Survivor: Island of the Idols

pied

29 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Ain't  that the truth. 

Is there anyone that is going to be left deserving of winning this season? So awful to watch. 

That's my concern as well.  It's very Skim Pickens already.  That said, I found both of last night's eliminations to be rather satisfying, and kudos to worthless Karishma for reading the situation well enough to not play her idol and for voting to send home the bigger threat.  She should be safe at this point, as people seem to have caught on that they can use her vote and that she'd be great to take to Final Tribal. 

I think Elaine and Janet have the best resumes at this point.  Tommy, Elizabeth, and Dean should be the next targets if they want to continue eliminating challenge beasts, but who knows what this cast of Mehs will do?

Last night with the dual elimination was a fairly historic takedown of one side that thought they were in control. I thought Elizabeth was going to break down in tears at the end.

Here are where I think we stand

• Low chance of winning*: Dan, Karishma, Noura. Dean is currently here but he could move up. But unlikely
  • Should win: Janet, elaine, tommy or Lauren. Elizabeth is in this group but she has to make a quick move or she's going home.

The winner group needs to be cautious about keeping 3-4 losers around for too long. I know they want to vote off the other strong players but the Losers will band together if not careful.

* assuming the game plays out like normal

13 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I found it funny when Missy got voted out and asked Tommy why.

Tommy:  You came after me

Missy:  I wasn't coming after you!

Tommy's missed opportunity:  You just wrote my fucking name down after telling me we were all voting for Kirishma.  

That confused me for a second. Writing someone's name down is sort the definition of going after them.

1 hour ago, George said:

I was glad we got beat over the head with some more social commentary. This week’s topic: Bullying!

excited about what’s in store for us next week. 

Don't forget Missy's mention of having two people of color wearing immunity necklaces.  We can't have a tribal without some relevance to real life issues.

15 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Don't forget Missy's mention of having two people of color wearing immunity necklaces.  We can't have a tribal without some relevance to real life issues.

Everyone is attempting to build their bona fides about how they’re socially conscious about issues. In terms of the game, missy was only 3 days removed from being accused of being insensitive to sexual harassment. She had to change the narrative about herself. 

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Everyone is attempting to build their bona fides about how they’re socially conscious about issues. In terms of the game, missy was only 3 days removed from being accused of being insensitive to sexual harassment. She had to change the narrative about herself. 

Too little, too late.  She gone.

1 hour ago, Pokoloco said:

Probst's response was perfect.  It would have been patronizing and condescending.  Like most of us, he probably doesn't think about race 24/7.

Why did they let Missy continue to run her yap after getting voted out?

Pretty interesting moment as Missy stopped Tribal to point out that two African-Americans had won immunity last week and how important that was in terms of representation. You then gave a very candid response that you weren’t sure if that had even occurred to you and that you probably would have been reluctant to bring it up out of fear that it might imply that it was something that was so unexpected. You mentioned that “Even I’m learning now.” How was your perspective impacted by that exchange?
Well, first and most important — I loved that Missy said it because I could tell it meant so much to her. It was very powerful to see the pride she had in calling attention to it. She reminded me to always ask more questions and to put myself in the shoes of every player as often as possible.

My response to her was genuine. I honestly didn’t consider it. Missy is athletic, Aaron is athletic.  Had they not both been voted out, I imagine they would have won more challenges, which is part of the reason they were voted out. There is nowhere to hide in this game and I’m always learning.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Last night with the dual elimination was a fairly historic takedown of one side that thought they were in control. I thought Elizabeth was going to break down in tears at the end.

Here are where I think we stand

• Low chance of winning*: Dan, Karishma, Noura. Dean is currently here but he could move up. But unlikely
  • Should win: Janet, elaine, tommy or Lauren. Elizabeth is in this group but she has to make a quick move or she's going home.

The winner group needs to be cautious about keeping 3-4 losers around for too long. I know they want to vote off the other strong players but the Losers will band together if not careful.

* assuming the game plays out like normal

I think it's pretty obvious based on the edit that Elaine's winning this season.  She appeared to be just as involved in the shit last week as Missy and Elizabeth.  Hell, she told Dan that they were voting him out.  But then the editors downplayed it.

That said, I'm done with the season.  There's no one save Janet I have any desire to see another second of.

