East Dallas Bringing the Wood - Best Of

Landomatic

Best Pizza - Zalat

Best Taco - El Come

Best Sandwich (and one of the coolest food experiences in town) - Jimmy’s

Haven’t tried either of these, but recently named...

Best New Restaurant - Kaho

Other Best New Restaurant - Petra & The Beast

Alice also gets honorable mention...not sure about “best” but I love that place.

What else is great over there?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 6:00 PM, Landomatic said:

Best Pizza - Zalat

Best Taco - El Come

Best Sandwich (and one of the coolest food experiences in town) - Jimmy’s

Haven’t tried either of these, but recently named...

Best New Restaurant - Kaho

Other Best New Restaurant - Petra & The Beast

Alice also gets honorable mention...not sure about “best” but I love that place.

What else is great over there?

Best Burger - I'm a fan of Goodfriend.  I wouldn't call it the best but it's a really good burger and I like the bar and beer taps.  

Best Tex-Mex - EBar (fight me)

• 3 months later...

Need a recommendation on a place to eat on Saturday night. Having dinner with another couple who live over across from the Arboretum. We are in Bluffview. Trying to find something between the two of us, possibly down Greenville/Lower Greenville, nearer to them or in Deep Ellum. (We are completely bored with places over by us.) We've been to all the places that have been around awhile. Wondering if there are any new, can't-miss type places. I think they're planning to leave their house at 6:30 once the sitter shows up and gets her marching orders. I would *love* to go to Desert Racer but I understand it will be a shit-show starting around 6-ish.

Need a recommendation on a place to eat on Saturday night. Having dinner with another couple who live over across from the Arboretum. We are in Bluffview. Trying to find something between the two of us, possibly down Greenville/Lower Greenville, nearer to them or in Deep Ellum. (We are completely bored with places over by us.) We've been to all the places that have been around awhile. Wondering if there are any new, can't-miss type places. I think they're planning to leave their house at 6:30 once the sitter shows up and gets her marching orders. I would *love* to go to Desert Racer but I understand it will be a shit-show starting around 6-ish.

Rapscallion?

We've done Rapscallion a few times. I've got a call in to Urbano Cafe to see about getting reso for four at 7 on Sat night. We haven't been there in years.

A couple other thoughts. Not sure any are “can’t miss” but they are all good spots in the area.

Knife ( by reputation - I still haven’t been)
Hillside Tavern (by the same guys as Rapscallion and Boulevardier)
The Heights
Cosmos (yes Cosmos)
Urbano (which you mentioned)
Salum
Parigi

16 hours ago, C-Man said:

Tell your buddy, pics of sitter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

We've done Rapscallion a few times. I've got a call in to Urbano Cafe to see about getting reso for four at 7 on Sat night. We haven't been there in years.

Haha...Urbano was going to be my suggestion.  Great minds.  Don't forget it's BYOB if you go there (or at least it used to be).

37 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

There is that place on Haskell across from Baylor but getting a reservation is impossible.

I still haven’t been.

What place is that?

Also, @C-Man maybe you should check out Alice.  We always have a great time there and have been a few times with other couples.  It's asian, but not overly aggressive.  Small plates type menu so everyone seems to find something they like.  Fun vibe, 80's music, reasonable prices.  Feels more like a cool little neighborhood place in New York than most places in Dallas.  We like places that feel like we are transported out of Dallas.  And, assuming your friends are a little younger (since they're getting a sitter), Alice will have a little younger vibe than Urbano.  Yep...Alice definitely my vote.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

What place is that?

Also, @C-Man maybe you should check out Alice.  We always have a great time there and have been a few times with other couples.  It's asian, but not overly aggressive.  Small plates type menu so everyone seems to find something they like.  Fun vibe, 80's music, reasonable prices.  Feels more like a cool little neighborhood place in New York than most places in Dallas.  We like places that feel like we are transported out of Dallas.  And, assuming your friends are a little younger (since they're getting a sitter), Alice will have a little younger vibe than Urbano.  Yep...Alice definitely my vote.

Petra and the Beast.  I couldn't remember the name of it when I posted.

Edited by DDD Dad

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Haha...Urbano was going to be my suggestion.  Great minds.  Don't forget it's BYOB if you go there (or at least it used to be).

Yeah, know all about the BYOB -- do you remember the corkage fee? I seem to remember it being a little high ($20 maybe) so that you'll do just as well buying the $35 bottle at Urbano as buying the similar bottle next door at Jimmy's. What I mean is you're probably better served going for the $30-$40 bottle at Jimmy's for the overall value. Does that make sense?

Thought about it. Never been. Not sure Asian is our play.

Seriously mot hai ba is great even if it may have lost a step or two in the last few years. You definitely need to try it some time.

But Cosmos surprisingly has excellent Vietnamese food (perhaps even better now). (Although I read the chef is going on paternity leave and a guest chef is going to be there for a couple months. )

http:// https://www.dallasnews.com/food/2018/07/13/dive-bar-in-dallas-is-quietly-serving-some-of-the-best-vietnamese-food-in-town/

We went to Urbano Cafe and it was terrific. I've never seen every plate on the table go back completely cleared of food. We sat in the super small front room and it was noisy AF and the vent-a-hood could be better in the kitchen, which is right there. Would rather sit in one of the other rooms. We picked up a couple of bottles of wine next door and paid $5/person corkage fee.

Started off with caprese s'mores and risotto balls for the table. Both were very tasty. Mrs C-Man ordered the brussels sprouts side and the kobe meatballs for her "main" while I got the duck breast special. Her brussels were terrific as was the duck. Our friend got the beef tenderloin off the regular menu and her husband got the "crispy" fish on the specials menu (I want to say it was redfish but I don't think that was it). At any rate, it's a great spot and you can BYOB.

Edited by C-Man