Survivor: Island of the Idols

pied

I can guess by the title of the season, it's going to piss people off.

The Emmy Award-winning series Survivor returns for its 39th season, themed "Island of the Idols." This edition features two legendary winners, Boston Rob Mariano and Sandra Diaz-Twine, who return to the game to serve as mentors to a group of 18 new players. Combined, Boston Rob and Sandra have played over 200 days in this game and plan to share their knowledge with the new castaways, but for the first time ever, they won't be competing for the money. During the 39 days, these new players will visit the Island of the Idols and learn skills and strategy from these "idols." The new players will then put their knowledge to the test and those who can rise up to the challenge will continue their quest for $1 million and the title of Sole Survivor.

4 hours ago, pied said:

I can guess by the title of the season, it's going to piss people off.

The Emmy Award-winning series Survivor returns for its 39th season, themed "Island of the Idols." This edition features two legendary winners, Boston Rob Mariano and Sandra Diaz-Twine, who return to the game to serve as mentors to a group of 18 new players. Combined, Boston Rob and Sandra have played over 200 days in this game and plan to share their knowledge with the new castaways, but for the first time ever, they won't be competing for the money. During the 39 days, these new players will visit the Island of the Idols and learn skills and strategy from these "idols." The new players will then put their knowledge to the test and those who can rise up to the challenge will continue their quest for $1 million and the title of Sole Survivor.

Learn "new strategies" = search camp, challenge obstacles, around the water hole, and weird looking rocks or trees for the 48 idols that will be available this season........

11 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Funny you should mention this, that’s exactly what they are doing next season.

Here are the players, if you’re interested:

http://insidesurvivor.com/cast/survivor-season-40-cast-revealed

My memory sucks as much as OU.  I only remember 5-6 of those people winning, and some I don't remember at all.  I did check out of Survivor fandom for a handful of seasons, so that may have something to do with it.

Edited by idigTexas
OU sucks.

15 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I don't mind Rob, but I can't stand Sandra. 

I'll prob do what I do every season.  Bitch for the first 2 weeks, get hooked, and enjoy the rest of the season.

Rob is OK in small doses it just depends on how much he lets his ego talk for him. Sandra is the worst winner of all time and hands down the most annoying. 

• Like 1

One of my fav scenes of all time was a Rob moment.  He was on a tribe w/ Amber.  They got split.  Hw whispered to another guy, "Take care of her and I'll take care of you".  Such a cool moment IMO.  

He and Wahlburg may be about the only two Bostonians I've ever liked.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

5 hours ago, idigTexas said:

My memory sucks as much as OU.  I only remember 5-6 of those people winning, and some I don't remember at all.  I did check out of Survivor fandom for a handful of seasons, so that may have something to do with it.

I've missed one episode my entire life and don't recall several of them.  

One of my fav scenes of all time was a Rob moment.  He was on a tribe w/ Amber.  They got split.  Hw whispered to another guy, "Take care of her and I'll take care of you".  Such a cool moment IMO.  
He and Wahlburg may be about the only two Bostonians I've ever liked.

Lulz. He said that to Lex. Lex took care of Amber then Rob had him voted off at the next TC
  • Like 1

I think you have to tell the group about Rob & Sandra, and tell them that they taught her to make a fire.  Nothing else. The other tribal members could easily think she's sitting on an idol from Island of the Idols and want her out.  You need to eliminate that misconception now. 

Rob made a great point about not just accepting deals thrown your way. Toss in a counter-offer.  I think this has worked with Probst a few times as well.  "Rob - you've already proven you can start a fire much faster than me.  How about you give me a 1-minute head start."  It's not like this is costing Rob any money.

Small world. The term Hmong rang a bell when Vince was introduced.  Turns out, a new teacher on our grade level is also Hmong.  I told her about the guy on Survivor, she looked him up and, sure enough, they grew up together.  

I too was perplexed by the info the Olympic swimmer gave the tribe upon returning.  She didn't appear to be in any danger.  All she did was prove that she'd lie to her closest tribe mates.  I wasn't sure what her end game was considering the truth will come out pretty soon.