3 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Pretty interesting moment as Missy stopped Tribal to point out that two African-Americans had won immunity last week and how important that was in terms of representation. You then gave a very candid response that you weren’t sure if that had even occurred to you and that you probably would have been reluctant to bring it up out of fear that it might imply that it was something that was so unexpected. You mentioned that “Even I’m learning now.” How was your perspective impacted by that exchange?
Well, first and most important — I loved that Missy said it because I could tell it meant so much to her. It was very powerful to see the pride she had in calling attention to it. She reminded me to always ask more questions and to put myself in the shoes of every player as often as possible.

My response to her was genuine. I honestly didn’t consider it. Missy is athletic, Aaron is athletic.  Had they not both been voted out, I imagine they would have won more challenges, which is part of the reason they were voted out. There is nowhere to hide in this game and I’m always learning.

Probst is only making this unbearable shit worse.  Even my socially conscious wife is all, "F this crap."

I think it's pretty obvious based on the edit that Elaine's winning this season.  She appeared to be just as involved in the shit last week as Missy and Elizabeth.  Hell, she told Dan that they were voting him out.  But then the editors downplayed it.

I don’t think that’s correct. She did warn Dan, but I don’t think she was involved in the shitty part.

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Probst is only making this unbearable shit worse.  Even my socially conscious wife is all, "F this crap."

I like Probst and he obviously gets paid really well but I have a hard time believing some of the things he says in the episode recaps. It's all PR BS to cover their asses. 

• Like 1

Plus, we’ve all learned over the years these tribals can take hours and hours to complete. His response may have come in real time, and probably did, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility he called a time out and went and discussed it with Burnett & Co., then returned with the nice comeback. Again, I find my own supposition unlikely, but this is TV, folks.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, lemonlime said:

That said, I'm done with the season.  There's no one save Janet I have any desire to see another second of.

i think it would be pretty refreshing if elaine won.  she might be the most likable person left.  she's not a jock, not outdoorsy, not particularly strategic, you wouldn't think she had a chance, but she's convivial, friendly, unintimidating, interested and non-judgemental towards everyone.  

on a side note, karishma came out of nowhere last week to show some skills.  might be worth taking note.  

i normally cringe at who the tribe decides to vote out, thinking they almost always make the wrong choice, but these last 5 votes have all been epic - solid players that could easily have won the game, all playing super hard and strategic, some with idols in their pockets even.  

Kind of liked the monkey wrench of the random two tribes/tribal council.  That clearly can put stress on alliances and games.  First smart idol play of the season I think.  Didn't get to see how Kelly's play w/Dean would work out, but then again she went home with one in her pocket(I think).

On 11/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, idigTexas said:

That struck me as the got to find something to be offended about mentality.  Jeff like most people watching never thought of that because it doesn’t matter.   Give me a break.

I think I'm becoming a Karishma fan.  I still don't understand why she is getting so many votes.  I guess the other players would rather have her gone than figure out how to work with her or around her unpredictability.  She's the perfect person to take to Final Tribal...or was.  She's actually starting to build a resume, though I'm not sure that this jury would ever vote for her.  Most of them seem the type to award likeability over game play. 

I was not impressed at all with Lauren's panic idol play, though I guess better to play it when you don't need to than to go home with it in your pocket.  Karma for snooping through Karishma's bag, and more kudos to Karishma for keeping the idol in a place where no one would ever look, probably not even her husband.   

I'm hoping Dean makes it to the final 6 and makes a move that depends on his bogus legacy advantage being real.

6 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Not even her husband. Good one.

Fake legacy advantage is gone. Dean played it last night.

I approve Lauren’s idol play. She knew everybody voted for K. Once she played her idol, there was no telling where the two random votes were going.

No, remember he created his own to look like the one Jamal gave him, which is what he gave to Jeff.  So he still has the original fake one from Jamal, but thinks it's real and it could be played when 6 people are remaining.  

No, remember he created his own to look like the one Jamal gave him, which is what he gave to Jeff.  So he still has the original fake one from Jamal, but thinks it's real and it could be played when 6 people are remaining.  

When the hell did that happen? I’d say I need to pay closer attention, but I won’t.

It was in last night’s episode. I’m not sure why they had a brush and ink/paint at camp, though.

Yeah I was wondering about that as well. He did it while everyone was napping. Still don't understand his thought process on it though. What is expecting to happen?

17 hours ago, Updawg said:
17 hours ago, LonghornSean said:
It was in last night’s episode. I’m not sure why they had a brush and ink/paint at camp, though.

