Buying a suit

wild_turkey

I need a new suit and just looking for suggestions on brands and where to buy it. My last suit was a Hickey Freeman that I got from Neiman Marcus Last Call for around $400, then paid to have it tailored. This was about 5 years ago because I don't wear suits too often, just occasional business dinners, weddings, etc. I have a pretty standard build and off the rack stuff (sports jackets, etc) usually fit me well without much in the way of alterations, although I would expect to get tailoring with any suit purchase.

I'm in Fort Worth fwiw. We have Dillard's and Nordstrom nearby, but I can go pretty much anywhere in DFW.

Thanks.

Brooks Brothers has discontinued their Fitzgerald cut and marked the remaining inventory down to $499 until sold out. All very conservative colors and patterns, but they are great staple suits that used to run $1,000.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzgerald-Fit-Two-Button-1818-Suit/212K,default,pd.html?dwvar_212K_Color=BLCK&contentpos=1&cgid=Mens_sale_category

Figure about what looks best on you!!  Basically how is the back cut, Vented? Unvented?  Traditional 2 button or 3 button?  Just basic suit shit. For me unvented two button usually looks better for example.  Go to someplace where the folks actually know what they are doing and let them fit you.  Look at differenct cuts.  

Now I should say that without good looking shit, tie, shoes and belt a suit will never look as good as it could.

You're gonna get a lot of suggestions on what to look for in a properly constructed suit in terms of canvassing and wool type, etc.  Then you're gonna need to remember you'll be wearing the suit here in Texas, which is just a few blocks from the sun.  so it's okay to go half-canvas, with a better travel ready wool, with a hand-cut shoulder, and for pants, yeah---lining to the knees but even then keep it cool and ball-friendly.  There are better "cuts" to pimp around to the meeting or event, but you'll feel better rolling around a little cooler---temp. wise. 

15 hours ago, horn4life said:

Figure about what looks best on you!!  Basically how is the back cut, Vented? Unvented?  Traditional 2 button or 3 button?  Just basic suit shit. For me unvented two button usually looks better for example.  Go to someplace where the folks actually know what they are doing and let them fit you.  Look at differenct cuts.  

Now I should say that without good looking shit, tie, shoes and belt a suit will never look as good as it could.

Don't forget the shirt. No additional article of clothing makes a suit look like crap more than a shiny shirt.

15 minutes ago, Gator Dave said:

I have the same question, except with a short/stocky build, off the rack stuff usually doesn't fit me well. I need something more custom. Any specific places for me to go in Frisco/Plano area that can tailor a decent suit without breaking the bank?

Mellons Short and Fat ??  Right next to Mellons Tall and Fat.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have some blazers/sport coats but am underprovisioned on suits.  Wife wanted to go to the outlets this afternoon because we have a wedding coming up, Brooks Brothers had a 2 for $600 thing so I got a charcoal and a navy suit.  Not their top end or anything (explorer, I think mostly sold at their factory stores) but that should do me for a bit on "I need a standard suit" situations.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2019 at 8:19 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Not me. I’m kind of short and not in shape.

Yeah, but you married at least one stripper so you’ve got that going for you. 

As to the OP; i once had a buddy went to Vietnam with an empty suitcase and came back with a bunch of suits.  Sounded like a good deal if you are in the market for 4-5+. 

8 hours ago, huge said:

I referred @mycox to J Hilburn.  I like their stuff.  PM me if you are interested.

for those prices you could fly to bangkok, buy 3 suits, have a week long cobra whiskey fueled ladyboy bender, and still come out ahead after a full course of PrEP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, elfenix said:

for those prices you could fly to bangkok, buy 3 suits, have a week long cobra whiskey fueled ladyboy bender, and still come out ahead after a full course of PrEP

Last one I bought was $500 (on sale)

What am I missing?

On 10/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I got a decent blazer from suit supply and I thought about getting a suit.  Then I started getting their emails and I realized that they were not the place for me when they were advertising suits but with shorts instead of pants. 

Got a suit from SuitSupply yesterday. Yes they lean to the more modern side, but not in a hipster-douche sort of way (although they can certainly accommodate that look). They have plenty of classically styled suits with modern fits. As a short guy who struggles with off the rack stuff, I was happy with the way theirs fit me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

To be fair, the thread was headed towards concrete advice on proper suit construction and wool varietals, but we took a hard left at the NBA Draft and never looked back.  

45 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I recall from the watch fanatic thread that @G650 was supposed to start a thread and teach us to dress properly...

Good luck with that!  Savile Row for suits and Vacheron Constantin for your timepiece and I would assume that he gets his shoes made at John Lobb.

36 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Good luck with that!  Savile Row for suits and Vacheron Constantin for your timepiece and I would assume that he gets his shoes made at John Lobb.

John Lobb Paris, of course.

I actually buy mostly Crockett & Jones, but I do have a couple pairs of JLP. My top reccy is Foster & Sons bespoke.