Elaine got a lot of positive editing.  We learned last season that editing isn't reliable for picking a winner, but it does likely mean that she will at least make the merge.  Clearly we are supposed to root for her. 

I agree about Elizabeth lying as well as the lameness of teaching her to make fire, unless it will be a common occurrence this season for some reason. 

There are a lot of survivors that I want to know better...which means they will likely all be eliminated in short order. 

Pretty bold, putting the idol in her hair.  

A lot less "mentoring" and really just setting up the challenge.  Really interested to see next week when we have the first tribe with two people having visited the island. I'd guess that they will come back with a similar story, but that will fall apart soon, especially if the people are on two different alliances.  

Also, idols are around and available it would seem.  Easy to spot too.

If you're in a relatively stable spot, there's little reason to upset the apple cart by a blindside. Vote off the obvious person and move on.  If there were 3 instead of 2 tribes, I can understand more drastic moves as you're rarely safe with 5-6 tribe members. You have to play loose and fast. With 9-10 tribe members, do the easy move. Vote off the weak and/or annoying people. It's about the tribe not you.

The right move would be to vote off the yoga woman. She disagrees with everyone, wants them to exercise, and can't control her emotions. I agree that she should attempt a blindside, as her best move,  but the rest should ignore her.

Seems like a big change over the years.  Originally it was the alliance >>> everyone else, then became about the tribe surviving until and after the merge, and now you have people looking at the final three from the start.

People want to get rid of sympathetic players and threats to win, regardless of whether they can help sustain the tribe (provide food) or win challenges.  

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Lying about the island is going to get some people voted out.  They have no way of keeping it a secret so it's stupid to lie about it.

Yep. It might make you a target when others learned that you spoke with Rob and Sandra but lying is worse. 

"you won't believe that Boston Rob and Sandra were there to give me advice"

"they told me a lot about themselves which I barely paid attention"

"they offered me a quiz to earn an immunity idol vs losing my vote. I passed. you can check me for an idol."

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Lying about the island is going to get some people voted out.  They have no way of keeping it a secret so it's stupid to lie about it.

100%

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. It might make you a target when others learned that you spoke with Rob and Sandra but lying is worse. 

"you won't believe that Boston Rob and Sandra were there to give me advice"

"they told me a lot about themselves which I barely paid attention"

"they offered me a quiz to earn an immunity idol vs losing my vote. I passed. you can check me for an idol."

Yeah the early visitors are basically fucked either way. I would have told a half truth as opposed to flat out lying. 

"Boston Rob and Sandra give you advice on the game, their experiences, etc"

Leave it at that. 

Heard an odd item about Boston Rob and Sandra on the Rob (not Boston) Has a Podcast recap. Producers are claiming that Boston Rob and Sandra are staying on Idol island as if they were playing the game, and not back at the camp/hotel with the rest of the crew and Probst.  Why would they put themselves through that discomfort to speak to one of the contestants for a short time every 3 days?

I know it's been said that they cannot win the game, but will BR and Sandra go live at the camp(s) at some point as well? Once every one knows they're there, there isn't a reason they wouldn't visit the camps from time to time.

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Heard an odd item about Boston Rob and Sandra on the Rob (not Boston) Has a Podcast recap. Producers are claiming that Boston Rob and Sandra are staying on Idol island as if they were playing the game, and not back at the camp/hotel with the rest of the crew and Probst.  Why would they put themselves through that discomfort to speak to one of the contestants for a short time every 3 days?

I know it's been said that they cannot win the game, but will BR and Sandra go live at the camp(s) at some point as well? Once every one knows they're there, there isn't a reason they wouldn't visit the camps from time to time.

Yeah, they are for sure going to be a bigger part of the game down the line. Whether they join each tribe at some point or have a say in who wins the game it's for sure coming. I doubt it is just these silly "mentor" clips each show. 

And boy were those questions to get an idol easy. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe it was a miscommunication as they are apparently on next season's #40.

