Survivor: Island of the Idols

pied

2 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I love the Rob and Sandra bit but everything else is really irritating me. This is the third episode in a row where multiple people are crying over this game. Jesus christ when was the last time we had such an emotional season like this? I'm not talking about family coming back/people getting outed for their sexuality emotional. Just crying for the hell of it. Crying because you like survivor. Crying because you saw boston rob. What the hell is going on this season?

Its just the way younger people are now. It's like everyone saying "I love you" on big brother.  The fuck outta here.

• Like 1

Finally caught up last night and just read the info from Vince above.  Seems like the editors are missing the boat.  The whole "go o the other camp" seemed dopey.  the game and advancing is so much more about relationships/and strategy than some camp raid or even the "keeping cool under pressure" crap they spun it.  The most intriguing thing (to me) is how it would be after the second person got back and they could compare notes and they missed the mark on that.  

Also, is no one else looking for an idol in a game called "Island f the Idols"?  I can only recall two.

8 hours ago, pied said:

Finally caught up last night and just read the info from Vince above.  Seems like the editors are missing the boat.  The whole "go o the other camp" seemed dopey.  the game and advancing is so much more about relationships/and strategy than some camp raid or even the "keeping cool under pressure" crap they spun it.  The most intriguing thing (to me) is how it would be after the second person got back and they could compare notes and they missed the mark on that.  

Also, is no one else looking for an idol in a game called "Island f the Idols"?  I can only recall two.

LOL at your written Freudian slip.... Island f the idols.  Agree with everything else you said as well, though, I'm pretty sure the "hidden" idol concept is around so that the producers can steer results a certain way.  Oh look, Rupert or Cochran or Joe found another idol right before getting voted out unanimously.

• Like 1

Last season’s winner confirmed what I’ve believed for years.  That the producers have little or no major role in who wins or even who goes far.  No one wanted someone who was in the game for a total of 5-7 days to win the game.  Conspiracy theories continue to be silly.

It seems like the harder they try to come up with some fresh gimmick, the more it falls flat, and they end up giving it minimal inconsequential editing.  I think the producers were likely caught off guard when visiting the Island of the Idols turned out to be way more of a disadvantage than a plus. 

Rob and Sandra won years and years ago when it was a different game.  Their tests and advice don't seem at all in touch with the way the game is currently being played, and it even got Vince sent home.  Why does the visitor not get to choose the lesson?  And as others have said, why on earth do these master manipulators not advise the visitors how to spin a convincing explanation that won't lead them to getting voted out?  Being a convincing liar is still a useful skill...put it to use. 

On the plus side, it was funny as hell watching Noura completely fail.  The show has certainly changed over the years but the self-unaware survivor is still comedy gold.

Also, that's two contestants in a row who have gone home holding an idol.  More of that please.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:48 PM, Bosco said:

Last season’s winner confirmed what I’ve believed for years.  That the producers have little or no major role in who wins or even who goes far.  No one wanted someone who was in the game for a total of 5-7 days to win the game.  Conspiracy theories continue to be silly.

You may be right about the producers not caring who wins.  Why should they?  There's no need to keep viewers tuned in for another week at that point.  That said, if you don't think the producers are manipulating the game to keep entertaining or polarizing personalities in play, then I finally know the surly avatar of this guy.

stillrealtome.jpg

On 10/16/2019 at 7:48 PM, Bosco said:

They don't care who wins but they absolutely want to make good TV and in turn need to tell a story that viewers will enjoy. Last season blew up in their face and they would never admit it but they never thought someone who was actually in the game for that little amount of time would win. 

I'm not sure how this season will play out but the Rob and Sandra stuff has been a dud of a "new twist" if you ask me. 

48 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I'm not sure how this season will play out but the Rob and Sandra stuff has been a dud of a "new twist" if you ask me. 

My completely baseless theory is that both Rob and Sandra asked for more money that CBS could justify to bring them back for the upcoming all-winners season, so the producers got creative and made this twist solely to double the number of episodes each would be in.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster

19 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

My completely baseless theory is that both Rob and Sandra asked for more money that CBS could justify to bring them back for the upcoming all-winners season, so the producers got creative and made this twist solely to double the number of episodes each would be in.  

Ha probably not far off. I believe Rob's wife is on next season. 

pretty meh episode.  That immunity challenge looked rough though.  No Rob/Sandra?  Still no discussion of idol island or anyone looking for idols.  Vote wasn't particularly interesting.  This is the first season my son's watched with me so I'll keep on keeping on, but so far not much going on.

