Survivor: Island of the Idols

pied

I don't think we fully know what Noura would have done if Dean had just sat there and said nothing. He started off the fireworks by telling Tommy that Noura had flipped. However I put nothing past Noura as she couldn't add or think.

Dan is really living in a fantasy land that he thinks he can win against the average-to-good players. His only chance was sitting next to Noura and Karishma. and even then, it's possible Noura would win on a better resume.

Yeah I'm not sure what Dean was hoping to accomplish, other than maybe by spilling the beans to Tommy he thinks Tommy will work with him going forward?  Dean has been talking a lot about the Goats and wanting to get rid of them, but he hasn't really done anything and hasn't been particularly strong in challenges either.

2 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah I'm not sure what Dean was hoping to accomplish, other than maybe by spilling the beans to Tommy he thinks Tommy will work with him going forward?  Dean has been talking a lot about the Goats and wanting to get rid of them, but he hasn't really done anything and hasn't been particularly strong in challenges either.

I can only guess that Dean was completely spooked by Noura and how she wanted to overplay their blindside of Tommy. Remember he told her to her face that he was most worried that she would screw it up.

I wouldn't want to be apart of a blindside that was fully dependent on Noura. Dean isn't in a better position by ratting out Noura but he could have been in a worse position if Noura had flipped back leaving him alone.

On a side note, its amusing how this season has people being told to their face how lazy they are (Karishma) or how crazy they are (Noura) or even creepy (Dan)

Damn Daniel.

his silence after the last incident makes more sense now. It also solves the problem that cbs wouldn’t want him at the finale.

we don’t know exactly what happened but wtf. The guy must have some serious impulse control issues to continue to misbehave again and again while on a tv show for a month.

This has been in the can long before any episodes aired, unless this season is unlike any other. (I haven’t read the links, so you may be talking about something else, but a viewer complaint wouldn’t affect anything in real time on the island, as it occurred months before.)

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

This has been in the can long before any episodes aired, unless this season is unlike any other. (I haven’t read the links, so you may be talking about something else, but a viewer complaint wouldn’t affect anything in real time on the island, as it occurred months before.)

That's right.  I forgot about the timing.

Ok.  To save face(mine), perhaps the producers didn't vet the guy very well and found something they missed after he f'd up on the island.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

37 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's right.  I forgot about the timing.

Ok.  To save face(mine), perhaps the producers didn't vet the guy very well and found something they missed after he f'd up on the island.

You’re a good poster and probably an even better educator (assuming you’re still in that business), fuggedaboutit!

• Like 2

I find it weak that they’re taping the finale/reunion show. I can only guess that the producers and CBS are concerned that a player will just start talking about the Dan subject or something else.

i know they’re claiming the reason is partially about security of the players but that rings hollow. If they’re worried that an audience member attacks or even just says something to insult a player on the stage, that can happen just as easily while the show is taped earlier.

tape delaying a show only protects CBS. 

5 minutes ago, speed817 said:

PEOPLE has spoken to multiple people involved with the show’s production, who confirmed that the incident in question — which involved a member of the show’s production team — happened after an immunity challenge as Spilo and other contestants were getting into a boat to transport them back to the camp.

At one point, Spilo allegedly touched the female crew member’s leg. According to multiple sources, he insisted that the contact was inadvertent and accidental as he lost his balance while trying to get into the boat. At least one of the remaining contestants witnessed the incident

Perhaps it was incidental but when you’ve been warned about your behavior twice, you need to go out of your way to not touch someone even if that means you fall losing your balance. However from the tribal council, Dan never thought he did something wrong.

With the latest development, I can’t imagine the tightrope CBS/Burnett has been walking since the taping. They have footage of the guy being a creep, which proves he’s a weirdo who deserves being expelled... yet that very video proves they allowed him to remain in the game several weeks before he pulled the final stunt that got him kicked out.

So, CBS can refute any Dan challenge to the inappropriate behavior, yet the proof’s very existence demonstrates they were poor stewards of the cast members well being. 

I predict Kellee’s gonna sue or get a big payoff.

