of-- is he fully recovered and is this his position going forward? If the answer is yes on both accounts, then the decision has been made. If not, it's something to at least consider and gives him options. 

And spare me on Herman playing talent. The previous 2 seasons has shown that the most talented player isn't always on the field. That looks to be changing as more of his players develop but it shouldn't surprise you next week when Kobe fucking Boyce gets confused again by just being listed again as a starting corner. 

All I'm saying is it's not out of the realm of possibilities and to quickly dismiss it may be costly. I'd still like to see him in 4 games and if he takes off like Roschon has, no harm no foul. And that's ultimately what we're talking about here is that RB2 spot. Roschon ain't redshirting. How does that rotation work when our running game is 60% Ingram/ Johnson/ Sam and the other 40 is quick throws to Duvernay?

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Logic doesn’t seem to be their strong suit. 

Yeah, it'd probably help if Kendall could throw the deep ball, but WVU writers don't seem to have much confidence in that: https://www.smokingmusket.com/2019/9/23/20879129/what-i-think-west-virginia-mountaineers-wvu-football-kansas-jayhawks-recap-martell-pettaway

12 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Are they really quoting stats from our close loss to LSU while they got trashed by fucking Missouri?

Lulz yeah, those WVU fan posts were aggy level delusion.
Their team is not good at all. They beat James Madison by 7 and lost to Mizzou 38-7 while being outgained 382-171. 

They even got outplayed by Kansas. Kansas had more yards and absolutely killed them in YPP ( 7.6 vs. 4.6). If they don’t win the TO battle by 2, they would’ve lost to Kansas. 

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Watching the replay, Mitchell was flashing a lot. The kid might have the best natural LB instincts of any LB Orlando has had at Texas. Hopefully he's a slightly bigger version of former UH LB, Elandon Roberts.

Ideally your starting S's are Jones and Foster, then you have Brown and Overshown at Joker, and Adimora at NB.

Edited by HtownHorn

40 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Watching the replay, Mitchell was flashing a lot. The kid might have the best natural LB instincts of any LB Orlando has had at Texas. Hopefully he's a slightly bigger version of former UH LB, Elandon Roberts.

Ideally your starting S's are Jones and Foster, then you have Brown and Overshown at Joker, and Adimora at NB.

In what way is it ideal to have your best line of scrimmage DB sitting back at safety and a true freshman at Nickel?

16 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

In what way is it ideal to have your best line of scrimmage DB sitting back at safety and a true freshman at Nickel?

The one where you are missing half your starters already due to injury. You adjust and move on.

Edited by HtownHorn

22 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Estell and Brown at safety, Foster at Joker, Jones at Nickel... Adimora will play some out of necessity no doubt, but starting at Nickel is not in any way a desired outcome

Yeah. This is what I’d want. Foster is most effective at Joker and Estell did well at deep safety against OSU. 

Estell and Brown at safety, Foster at Joker, Jones at Nickel... Adimora will play some out of necessity no doubt, but starting at Nickel is not in any way a desired outcome

Yep. At this point, there's weakness no matter how you line up. Might as well get the most out of Foster and Jones.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IT and the Big Cigar

Inside Texas: It's a bye week so let's fire this thing up. Is Texas going to play A&M again?

Big Cigar: They don't seem too interested for whatever reason. Perhaps they're too busy scheduling McNeese State and Stephen F. Austin. Del Conte tried to schedule it for 2022 but they didn't want it. He even chided them for how the rivalry ended. He can pick up the phone and schedule Alabama, Georgia, and Florida like it's nothing but the Aggies decline every time. Oh well.

IT: My pulse of the fan base senses a return to the Mack Brown glory days. It's definitely showing up in aftermarket ticket prices. Demand is up.

BC: They nearly eclipsed their record of season ticket holders and would have if 4,000 seats weren't re-allocated to the students. They've sold 13,000 more season tickets since 2015 and 3,000 more for students. Things are definitely trending in the right direction.

IT: I imagine money isn't an issue, especially with beer concessions.

BC: They should schedule LSU more because they sold 110,000 beers in the stadium!

IT: Amazing. Think of the beeramid you could build with that. Speaking of which, what's the latest on the big capital build projects?

BC: The SEZ will be completed for the 2021 season. That's been a big selling point with recruits. The basketball arena build will really kick off in December but they've already laid utility work. It will be completed by Spring 2022 for a midseason switch.

IT: The Empire State building was built in 400 days. Just some random trivia.

