Survivor: Island of the Idols

pied

9 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I didn't understand anything happening last night.  Why did Kellie give her idol to Dean?  Did she just prefer to take someone to merge who wasn't aligned with her over someone that was?  Jack for Dean seems like a negative result for her.  Am I missing something?

And is there any explanation for why Jamal gave his idol to Noura?  Turned out to not matter since she got no votes, but why waste it on her instead of wasting it on yourself?  Was it expiring that night and he had to use it and thought he'd earn some brownie points with Noura by giving it to her?  I assume he wasn't part of the plan, or he would have given it to Jack since they were buddies.  

Kellee and Dean both randomly know Dean's ex-gf.  She's explained that an outside connection like that creates a unique bond, and when combined with his lack of allies on the other tribe, I think she preferred him (especially with the added "loyalty" that Dean should feel after being saved by her) to someone like Jack who isn't in her immediate circle and is closer with others on the tribe.  The logic can be debated, but I think that's what she was doing.

As for Noura, my only guess is that Jamal figured Dean had a lone vote on her (the target they relayed to him) and by saving her, he would cause a revote and potentially gain loyalty points from her.  Maybe he assumed the original tribe lines still stood and everyone would just vote for Karishma, the only other original Lairo, on the revote?  Definitely a strange play, especially when the best case scenario results in a 1 in 5 shot of you going home that night.

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

My annoyance was that we have already seen at least 2 of the 4 women explicitly state their desire for an all-women alliance.  Sure, the assumption of a female alliance MIGHT qualify as "sexist" or whatever in another case, but it absolutely was, and should have been, a legitimate concern for the male members of this specific tribe.

I do not think Kellee's annoyance was sincere.  She was in full blown Academy Award mode at tribal. 

Agree with much of the women's alliance talk.  Unless it was faux outrage, it was fact not conjecture.  

Didn't hear Noura's name mentioned by anyone so don't get the idol play there unless he's trying to establish his game for later.  

Also, really didn't get the calculated risk piece.  I get the advantage may have sucked, but isn't it better to have one and live to play another day then not?  Even if you don't use it, why not at least have it.  Rob made it sound like that was the smartest decision ever.  Didn't get it.

21 minutes ago, WBT said:

The show really wanted to have a metoo moment but then the girls backed away from it.

I hope Jamal's gambit of using the show to land a corporate diversity gig pays off.

It wasn’t like they didn’t have footage of Dan continually touching women.  Kellee told him in the first episode to stop touching her. Dan should have been sent home not given an “official” warning.  You don’t get 2 warnings on national TV to stop touching people.

and if Dan is just a general physical guy with nothing sexual behind it, where is he footage of him playing with Aaron’s hair or tickling Jamal’s toes?

but I agree that Survivor came across horribly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

So did Dan really bother anybody other than Kellee or not?  I’m confused. I’m thinking Liz and Missy are just strong confident women and Kellee isn’t. 

MIssy's comments about being bothered seemed genuine, and she was eerily silent during most of the shitshow.  Missy is also a lesbian, so I have no idea how (if?) that plays into the psyche.  Liz and the rest of them were just along for the ride.

Needs to be noted that while Kellee was bothered by the Dan stuff, she was not going to vote for him until Jamal/Janet suggested his name.  And it's not like she was making the shit up, the camera caught all of the stuff she was talking about and most of it was gross, even if "unintentional."

Just an overall gross episode.

"Look at Survivor...see how edgy and relevant we are?  LOOK AT US!!  LOOK AT US!!" 

Dan is a smarmy piece of shit.  He and his enablers sicken me.   
I've lost all respect for Missy and Elizabeth.
Fuck Dean for not telling Kellee she was being targeted after she saved his ass, but at least I can respect the play.  
Aaron is an oblivious idiot. 
Why the hell do they keep targeting Karishma?  Zero threat to win immunity, and even less of a threat to win the game. 
I didn't always like his preachy preachy, but Jamal is good people.  I wish him well. 
All aboard Team Janet, which likely means she will go home next.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lat22 said:

So did Dan really bother anybody other than Kellee or not?  I’m confused. I’m thinking Liz and Missy are just strong confident women and Kellee isn’t. 

Men always have a fear that something innocent will get misinterpreted by a female colleague or you will really run into that evil woman that makes up/exaggerates an incident. Missy and Liz are the latter. They are going to get destroyed on social media as hurting women who are actually harassed. They were ok with falsely accusing, from their perspective, Dan to get closer to $1m.

but Dan should have gone home. I wish Probst would have asked Dan if Kellee had asked him to stop and why he didn’t stop. I doubt the others are aware of that. My guess is that Dan would have walked off the set if presented with the facts.

However if someone wants to defend Dan, I’m open to hearing your thoughts.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On the game side of things, I agree that dean was crap for not even warning Kellee she was a target.

i was also confused as to what happened with Jamal in terms of finding the note to go to the island of idols. Did he not fully read the note, or was just accepting the note enough to lose a vote? “Receive a cryptic note and lose a vote.” Seems unfair, and what was offered him was lame.  Unless someone could professionally hand print a survivor note, of course everyone would know it’s fake.

and even if the “gift” was somehow real, Dean shouldn’t accept it. Say no, or toss it in a fire in front of everyone. However dean is an idiot.