12 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Probst comments- While I assumed he wasn't going to say exactly what happened I thought they would give a little bit more than basically nothing. It does explain why he's basically been invisible in the game since the tribal where they talked about his issues. I wonder if  today they would have allowed Richard Hatch to walk around naked 24/7 like he did in Season 1? My guess is no. Not at all comparing that to what Dan did but just an observation. 

Reunion being pre-taped- They want to control what is said before it airs. Makes sense all things considered but it has been forever since they haven't had a Live reunion show. 

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I wonder if  today they would have allowed Richard Hatch to walk around naked 24/7 like he did in Season 1? My guess is no. Not at all comparing that to what Dan did but just an observation. 

I thought about Hatch too.  He was naked all the time in the original season but when he came back for the first All Stars didn't someone say he rubbed up against them while naked?  I don't remember the details or how they handled it but that would play out differently today.

50 minutes ago, WBT said:

I thought about Hatch too.  He was naked all the time in the original season but when he came back for the first All Stars didn't someone say he rubbed up against them while naked?  I don't remember the details or how they handled it but that would play out differently today.

Yeah, he rubbed up on Sue.  She freaked out and then was voted out in short order. 

There are a lot of rumors that Hatch was cut last minute from the All Winners season coming up.  Wouldn't shock me if it was related to all this Dan shit and CBS not wanting to drag up the past.

4 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, he rubbed up on Sue.  She freaked out and then was voted out in short order. 

There are a lot of rumors that Hatch was cut last minute from the All Winners season coming up.  Wouldn't shock me if it was related to all this Dan shit and CBS not wanting to drag up the past.

That wouldn't surprise me at all either. 

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Today I doubt the producers would allow a Hatch character running around naked like that. I'm sure that the players see each other naked but walking around and performing in challenges is different.  

Agreed and he did because he knew it bothered people, but back then people laughed at the naked gay guy. That wouldn't fly today. 

19 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I hope they quit dragging up all this sjw shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Man, I was bummed to see Elaine get voted out.  She seems like a really wonderful lady. Hope she wins the Fan Favorite award and pockets some decent cash.

Her interviews from yesterday have been hysterical.  Hung over and hilarious.  She wouldn't deny that she's been invited back.

How I see it playing out.

Next: Janet is going to play loose because she has an idol that has to be played.  But she doesn't know that Dean knows Janet has an idol, and Dean has the nullifier.  Janet goes home.

Next +1:  Noura is a lock for the F3.  And the next two will most likely be Tommy and Dean unless Lauren can win an immunity/pass to the finals.

Wildcard: Losing Dan from the tribe and creating one less jury member could potentially change the game structure. The jury will now be 10 creating a higher potential for a tie. I understand that a tie is an option with 11 jurors given 3 finalists but usually one finalist is worthless and gets zero votes.  Solutions to resolve: Switch to a final 2 and back to 11 jurors, or have a competition to allow one of the F3 to eliminate a juror taking the jury down to 9.

Wildcard 2: Lauren realizes she's most likely on the outs and attempts to pull together Janet and Noura to know out Tommy. I'm not sure Lauren can make this happen with Noura, and Lauren should have already made this move before now.

Not that I believe he deserves it, but I see Tommy winning. I don't think he did much to win but it's fitting that the worst season of Survivor has one of the worst winners.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How I see it playing out.

Next: Janet is going to play loose because she has an idol that has to be played.  But she doesn't know that Dean knows Janet has an idol, and Dean has the nullifier.  Janet goes home.

Next +1:  Noura is a lock for the F3.  And the next two will most likely be Tommy and Dean unless Lauren can win an immunity/pass to the finals.

Wildcard: Losing Dan from the tribe and creating one less jury member could potentially change the game structure. The jury will now be 10 creating a higher potential for a tie. I understand that a tie is an option with 11 jurors given 3 finalists but usually one finalist is worthless and gets zero votes.  Solutions to resolve: Switch to a final 2 and back to 11 jurors, or have a competition to allow one of the F3 to eliminate a juror taking the jury down to 9.

Wildcard 2: Lauren realizes she's most likely on the outs and attempts to pull together Janet and Noura to know out Tommy. I'm not sure Lauren can make this happen with Noura, and Lauren should have already made this move before now.