BC: Thanks. There's a problem with the practice facility. The current one is tied into the FEC on all utilities and the FEC is going to be demolished as soon as we leave. The idea was to leave the practice facility until a later date.

IT: The Pentagon was built in 16 months in the middle of a worldwide war.

BC: It can't be done without 25-30 million in new utility work to separate it from the FEC. They're currently meeting with all entities to figure out where and how the new facility will coincide with the new arena. It's a problem.

IT: What about the numerous other big builds?

BC: The baseball facility is to be complete in October this year. The new outdoor swim center will be ready for Spring. Softball facility should be complete for Spring. New track locker room and training room should be complete Spring/Summer depending on basketball issues.

IT: A bit of a touchy subject because politics infringes on every fiber of society these days, but what's the stance on the California law that would enable athletes to earn money off their likeness?

BC: Touchy indeed. Texas understands it but thinks it's terrible for the sport and not the right way to go about it. I'm not sure what they would like to see done. They know it's an issue that needs solutions and isn't going away.

IT: Innocent enough. What about the portal? I ask these questions in succession because I think they're tied together in that players are fighting for rights so to speak. That's not the right way to put it but you know what I mean.

BC: They hate it. They view it as allowing kids to quit on themselves when they need to learn lessons that will prepare them for life. Will they use it? Of course, they're trying to win games. But if they had their druthers it wouldn't exist. They're not taking big classes. They're telling kids work with us and we'll work with you. We're committed to you, be committed to us. We don't want you leaving. Let's play the long game.

IT: Clemson is getting credit for this low turnover model. I love it. It plays right into Herman's preference for developing players and deploying adults versus kids as much as he can. Herman seems to bite his lip when the topic of other conferences comes up. We know he's joked about the SEC media fellatio behind closed doors.

BC: They know not only is the SEC top heavy but so is the Big 10. Their feeling is the Big 12 is as good as any conference top to bottom. Look what they have to defend week in and week out.

IT: It's a bye week but anything new on the team?

BC: They're just trying to get healthy. I'm not sure you'll see them at full strength for West Virginia. Not that they're taking them lightly, they just want guys healthy rather than playing through nagging injuries.

IT: How are the coaches feeling about the team?

BC: They like where they're at. Offensively they're where they expected to be. More explosive, good offensive line. I told you in the Spring they loved the line and thought it would be a big plus. Defense is coming along they just have to keep working with the corners. They feel they can win out but things have to go their way. The Oklahoma State game was probably the hardest I've seen the coaches on themselves. Still a work in progress but they can score with anyone.

IT: I think they found their identity for the season on defense. It has me feeling pretty optimistic. We appreciate your time.

BC: You bet.

• Machinator changed the title to Texas @ WVU will be at 2:30 Central on 10/5 - ABC
On 9/27/2019 at 10:46 AM, Machinator said:

IT and the Big Cigar

Hide contents

IT: How are the coaches feeling about the team?

BC: The Oklahoma State game was probably the hardest I've seen the coaches on themselves. Still a work in progress but they can score with anyone.

The coaches should be hard on themselves, because unnecessary personal fouls and holding calls are on the coaches, just like punt muffs when we shouldn't be within 10 yards of the ball when it hits the ground.

Weird shit happens when we play oSu so let's chalk it up to the same mojo that the purple wizard had over us and saddle up for this critical run that can put us in the conversation.

Oh, and, Parcells.

Note: WVU gets talented Bama transfer VanDarius Cowan back from suspension for this game; he plays their version of the b-backer. He got kicked off of Bama for assault in a bar fight. Was suspended for the first four games this year, although the specifics haven't been made public. Seems like a great guy.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, squeegeedegg said:

Agreed. Adimora had one pass defense, and it was on a play in which he was beaten badly and got lucky that the ball was slightly overthrown. He needs more time before we roll him out there vs. ou.

5 hours ago, Fud said:

Note: WVU gets talented Bama transfer VanDarius Cowan back from suspension for this game; he plays their version of the b-backer. He got kicked off of Bama for assault in a bar fight. Was suspended for the first four games this year, although the specifics haven't been made public. Seems like a great guy.

Academics....  

"According to Mike Casazza of Eersports.com, West Virginia Mountaineers linebacker VanDarius Cowan has been suspended the first four games of the 2019 season. According to the source of the story, Cowan is struggling with academic eligibility issues and therefore will be not eligible to play until the Texas Longhorns game on October 5th."

ICYMI: West Virginia LB VanDarius Cowan Suspended Four Games
4:39 AM · Aug 22, 2019·
  •  
Edited by LTtxfan