I get product placement and sponsorship, but wow.

Edited by pied

15 hours ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Applebees?  I might have thrown that reward challenge 

User name does not check out.  

I guess that shows what not getting to eat good food for a couple of weeks will do to a human being.  It's like how they all cry at just the thought of a letter from home.  This is the food version of this.  I wouldn't walk across the street for free Applebees and these people act like Ruth's Chris is showing up on the island.  Fuck.  Now I want steak.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Of courae Applebee's is the useless Indian chick's fav.  Anyone else cringe a bit when she was complaining about currently being married?

i lost all interest in her when she kneeled on the ground holding her bleeding hand out.  she should have never been allowed on survivor.  to pick applebee's as your favorite restaurant shows you have no class, culture, or personality.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:27 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wife called it.  Mediocre food for mediocre people.  I'm rarely a show-shitter, but this season is pretty bad.  Other than the large black dude, the rest are all so blah and unlikable.

i liked the hockey player.  sad to see him go.  he was very likable, good in challenges, worked in camp, played the social game.  it has been a disappointing season, and i have to guess a disappointment on the producers part that rob and sandra haven't made more of an impact.  that idea has been the dud that symbolizes the season, imo.

Yeah, blah season, Rob/Sandra was a complete misstep, and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn there was indeed a trip to the island for someone, but it had no impact on the game, so they edited it out. I was rooting for one of the yoga chick’s implants to explode, just for something to happen. 

And add me to the group who is way over the whiny woman who should have been kicked out a month ago. I’m too lazy to look up her name, and I really don’t want to call her “the Indian chick,” but I guess I just did.

• Like 1

No no no, didn't you get the memo?  You are supposed to have sympathy for Karishma, and pull for her to do well.  <production meeting> "I know, let's focus on the person who has zero skills in challenges, contributes nothing at camp, is not entertaining in any way, but has a personal story that we can spin as some sort of oppression thing, even though it was completely her choice to go along with it." <\production meeting>

I can't find anyone I want to even make the merge, much less win.  This is one of the worst seasons they have had in a long time ever. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 12:36 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Of courae Applebee's is the useless Indian chick's fav.  

Meh, production made all of them gush over applebee's in order to get the product placement check.  Agree that it's not been a very good season so far.

It was ok.  Thought the whole apology thing was a bit much, but whatever.  Finally got some post-island interaction.  Really thought Aaron had switched on the vote.  Some interesting challenges.  Still interested that we haven't seen anyone looking for idols.  

I did enjoy the discussion of the Island of the Idols.  One thing I don't really get is Rob focusing on the fact that they accept the challenge right off the bat.  I'm pretty sure everyone would, seems like he's pissed every time they do that, but no one has seen anything like this so what's he expecting?  

Of course that changes the next time they try this, but whatever.  Thought for sure she wasn't going to notice the advantage falling out.

• Like 1

I did enjoy the discussion of the Island of the Idols.  One thing I don't really get is Rob focusing on the fact that they accept the challenge right off the bat.  I'm pretty sure everyone would, seems like he's pissed every time they do that, but no one has seen anything like this so what's he expecting?  

Of course that changes the next time they try this, but whatever.  Thought for sure she wasn't going to notice the advantage falling out.

The whole durag thing was silly. That said they could have gone way over the top with the response to it but thought it was done about as perfect as they could based on the little "story" they have going on this season with the meh cast. 

I'll keep watching but this season is starting to rocket up the charts of worst ever, still plenty of time left that could change but not holding out much hope with who is left. 

the last two people voted off have been interesting.  both were quiet and kept a low profile, but strong and could have won it. it seems they are all playing the same strategy of keeping around the noras and indian chicks and getting rid of the threats.  elaine is playing the best game so far, at least she's the most obviously playing the game.  cant imagine her winning it because she's too vocal, so i think she's another one they're dragging along.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:53 PM, Horn80 said:

This season is not working for me.  It sucks so far and don’t see it getting better.  They ought to return to Season 1 and 2 format.

More than half way through and still haven’t change my opinion.  This is a shit show season and possibly the worst cast ever.  Think the gimmick of bringing back Rob and Sandra is useless and who cares what they say while watching tribal votes?  Don’t see how this awful season can get better at this point unless there is some kind of a big twist involving Rob and Sandra to justify their presence.

On November 4, 2019 at 9:47 AM, Horn80 said:

More than half way through and still haven’t change my opinion.  This is a shit show season and possibly the worst cast ever.  Think the gimmick of bringing back Rob and Sandra is useless and who cares what they say while watching tribal votes?  Don’t see how this awful season can get better at this point unless there is some kind of a big twist involving Rob and Sandra to justify their presence.