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

i was also confused as to what happened with Jamal in terms of finding the note to go to the island of idols. Did he not fully read the note, or was just accepting the note enough to lose a vote? “Receive a cryptic note and lose a vote.” Seems unfair, and what was offered him was lame.  Unless someone could professionally hand print a survivor note, of course everyone would know it’s fake.

and even if the “gift” was somehow real, Dean shouldn’t accept it. Say no, or toss it in a fire in front of everyone. However dean is an idiot.

That's exactly what happened.  Once Jamal grabbed the note, he lost his vote...stupid lame shit that is a result of trying too hard to make Island of the Idols meaningful.  It would not have made any difference in the outcome of the vote, so at least there is that.  Whether the ridiculous legacy "advantage" given to Dean impacts anything remains to be seen.

4 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

That's exactly what happened.  Once Jamal grabbed the note, he lost his vote...stupid lame shit that is a result of trying too hard to make Island of the Idols meaningful.  It would not have made any difference in the outcome of the vote, so at least there is that.  Whether the ridiculous legacy "advantage" given to Dean impacts anything remains to be seen.

Island of Idols lesson, two weeks ago: TAKE RISKS!!!

Island of Idols lesson, last night: LOL you took a risk, what an idiot

They could have had the exact same "lesson" without making the punishment so severe.  Maybe he's forced to take on some task that risks a vote, while everyone else has been given a choice.  Something like that.  It's just dumb... every single player in the history of the show would have grabbed that paper, too.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Island of Idols lesson, two weeks ago: TAKE RISKS!!!

Island of Idols lesson, last night: LOL you took a risk, what an idiot

Note 1 from last night: tribal merge, time for a party.  

note 2: go to the island of the idols and get screwed for accepting it. Wtf.

and Boston Rob saying that he (Jamal) should know nothing is free on Survivor. What does that even mean? 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Note 1 from last night: tribal merge, time for a party.  

note 2: go to the island of the idols and get screwed for accepting it. Wtf.

and Boston Rob saying that he (Jamal) should know nothing is free on Survivor. What does that even mean? 

It means that the producers really fucked up with the twist this season, and that I am more certain with each episode that I am going to hate next season even more than this one. 

on papers I can understand the appeal of bringing back some survivor legends to help the players but it just doesn’t work.

For example, boston rob and Sandra can listen to the players and offer great advice on how to manage the game but that can’t work in a 2 min segment. Now perhaps the players are getting some solid advice from BR/Sandra but there isn’t time to show it without drastically alternating the regular segment schedule. 

Also, what worked for Rob and Sandra years ago likely would not work now.  There are just way more good players now who are willing to take risks and make big moves and hunt for idols.  Sandra's strategy might get her far, but someone would out her for her "behind the scenes manipulation" bs and blindside her.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

on papers I can understand the appeal of bringing back some survivor legends to help the players but it just doesn’t work.

For example, boston rob and Sandra can listen to the players and offer great advice on how to manage the game but that can’t work in a 2 min segment. Now perhaps the players are getting some solid advice from BR/Sandra but there isn’t time to show it without drastically alternating the regular segment schedule. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it would have been better if they had somehow been integrated into the tribes as non playing coaches.  They don't play in challenges, they don't vote, they don't even go to tribal, and they never enter the game and have a chance to win.  Just professional strategists and shit stirrers.  Of course, anything would have worked better than what they landed on.  What would have worked best is to not do it at all.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it would have been better if they had somehow been integrated into the tribes as non playing coaches.  They don't play in challenges, they don't vote, they don't even go to tribal, and they never enter the game and have a chance to win.  Just professional strategists and shit stirrers.  Of course, anything would have worked better than what they landed on.  What would have worked best is to not do it at all.  

I like this but the show has to be careful in blatant manipulation of the ultimate winner. I'm guessing they should follow game show laws where the producers or other paid employees can't decide the winner. Paying Rob and Sandra to sit in camp could be viewed as deciding the winner, which could lead to a lawsuit.

The randomness of who goes to Idol Island plays into this.

14 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

No, it would not have been better if Rob and Sandra had been integrated into the tribes.  You are correct in that the best option would have been to leave them out entirely. 

I keep hoping that the boat driver gets lost on the way to the island.

5 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I think they did that in a previous season and then they entered the game after awhile. I have no problem with them being coaches it just doesn't work in it's current form and other than seeing their stupid reactions when something happens at tribal. 

Another swing and a miss with the new "twist" that is now two seasons in a row they have been duds. 

Jimmy, are you thinking of Big Brother? Because they definitely had “coaches” (Dan and Brittany come to mind) enter the game. I don’t recall Survivor doing it, but then again, I’ve seen some of the rumors about next season’s cast, and I don’t remember many of them, even though they apparently won and I’ve never missed an episode.😀

13 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Jimmy, are you thinking of Big Brother? Because they definitely had “coaches” (Dan and Brittany come to mind) enter the game. I don’t recall Survivor doing it, but then again, I’ve seen some of the rumors about next season’s cast, and I don’t remember many of them, even though they apparently won and I’ve never missed an episode.😀

100% you are correct I was thinking Big Brother. 

14 hours ago, Mappable said:

Dan Spilo was likely  cast as a heal intentionally by Survivor producers who already knew him from the industry. 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2158373/

I have no doubt he was cast as someone "known" in the industry that actually happens more than we probably know. That said I HIGHLY DOUBT that he agreed to be the creepy unwanted touches guy that would lump him in with the #metoo crowd in the industry. That isn't something anybody would sign up for.