Speaker wiring

Buzzrock

We moved into a new house, and in the basement there are two speakers built into the walls. The wires run back to where my receiver is, and I could plug them into my B speaker outputs, but I don’t know which wires go to which speakers. There is one each of black, white, green, and red. Is there a way to figure out which wires connect to which speakers without a) damaging any equipment and b) pulling the speakers out of the wall?

At the receiver, is there one set of four color, or two.  If one, I'd try red and black to one, and green and white to the other.  In any event, you can't damage the speakers by playing with it until you get sound.  At worst, you have reversed polarity, which, again, will not damage either speakers or amp.

Edited by Tonesky
  • Like 1

Be careful doing this. You can damage tweeters easily. I would suggest a normal AAA battery for lower voltage, and make sure you just tap the wire against the battery, don't hold it there for any length of time.

Have a helper go stand next to one speaker. Hold one wire to one pole of the battery. Tap each other wire on the other pole of the battery (one wire at a time). You'll hear crackling or a pop from the speaker when you have the correct wire for the pair. Then the remaining 2 wires will be the other speaker.

Finally, you need to figure out wire polarity (if you care - on a basic in-wall install you'll never hear the difference if one is out of polarity). To do this, you need to take off the speaker grill and have someone look at the speaker cone. If the speaker contains multiple cones, look at the biggest one, it'll be easiest to see. Again do the battery tap above, but this time the buddy at the speaker isn't listening, he is looking to see if the cone moves outward or sucks inward when the battery is tapped. If it moves outward, mark the wire that is on the battery + as speaker +. If it sucks inward, mark the wire that is on battery - as speaker +. Do the same on the other pair of wires for the other speaker. Done. Again, I emphasize this can cause speaker damage, especially the polarity test as you often need to keep the battery connected a bit longer to be able to clearly see the speaker cone movement.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Be careful doing this. You can damage tweeters easily. I would suggest a normal AAA battery for lower voltage, and make sure you just tap the wire against the battery, don't hold it there for any length of time.

Have a helper go stand next to one speaker. Hold one wire to one pole of the battery. Tap each other wire on the other pole of the battery (one wire at a time). You'll hear crackling or a pop from the speaker when you have the correct wire for the pair. Then the remaining 2 wires will be the other speaker.

Finally, you need to figure out wire polarity (if you care - on a basic in-wall install you'll never hear the difference if one is out of polarity). To do this, you need to take off the speaker grill and have someone look at the speaker cone. If the speaker contains multiple cones, look at the biggest one, it'll be easiest to see. Again do the battery tap above, but this time the buddy at the speaker isn't listening, he is looking to see if the cone moves outward or sucks inward when the battery is tapped. If it moves outward, mark the wire that is on the battery + as speaker +. If it sucks inward, mark the wire that is on battery - as speaker +. Do the same on the other pair of wires for the other speaker. Done. Again, I emphasize this can cause speaker damage, especially the polarity test as you often need to keep the battery connected a bit longer to be able to clearly see the speaker cone movement.

Does this trick work for car audio speakers as well?  Have a couple small tweeter speakers up by the dash of an old project car that have never worked for me (in addition to one other speaker). All speakers were re-wired for a new head unit at some point and there's a bird nest of shit in the dash so I figure i've got nothing to lose. 

2 hours ago, kangsta said:

Does this trick work for car audio speakers as well?  Have a couple small tweeter speakers up by the dash of an old project car that have never worked for me (in addition to one other speaker). All speakers were re-wired for a new head unit at some point and there's a bird nest of shit in the dash so I figure i've got nothing to lose. 

It works for any speaker. I learned it from the guys at Earmark Car Audio in Dallas about 30 years ago.

14 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

giphy.gif