Call your shot: impeachment between now and the election

TexArcher

Will Trump be impeached between now and the election?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be impeached between now and the election?

• Impeached and removed from office.
    • Impeached but not removed.
    • He'll resign under threat of impeachment.
    • He'll make it to November of 2020 without being impeached.

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

That's all baseline R GOTV stuff.  No different than any other year.  In 2018, we saw huge blue GOTV and I believe it was a proxy vote against Trump.  This time, you will get an actual vote against Trump.  That's the GOTV math.  

Exactly.

No impeachment, it would only help trump's gotv.  Trump loses the election with 300+ EV against.

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Trump is great for GOTV for Dems. He’s not going anywhere.  

This is where I see Pelosi's mind at. Say Pelosi is somehow successful in getting Trump to resign or get convicted. Then what.  Pence is next up in line, and he will appeal to some right leaning independents that are currently turned off by Trump's antics. 

And it's not like an impeachment will somehow cause Trump to lose votes in November.  I think the Dems are better off saying the plan is to fully focus on winning the WH/House/Senate in November and then continue the investigation into the Trump WH crimes afterwards.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This is where I see Pelosi's mind at. Say Pelosi is somehow successful in getting Trump to resign or get convicted. Then what.  Pence is next up in line, and he will appeal to some right leaning independents that are currently turned off by Trump's antics. 

And it's not like an impeachment will somehow cause Trump to lose votes in November.  I think the Dems are better off saying the plan is to fully focus on winning the WH/House/Senate in November and then continue the investigation into the Trump WH crimes afterwards.

I hear you, the problem is, what if they lose? If they lose in November and have done nothing to hold the president accountable then we are talking about a foundational shift in our country’s governance. The executive would become all powerful and we can call it a day on this whole democracy thing. That’s where we are.

11 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

We're so far into crazyville that I don't know what to expect. There's ample opportunity to impeach him, but I don't know if there's the will to do it. Unless there are the votes in the Senate it's not going to make a damn bit of difference. 

So impeach if you want to, get a line of obstruction and obfuscation and....

We're still stuck with him until he gets voted out.

This is my sentiment.  Every time I see the guy open his mouth, I feel like I'm living in Bizarroworld.  And this is coming from a Republican.  But the party I once knew is dying.  And he is the one choking the life out of it.

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Impeached.  Not removed.  No idea what happens in 2020 but the next year is going to suck so hard.

I don't know if next year is going to be so bad. Yes, if you subject yourself to hours and hours of political commentary then you may hate 2020.  Otherwise spend the next 14 months on other interests.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

This is my sentiment.  Every time I see the guy open his mouth, I feel like I'm living in Bizarroworld.  And this is coming from a Republican.  But the party I once knew is dying.  And he is the one choking the life out of it.

I might have to quote this and put it in the GOP general thread. 

Along with this

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

But the party I once knew is dying.

I would appreciate seeing some evidence that it's not dead.  Maybe I'm stuck in some kind of 1980s Reaganish era where there was at least an appearance of an ideology that sought to move the country and its people forward in some sort of libertarian, trickle down fantasy.  I know that I'm in an ideological cocoon.

Who are the good Republicans, and what are they trying to achieve, and by what means?

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I would appreciate seeing some evidence that it's not dead.  Maybe I'm stuck in some kind of 1980s Reaganish era where there was at least an appearance of an ideology that sought to move the country and its people forward in some sort of libertarian, trickle down fantasy.  I know that I'm in an ideological cocoon.

Who are the good Republicans, and what are they trying to achieve, and by what means?

Reagan deserves a lot of the blame for why the party has gone to shit. 

Looks like there will be articles of impeachment.

They won't matter, he'll be acquitted.

He'll rant "witch hunt" over and over, fully backed by the State TV Network. It will work.  Combined with disenfranchisement efforts, outright vote tampering, and a continuing massive enemy disinformation program welcomed into our country by the GOP with a red carpet, that will win him a second term.  While the office of the presidency will nominally survive his tenure, it will no longer be recognizable.  His successor, Donald Trump Jr. will try to do the same, but won't do it as well, and when it starts to fall apart, there will be bloodshed.

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Just like the democrats did for Bill Clinton ?  Party politics it's always party politics.

Because it was bullshit.

He lied about a blowjob.

Trump lies five times before breakfast. Remember why his lawyers didn't want him to testify?

I'll remind you. Because he's incapable of not lying. 

Comparing the two is silly. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I might have to quote this and put it in the GOP general thread. 

Along with this

I was convinced when he was elected that he would be the worst thing that had ever happened to the Republican party, and it has played out accordingly. It will take a decade or more to restore any semblance of respectability to the party.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

I was convinced when he was elected that he would be the worst thing that had ever happened to the Republican party, and it has played out accordingly. It will take a decade or more to restore any semblance of respectability to the party.

Not if I have anything to say about it.  The party should be burned to the ground and the earth upon which the ashes fall should be salted.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Stopped reading here at your ignorant blanket posting about what everyone in a group thinks.

How has that group acted so far? We can't know what they think, but their actions speak for them. Do you support their actions to this point in solidarity with this President? 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not if I have anything to say about it.  The party should be burned to the ground and the earth upon which the ashes fall should be salted.

Assuming the country survives this, no one with any decency will decide to enter into politics as a Republican. There's going to have to be a new conservative party, maybe the dems split in two.

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Fuck that. That party should die for what they’ve attempted to do and have done to this country. Good riddance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Assuming the country survives this, no one with any decency will decide to enter into politics as a Republican. There's going to have to be a new conservative party, maybe the dems split in two.

