State of Oaxaca Questions

TexanTraveling

Hey All,

I'm taking the GF down to the state of Oaxaca to explore what is described as the most laid back "ex hippie" area of Mexico. I have been wanting to explore the area but have done very little research. I get the general vibe of the area, but would love to hit a couple beach towns and found some smaller unique boutique hotels or just generally unique places to stay. I don't have my heart set on any place in particular and would love some recos if anyone has been in the area.

Thank you in Advance.

They filmed Nacho Libre in Oaxaca. Dunno if lucha libre is bigger than usual there, but you could find out. I think the little goblin dudes that he fought in the movie are known as "Los Duendes".

During La Revolucion, Oaxaca was an independent state for a couple of years and minted their own coins. Might be a good conversation starter.

• 2 weeks later...

ALRIGHT:

Oaxaca City: December 28th, 29th leaving the 30th

Flying into Puerto Escondido 

Puerto Escondido: 30th, 31st, 1st, leaving the 2nd

Unknown: (Zipolite/huatulco?) 2nd, 3rd, 4th leaving the 5th

Oaxaca City 5th leave to DFW 6th

Any recommendations on where to eat and day trips, water excursions, beaches, food trucks etc. will be appreciated. I will obvi be doing research but those of you who have been might have some hidden gems.

So far I need to do a 4 hour lunch at Criollo. Reservation required?

5 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

ALRIGHT:

Oaxaca City: December 28th, 29th leaving the 30th

Flying into Puerto Escondido 

Puerto Escondido: 30th, 31st, 1st, leaving the 2nd

Unknown: (Zipolite/huatulco?) 2nd, 3rd, 4th leaving the 5th

Oaxaca City 5th leave to DFW 6th

Any recommendations on where to eat and day trips, water excursions, beaches, food trucks etc. will be appreciated. I will obvi be doing research but those of you who have been might have some hidden gems.

So far I need to do a 4 hour lunch at Criollo. Reservation required?

Both of these restaurants in the Crucecita downtown area of Huatulco are fan-dam-tastic:

Alfredo’s - coastal Mexican and mescal.  Alfredo’s El Jefe Shrimp dish is one of the meals I’ve ever had.

Giordano’s - literally next door to Alfredo’s.  Incredible Italian food.  Ton of Italian expats living in Huatulco and this is the spot where they eat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Both of these restaurants in the Crucecita downtown area of Huatulco are fan-dam-tastic:

Alfredo’s - coastal Mexican and mescal.  Alfredo’s El Jefe Shrimp dish is one of the meals I’ve ever had.

Giordano’s - literally next door to Alfredo’s.  Incredible Italian food.  Ton of Italian expats living in Huatulco and this is the spot where they eat.

Thanks my man.

I think we have found our spot. Casa Aamori in between Mazunte/Zipolite. Will definitely make a day trip over to Huatulco, it just seems to be either dive hotels with little to no atmosphere or exclusive resorts. Manzunte seems to have some really unique boutique hotels that dont break the bank. 

• Like 1