HVAC Question - sort of

Tonesky

I am meeting with our architect tomorrow for what is hopefully our final meeting on plans for new post-Harvey construction in SW Houston.  The HVAC equipment, like the house, will be elevated 6 feet off the ground per city ordinance.  Driving around my neighborhood, I see lots of condensing units on platforms so tiny that I don't see how a tech could actually move around on them.  Conversely, our architect has drawn a platform that looks stupidly huge (and expensive) to me.

We will have two basic single speed 16 SEER units, probably one 3 or 4 ton and one 2 ton.  Can anyone who actually installs/works on HVAC give me a sense of the minimum size platform that would make you smile and not cringe when you show up to service our HVAC (2 condensers on elevated platform)?

They make these marvelous things called laaaaaaaaa-derrrrrrrrrrs.....  I'd take a ganders at one.

And yes it's common for them to be on one platform. Why would that be an issue ?  There's only one location you need to access a condenser and that's the hook up location.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Isn't most of the important stuff on the condenser on a single side? Obviously you don't need super great access to the side facing the house, because they always put them right up against it. I would think as long as you have room to get to the main panel and squat down next to it you should be good.

The access panel with the refrigerant lines is on one side. Unless they’ve changed things. If you wanna spend the money and build something for a tech to stand on, knock yourself out. He’s gonna need a ladder to get to it unless you build steps too.

I’d save the money and make them use a ladder to work on it.

You should get one large enough for a tech to stand on if you want good service. Using a ladder will piss them off and the quality of work will suffer even under warranty the best of the techs do not need your business and the residential company's will send there newer techs to do the job. 

Source I have a sister in law in the swamps.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

The access panel with the refrigerant lines is on one side. Unless they’ve changed things. If you wanna spend the money and build something for a tech to stand on, knock yourself out. He’s gonna need a ladder to get to it unless you build steps too.

I’d save the money and make them use a ladder to work on it.

SEE:  Post #5.

8 minutes ago, PXTX Horn said:

I did not remember this crap I should know better to post from the Seton Suites after surgery, I just logged in for the first time after starting this BS. I do not post much so I am hardly ever logged in.

My second post was posted in the wrong thread now I have another reason to not post.

The bottom line for me would be simply to have enough room for the tech to sit a bottle of freon on the ledge next to the unit for charging and as well as a place to set the gauges. Path that just have a decent ladder handy.  Six feet in the air is nothing to work from on a decent ladder, but it would be awkward to try and juggle the gauges and freon bottle, and a bit unsafe for the tech.  Honestly you could get away with very little edge if you have some hooks for the tech to hang the freon bottle and gauges.  But you ought to buy one of these to make it easy for yourself of the tech. $40 at home depot

spacer.png

On 9/24/2019 at 7:43 AM, PXTX Horn said:

You should get one large enough for a tech to stand on if you want good service. Using a ladder will piss them off and the quality of work will suffer even under warranty the best of the techs do not need your business and the residential company's will send there newer techs to do the job. 

Source I have a sister in law in the swamps.

Counterpoint.  The residential HVAC "service tech" will be the lowest common denominator in the HVAC business and your service will suck anyway.