Not that I believe he deserves it, but I see Tommy winning. I don't think he did much to win but it's fitting that the worst season of Survivor has one of the worst winners.

I don't think they'll do this.  I'm guessing the reason they've gone to 3 is it makes it harder for someone to have a runaway victory where everybody knows who is going to win.  If we only had two finalists now, the only suspense would be who is going to be the winner sitting next to Noura.   Now it will be Noura and two worthy (ish) people, so there's more suspense.  Everyone wants to drag a lay up to the final.  Dragging two of them there is a lot harder.  

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

For whatever reason, Tommy is someone that everyone seems to run to with inside info.  I think I've lost count the number of times that different people have pulled him aside and revealed some secret.  The edit hasn't done a great job in showing why that is, but he seems to be playing one hell of a social game FWIW.

Maybe this season can be saved tonight with the finale but has come across as sanctimonious to me and think the sorry Dan episode may blow up in CBS’s face because they had to know about his tendencies early on but allowed it to continue.  The fact the finale show is pre-taped suggests CBS knows they screwed up big time.  Also, the Rob and Sandra angle was just stupid and Elaine was the only contestant that I liked this season.

Edited by Horn80

Some of the contestants are just as much to blame as CBS.  If a few of the women hadn't of changed their stories and hung Janet out to dry because it was convenient to their game play, he would have been gone much sooner.

Edited by kevwun

17 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Some of the contestants are just as much to blame as CBS.  If a few of the women hadn't of changed their stories and hung Janet out to dry because it was convenient to their game play, he would have been gone much sooner.

absolutely.  I also believe there is a decent chance that the first 2 chapters of Dan's behavior wouldn't have made the TV show if it wasn't for eventual dismissal.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

absolutely.  I also believe there is a decent chance that the first 2 chapters of Dan's behavior wouldn't have made the TV show if it wasn't for eventual dismissal.

100% all of this. I would hope the producers were like "WTF, why are they lying about him being a creep, now what the fuck are we going to do?"

I assume they were hoping the players were going to handle it themselves and vote him out without them having to step in. Whatever the decision or discussion they had it clearly blew up in their face. 

Kinda wanted Dean to win at the end, but not surprising Tommy won from the last three standing. 

I think the last few weeks were interesting enough to somewhat redeem the season, including it being a crapshoot who won, but it’s still in the lower third of all seasons (there have been plenty of bad seasons and undeserving winners...Vecepia, anyone?). The Rob/Sandra angle was a bust, and the failure to handle The Dan Situation properly was shit. The social discussion isn’t as off putting to me as it may be to some, but it did get tiresome, and apparently more to come on the finale.

Edited by Vito Andolini
I spelled Vecepia correctly the first time

Watched late and ff through a lot to get to the end.  Need to go back and see what Dean said late to piss the jury off.  Finding the idol, coupled with immunity and the nulifier seems like it should have been enough to make his case and it seemed like he was almost there.  Seemed like he was relying too much on "I just kind of sailed through" instead of emphasizing how he had to scramble his ass off most the game.  Much more compelling argument.  

Noura is baffling.

I think Dean just started moving up the rankings too late. By the time he started to dominate more and make bigger moves, over half of the jury had been seated. They had already made up their minds about him.

Dean screwed up by ending up in the final 7 with Janet, Elaine, Tommy and Lauren. He wasn't going to beat any of them. I suppose at the final 7 he still had a chance if he could have taken Dan and Noura to the end.

I'm glad that Noura was called out for allowing Tommy to walk into the finals. 

Meh finale for a very meh season, with another completely worthless twist.  How telling is it that the person who won never went to Island of the Idols until they were all forced to live there.  Lessons from Rob and Sandra were so helpful that everyone who got one lost.   

Of the finalists, I thought Dean made the best argument to win, in spite of his blunder of saying that he hadn't made any finals pacts when he actually had made several.  I don't think he intentionally lied, I think he simply forgot under the pressure of being grilled.  Maybe that undermined his entire résumé, but I did not feel that it did.  I did think that both Dean and Tommy did well in final tribal, which is rare. 

I feel bad for Kellee.  Dan's behavior directly led to her being voted off. 

I'm not sure I have any interest in seeing more Sandra and Boston Rob, so I may skip next season.

• Like 1