Yeah I was wondering about that as well. He did it while everyone was napping. Still don't understand his thought process on it though. What is expecting to happen?

I think it was paint, not ink, and was part of the supplies they get when they merge to make a new team sign.  They showed him putting it back with the other colors after he completed his forgery.  That said, I don't recall where he got the parchment for the fake.

Edited by idigTexas

On 11/28/2019 at 12:53 PM, Updawg said:
On 11/28/2019 at 12:36 PM, LonghornSean said:

I think this is his logic:  The legacy idol is written to only be played at 9 or 6 people remaining. Dean didn’t feel he was in danger last night but he thinks that he’s a target because of the legacy idol. He wanted everyone to see him play the “fake”legacy idol.  No one could get a good look at what he played so they all assume he played the legacy idol and therefore he isn’t sitting on some future advantage.

it makes sense what he did if you think the “real” legacy idol is real. Which he does. This way he secretly saved his legacy idol to be played in a couple of weeks.

as for karishma, solid play with the idol. It could be her only move of the entire game, which she could last until the end. 

Dan - I’m cheering for his wife to be his family visitor and she wins a day at the camp. “Mrs. Dan - did you know your husband got an official warning for touching young women?”

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think this is his logic:  The legacy idol is written to only be played at 9 or 6 people remaining. Dean didn’t feel he was in danger last night but he thinks that he’s a target because of the legacy idol. He wanted everyone to see him play the “fake”legacy idol.  No one could get a good look at what he played so they all assume he played the legacy idol and therefore he isn’t sitting on some future advantage.

it makes sense what he did if you think the “real” legacy idol is real. Which he does. This way he secretly saved his legacy idol to be played in a couple of weeks.

as for karishma, solid play with the idol. It could be her only move of the entire game, which she could last until the end. 

Dan - I’m cheering for his wife to be his family visitor and she wins a day at the camp. “Mrs. Dan - did you know your husband got an official warning for touching young women?”

Lol.  I didn't think about that.  Who else would it be?  I mean, they have to have the specific family member prepped for this possibility well before taping the show to ensure things like passports are in order.  You think the producers would be all, "Sorry babe.  You can't go.  There were some, uh..., things that happened".

I don’t understand why dan has stayed in the game unless he (& the producers) were under the impression the touching wouldn’t be a big deal or they would eventually edit it out.

Also can he show up to the finale even though he currently has a shot at making they final 3? If I were Dan I wouldn’t show up to be accused of harassment on live TV. And the producers have to be fearful of what is said on live tv from Dan or anyone. 

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t understand why dan has stayed in the game unless he (& the producers) were under the impression the touching wouldn’t be a big deal or they would eventually edit it out.

Also can he show up to the finale even though he currently has a shot at making they final 3? If I were Dan I wouldn’t show up to be accused of harassment on live TV. And the producers have to be fearful of what is said on live tv from Dan or anyone. 

All great points. His edit has been pretty much gone since that episode. 

The only reason he shows up at the reunion is to state the extremely long and prepared PC statement and apology. 

I think he only shows up if he's in the final 3. Of all of the people involved, he's the only person that hasn't responded publicly since the episode aired. One reason could be that he made the final 3 and CBS may frown upon those players getting into public discussions that could accidentally give away the results. But then again the other players, who have responded, know who is in the final 3.

However I think its more likely that Dan is taking the path of staying quiet. And showing up to the finale can just add more fuel to the fire especially if any statement or apology comes off worse. Look at Prince Andrew who had a controlled TV interview about his Epstein connection and he lost his lifetime job over it. A few wrong words can destroy your career.  He's better off leaving it alone but as a viewer, I'm cool with watching a train wreck.

13 hours ago, kevwun said:

Soldiers returning from a year in combat hold it together better than idiots on an island filming a tv show for 30 days.

"But the physical and mental challenge it is to be around people they can't trust like family..........."

I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy as hell to see my wife, kids, brother/sister, or parents but for fuck sakes get a grip. 

Tribal was funny but the rest, meh. 

Noura may be the craziest survivor of all time. 

So stupid to vote off Karishma.  They even showed Dan saying that they need to get rid of Karishma because everyone will want to take her to the final tribal.  So he'd rather compete against people who could actually win an immunity challenge or the whole thing?  Did he see Karishma as his competition for the "most undeserving" spot?  I think that safely belongs to Noura at his point.  This is a dumb season full of dumb twists and dumber people. 

• Like 2