Naaah.  They'll just use their disinformation machine of State TV and their closest ally, an enemy power, to convince the masses that nothing wrong actually happened.  And it will likely work.  Because we're the stupidest fucking country on the fucking planet.  Tuvalu fucking laughs at us. If there was a country called Dumbfuckistan, THEY would laugh at us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

This is the Republican Party now.

And any who vote for it are as complicit as the traitor currently staining the Oval Office.

any vote for, or support of any R for any office, at any level, is support for Trump and is complicity in Trump's treason.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

There's going to have to be a new conservative party, maybe the dems split in two.

This is natural progression.  People will either vote for the extreme left, or towards the middle. But things will continue to move to the left.  Nothing is going to move right; the goal of the right is to keep what they currently have as long as possible before it moves left. 

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So can I honestly ask if you think a single dominant political party is in the best interest of the country?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So can I honestly ask if you think a single dominant political party is in the best interest of the country?

There won’t be a single dominant political party. There will be in the short term but another party will rise. Why are you pretending we need the Republican Party?

And in the short term it likely is in the best interest of the country. It will allow them to fix the decades of abuse and malfeasance but our government. Maybe then we can actually provide decent education, healthcare, and wages to our country.

Edited by hobbes2702

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Of course not.  But see Hobbes2702's response.  Something else can and should arise to be a second party.  Who knows, I might even support that party.  But the GOP, which at this point is nothing but a toxic blend of a cult, white supremacy, and naked service to oligarchs - with an added dose of continuing to advance core concepts that are either proven failures or are flat-out lies (see the Laffer Curve, see "we're the party of fiscal responsibility) - has no redeeming value left.

I suspect that many people who belong to the GOP -- think a lot of local level folks, who generally believe along the historical moderate conservative bent (think city officials, local judges, that sort of thing) -- will lead the subsequent party.

But, I mean, who am I kidding.  The GOP survives, it consolidates power, and it completely destroys the rule of law in the process.  This democratic republic is dead, it's just that nobody has the guts to pull the plug and call it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

There won’t be a single dominant political party. There will be in the short term but another party will rise. Why are you pretending we need the Republican Party?

And in the short term it likely is in the best interest of the country. It will allow them to fix the decades of abuse and malfeasance but our government. Maybe then we can actually provide decent education, healthcare, and wages to our country.

No, I agree the party as constructed needs to be deconstructed and reconstructed.  But there needs to be (at least) a second political party to function as a check.

I have already spent more time in this forum than I should.  My doctor advises against being in here at all.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Stopped reading here at your ignorant blanket posting about what everyone in a group thinks.

She's a whole lot more right than wrong. 

Just look at what's going on. The Republican Party is dead. It no longer exists in large part b/c Republicans can't be bothered to do the right thing.

Edited by Asithappens

Those of you that think Trump will remain president after losing the election, as if he has the power or level of support required... or that any vote for any repub at any level is treason are dangerously unhinged. Get a grip. He's going to lose the election, the repubs will lose the Senate. The repubs will spend the next 2 years rebranding as necessary during a past due recession ("the deficit!!1") to try to win the 2022 mid terms.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Looks like there will be articles of impeachment.

They won't matter, he'll be acquitted.

He'll rant "witch hunt" over and over, fully backed by the State TV Network. It will work.  Combined with disenfranchisement efforts, outright vote tampering, and a continuing massive enemy disinformation program welcomed into our country by the GOP with a red carpet, that will win him a second term.  While the office of the presidency will nominally survive his tenure, it will no longer be recognizable.  His successor, Donald Trump Jr. will try to do the same, but won't do it as well, and when it starts to fall apart, there will be bloodshed.

I think the most likely outcome is that the House impeaches and McConnell elects to not even bother with a Senate trial. That protects his members from having to go on record voting in support of an overwhelming amount of criminal conduct. Then they steal the election in 2020 and pretend the election result confirms Trump's innocence.

There are only 30 GOP senators that aren't up for reelection.  I think there would be a better chance if there weren't so many republican senators that can be primaried next year but it's still possible you can find 20 republican senators that see a way to end this entire saga and still preserve 2020 with a Pence re-election. Trump is much less popular in the senate particularly with his treatment of McCain and Sessions. 

Here are the republicans not up for reelection in 2020

Barrasso, John (R-WY)
Blackburn, Marsha (R-TN)
Braun, Mike (R-IN)
Cramer, Kevin (R-ND)
Cruz, Ted (R-TX)
Fischer, Deb (R-NE)
Hawley, Josh (R-MO)
Romney, Mitt (R-UT)
Scott, Rick (R-FL)

Wicker, Roger F. (R-MS)

Blunt, Roy (R-MO)
Boozman, John (R-AR)
Burr, Richard (R-NC)
Crapo, Mike (R-ID)
Grassley, Chuck (R-IA)
Hoeven, John (R-ND)
Isakson, Johnny (R-GA)
Johnson, Ron (R-WI)
Kennedy, John (R-LA)
Lankford, James (R-OK)
Lee, Mike (R-UT)
McSally, Martha (R-AZ)
Moran, Jerry (R-KS)
Murkowski, Lisa (R-AK)
Paul, Rand (R-KY)
Portman, Rob (R-OH)
Rubio, Marco (R-FL)
Scott, Tim (R-SC)
Shelby, Richard C. (R-AL)
Thune, John (R-SD)
Toomey, Patrick J. (R-PA)
Young, Todd (R-IN)

I think you might have to worry about democrat Doug Jones who is facing a rough re-election. Overall, I think you find the senators willing to roll on Trump and the country moves on.... assuming Trump physically leaves the White House.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Don't want to be mean or kick a man when he's down, but man, I hate to break it to you but the Republican Party you knew died in 2009/10. Hell the Party of Lincoln died even longer ago.