My first thought as well about voting off the only halfway decent hot chick on the island.

Also, is it me, or is this season full of mostly unlikable people?   

It's usually tough to judge a cast this early as they are trying to give air time to everyone that has an interesting take and also start to build the season long story for those that are going to make it to the end without making it obvious. In the early years it was pretty easy to do all that because they had nothing but time on their hands. Now with all the extra shit they stuff into an episode: idol hunt, challenges, tribal, and then throw in Rob and Sandra that are going to need their time every episode there isn't much left. So you get annoying Nora teaching yoga and that's about it. 

But yes as a whole there isn't anyone I am really saying, oh they seem cool I hope they win, at least right now. 

Hulu has all the seasons, and sometimes if I don’t respond quickly enough after a new show ends, Survivor Season 1 Ep 1 will start playing, and I’m reminded of the evolution of the broadcast. Since it was new, they didn’t have the style nailed yet, and the focus was on deprivation and isolation. And how much the cast members bugged the shit out of each other. The pace is too slow to keep watching, but it’s informative.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Hulu has all the seasons, and sometimes if I don’t respond quickly enough after a new show ends, Survivor Season 1 Ep 1 will start playing, and I’m reminded of the evolution of the broadcast. Since it was new, they didn’t have the style nailed yet, and the focus was on deprivation and isolation. And how much the cast members bugged the shit out of each other. The pace is too slow to keep watching, but it’s informative.

Agree. The pace in the early couple of season would never work in today's chase a squirrel instant gratification needy viewers. But they could most certainly find a happy medium.   

11 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Geez the shit with Rob and Sandra is stupid as F.  

Lol at the Indian girl.  I've seen more blood on some of my 1st graders on the playground.

I'm liking the k-12 admissions dude.  He's funny.  Fat lifeguard swam pretty well with the Olympian until she had to dive.

I just fast forward through the Rob and Sandra stuff. It's boring as shit and worthless for the show. Add Vince to the ever growing list of idiots going home with an idol in their pocket. 

Maybe it happened off screen, but why wouldn't Vince and Elizabeth compare notes about the Island of the Idols?  It's stupid to target someone just because they went to the island and might have an idol unless they considered Vince a legitimate threat to win, which should not have been the case.

Fuck the island.  It doesn't give you an advantage; it makes you a target. 

What did Karishma say to the women before the vote? 

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

Maybe it happened off screen, but why wouldn't Vince and Elizabeth compare notes about the Island of the Idols?  It's stupid to target someone just because they went to the island and might have an idol unless they considered Vince a legitimate threat to win, which should not have been the case.

Fuck the island.  It doesn't give you an advantage; it makes you a target. 

What did Karishma say to the women before the vote? 

For some reason, they didn't show it.  I was also looking forward to the first "compare notes" session.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/10/survivor-vince-moua-island-of-the-idols-interview/

So did you ever have a private discussion with Elizabeth or about your visits since you are the only two who really know what’s going on there?
Yeah, I did. Immediately when I got back, Elizabeth was one of the first people to come to me. And I was like, “Girl, I know where you got the idea to put the papaya underneath to dig a hole and put the papaya in the hole [to make fire],” because Rob and Sandra gave us a lot of advice on even just general living stuff. So, we talked and I was like, “Yo, I think it’s gonna be great if you and I could just stick together because in the future, if it turns out that we’re going to have to send people and we can choose, we can pick and choose each other.” And she was also on the same page with that.

So at that moment I was kind of confused about what happened with her and whether or not she was able to get something or if she lost her vote. But we didn’t have enough time. Honestly, there was only like an hour before we had to go out to the challenge, so I just didn’t have enough time that day to really collect everything.

I love the Rob and Sandra bit but everything else is really irritating me. This is the third episode in a row where multiple people are crying over this game. Jesus christ when was the last time we had such an emotional season like this? I'm not talking about family coming back/people getting outed for their sexuality emotional. Just crying for the hell of it. Crying because you like survivor. Crying because you saw boston rob. What the hell is going on this season?