Maybe a threesome with a visitor.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:47 AM, Horn80 said:

A 20 min SJW tribal is surely the way

I didn’t fully understand her vote for jack unless she still had reservations that dean would put her name down. But now the others know someone voted with dean, and they might suspect her.

The second Jack vote was from Noura. Kellee mentioned that she was going to try to get Noura to vote Jack too, as some sort of backup in case Dean went rogue, and it apparently worked. Wish we had seen that convo.

9 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The second Jack vote was from Noura. Kellee mentioned that she was going to try to get Noura to vote Jack too, as some sort of backup in case Dean went rogue, and it apparently worked. Wish we had seen that convo.

Pfft...there is absolutely no time to air strategic conversations.  They can barely fit in all the heavy handed social commentary and irrelevant island of the Idols time as it is.

At least one Island of the Idols visit eventually led to the strongest move of the season so far.  Kellee is playing a masterful game, and she has earned my vote for the time being.  Janet and Missy have also been strong. 

More good game play, less Rob and Sandra, and no more social commentary, please.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Pfft...there is absolutely no time to air strategic conversations.  They can barely fit in all the heavy handed social commentary and irrelevant island of the Idols time as it is.

At least one Island of the Idols visit eventually led to the strongest move of the season so far.  Kellee is playing a masterful game, and she has earned my vote for the time being.  Janet and Missy have also been strong. 

More good game play, less Rob and Sandra, and no more social commentary, please.

Truthfully, in a vacuum, I don't mind the social commentary.  It's topical, especially at the time of filming, and this is a TV show so it's expected that they will capitalize on it.

My annoyance was that we have already seen at least 2 of the 4 women explicitly state their desire for an all-women alliance.  Sure, the assumption of a female alliance MIGHT qualify as "sexist" or whatever in another case, but it absolutely was, and should have been, a legitimate concern for the male members of this specific tribe.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

Good strategy to put someone on the defensive by calling them out for their insensitive remarks.  “How dare you use the pronoun ‘he’ with me just because I’m 6’5” who a beard and my name is john.  Don’t assume my pronoun you communist Nazi. You don’t know me.”

I suppose it can be condescending to say women’s or girls alliances.  But the problem is that is women are the ones who use the term 10x more than men.  Didn’t noura celebrate the idea earlier in the episode, or was that last week?

Jamal was an idiot for using the idol on Noura. Not only did he show that he doesn’t know how to play the game, he’s a moron. When there is mass chaos and you don’t know what is happening, use the idol on yourself.

I didn't understand anything happening last night.  Why did Kellie give her idol to Dean?  Did she just prefer to take someone to merge who wasn't aligned with her over someone that was?  Jack for Dean seems like a negative result for her.  Am I missing something?

And is there any explanation for why Jamal gave his idol to Noura?  Turned out to not matter since she got no votes, but why waste it on her instead of wasting it on yourself?  Was it expiring that night and he had to use it and thought he'd earn some brownie points with Noura by giving it to her?  I assume he wasn't part of the plan, or he would have given it to Jack since they were buddies.  

19 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I didn't understand anything happening last night.  Why did Kellie give her idol to Dean?  Did she just prefer to take someone to merge who wasn't aligned with her over someone that was?  Jack for Dean seems like a negative result for her.  Am I missing something?

And is there any explanation for why Jamal gave his idol to Noura?  Turned out to not matter since she got no votes, but why waste it on her instead of wasting it on yourself?  Was it expiring that night and he had to use it and thought he'd earn some brownie points with Noura by giving it to her?  I assume he wasn't part of the plan, or he would have given it to Jack since they were buddies.  

Jamal's thinking is unsound.

Didn't Dean originally think the vote was for Noura and agreed with it, until Kellee told him that he was the target? If you're Jamal, then basic logic would be that Dean would follow through on voting for Noura. But this is where Jamal is a moron. He "knew" that everyone else voted for Dean. Therefore protecting Noura puts everyone else at risk. If all of the votes are for Dean and Noura, then they revote except for those 2. 

Rule #1 in Survivor, when you don't know what is going on, protect yourself to make it to next week.

EDIT: Maybe Jamal has some 4D chess thinking that I'm not seeing. I just didn't see how he benefited much by even saving Noura other than he's keeping someone around that is unpopular. However even that makes no sense as Dean is the most unpopular and still will be.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie