Dead student not found for 8 weeks

smwhorn

that's a horrible story. how the fuck could his parents not freak the hell out and be there after at most a few  days of not hearing from the kid?

Wut? Who talks to their parents every few days in college? My mom pointed out once that they didn’t hear from me for 7 months at one point. Granted that was pre cell phone and texting but I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t have made a difference.
  • Like 2

That kind of happened to a friend of mine at UT. The girl had some disease where she was in a lot of pain. She had a roommate who left for Houston for a long weekend. She turned down the air conditioning and called a repair guy to come to her apartment. Then, she shot herself in the head. The repair guy didn't show so her roommate ended up finding her 3.5 days later. Supposedly, it smelled pretty bad and was gruesome.

49 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Wut? Who talks to their parents every few days in college? My mom pointed out once that they didn’t hear from me for 7 months at one point. Granted that was pre cell phone and texting but I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t have made a difference.

Weird.  I hear from your mom at least twice a day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Me and most other normal people not estranged from their family. I'd talk to my mom at least once every week or 2 weeks. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Me and most other normal people not estranged from their family. I'd talk to my mom at least once every week or 2 weeks. 

Nope. I have a perfectly good relationship with my parents, but could easily go weeks without speaking to either one of them while in college and long after. Now they are old so I keep closer tabs on them. 

Bernard

7 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Talked to my parents almost every day while in college/school. If 2 days went by without calling, my mom would passive aggressively say, “ohhh, it’s so nice of you to call and think of us”. Must be an immigrant family thing. They just care more about their kids than whiteys

Heh heh heh.  Having watched our son go thru college, and participating in a parents FB page for the Corps of cadets at VT. I can say yeah... no, a huge swing and a miss.  Helicopter moms no no racial or ethnic designations.

It doesn't really matter how often you talked to your parents.  Your parents aren't the only ones capable of checking on you, they are just the most likely.  This guy was dead for 8 weeks, so he talked to no one in that time.  Any of you guys that went a couple months between calls to mom in college not talk to a single other person during that time as well?  If so, you probably should be on some sort of list.

What does a human body look like after 8 weeks of solid state decomposition? I ask because a) the article states that the body wasn't identifiable and they had to bring in dental records people so that makes me think that the skin drooped off or shriveled up or it was all black like pork rinds and b) I'm scared to google images of a dead body at 8 weeks on my work computer.

52 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Talked to my parents almost every day while in college/school. If 2 days went by without calling, my mom would passive aggressively say, “ohhh, it’s so nice of you to call and think of us”. Must be an immigrant family thing. They just care more about their kids than whiteys

I think it may have something to do with the culture going back to European stoicism (the modern usage of the term, as opposed to the philosophy). My wife is of Mexican heritage, while I am of European heritage with everything from English, Scotch-Irish, Danish, French, German, Dutch, etc. in my blood. She talks to her mother and sisters pretty much every day, while I rarely talk to my family. But when we do talk it's as if we never missed a beat. There is a lot more subtlety in our conversations, though. The words we do say to each other have more meaning through various implications developed through centuries of polite society. It's an interesting dichotomy seeing the differences in how we communicate and leads to a lot of explaining of things on my part.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

20 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It doesn't really matter how often you talked to your parents.  Your parents aren't the only ones capable of checking on you, they are just the most likely.  This guy was dead for 8 weeks, so he talked to no one in that time.  Any of you guys that went a couple months between calls to mom in college not talk to a single other person during that time as well?  If so, you probably should be on some sort of list.

Did they not have RA checks? I mean, the smell alone.  But usually your RA gets curious if they haven't seen you in days, let alone weeks. 

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Did they not have RA checks? I mean, the smell alone.  But usually your RA gets curious if they haven't seen you in days, let alone weeks. 

Come on. My RA in Jester and I did not know each other's names much less speak to each other. Maybe once or twice he stopped by when the door was open but he didn't seek out speaking to anyone.  And everyone was ok with that.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

In my family, eight weeks of no contact is nothing. After moving out in college, my mom didn't call me for at least five years and then it was only to ask for money. That's not to say we didn't talk, but it was always me reaching out. It's just the way she is with everyone in the family.