Houston Deputy shot during traffic stop

Homesickhorn

This sucks. Dude’s name was Sandeep Dhaliwal, and coincidentally, I got to meet him last year while bringing little homesick his lunch. He was doing a quick fifteen minute talk to the kiddos in the cafeteria/auditorium. Guy leaves three little ones and a wife.

They’ve got someone in custody, and I hope he doesn’t make it to booking if it’s the killer.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-officer-dies-cold-blooded-manor-traffic-stop/story?id=65914013

• Like 1

Was just posting this in active shooter thread in CR...I’ve come across a lot of Sikhs during my trips to India and here in the states...they are some of the calmest, polite, nicest people who happened to get a hugely incorrect rap after 911.  

Horrible, I know there’s a lot of (often rightfully earned) animosity towards cops but I bet he was one of the really good ones.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Was just posting this in active shooter thread in CR...I’ve come across a lot of Sikhs during my trips to India and here in the states...they are some of the calmest, polite, nicest people who happened to get a hugely incorrect rap after 911.  

Horrible, I know there’s a lot of (often rightfully earned) animosity towards cops but I bet he was one of the really good ones.  

And a the community that knew Sikhs stepped in quicklike where I lived in solidarity.  The Sikhs are highly loyal, highly gentle people, until you f with them.  They are some of the greatest warriors on earth when they want to be 

• Like 1

The POS that shot him had an active blue warrant since 2017 for a parole violation. He had a long history of violent offenses and knew he was going to be locked up following the traffic stop. When I was a parole officer that was one of my worries that someone who absconded from supervision with a blue warrant would do something horrible like this. 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:51 AM, Slade said:

The POS that shot him had an active blue warrant since 2017 for a parole violation. He had a long history of violent offenses and knew he was going to be locked up following the traffic stop. When I was a parole officer that was one of my worries that someone who absconded from supervision with a blue warrant would do something horrible like this. 

I’m curious how much HPD or HCSD manpower has been involved in getting this guy off the street over the past two year vs the infinite number of hours expended keeping all the speed traps fully manned. Of course they only find him when he rolls through a stop sign. 

Bernard

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:10 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If they murderer was willing to kill a deputy over not returning to prison, then you’re doing him a favor by dropping him down a staircase.  Send him back to prison for the rest of his life sounds like the worst punishment for him, even more than the death penalty.

We're in Texas. He'll fry.

Which, honestly, in an open and shut case like this, i'm totally fine with.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 10:51 AM, Slade said:

The guy's ex wife was on Channel 11 last night.  He's been threatening her for months.  She called his PO over 10 times trying to get him arrested.  She even had his current address, but nobody went and got him.  He's on crystal clear dashcam video shooting Dahliwal in the back of the head.  I wish we could needle him immediately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

We're in Texas. He'll fry.

Which, honestly, in an open and shut case like this, i'm totally fine with.

Then you're giving the guy the easiest way out.  Drop him in general population for 40 years is the worst punishment he could receive.  but it doesn't matter much to me one way or the other.

15 hours ago, Bernard said:

I’m curious how much HPD or HCSD manpower has been involved in getting this guy off the street over the past two year vs the infinite number of hours expended keeping all the speed traps fully manned. Of course they only find him when he rolls through a stop sign. 

Bernard

Usually it can take a while. Most of the time the offender would have to mess up first. A lot of them lay low, avoid driving, etc. I had one guy that was on the run for so long (I'm talking years) his parole term expired before he was arrested on his blue warrant, since he didn't get into any trouble the Parole Board let him go. 

8 hours ago, Lat22 said:

The guy's ex wife was on Channel 11 last night.  He's been threatening her for months.  She called his PO over 10 times trying to get him arrested.  She even had his current address, but nobody went and got him.  He's on crystal clear dashcam video shooting Dahliwal in the back of the head.  I wish we could needle him immediately.

I don't know how it is in Harris County but in Jefferson County we tend to have a good rapport with local PDs and the sheriff's office. If his wife called the PO multiple times then I would hope the PO passed that info along to HCSD. I'm pretty sure the Office of Inspector General (OIG) is going through that PO's case with a fine toothed comb to see if he/she did their due diligence. There has to be a good level of communication across agencies and a more robust effort to pick these guys up, especially with violent offenders like this one.

Papa John's was going to give today's profits to the family and has now extended that through Friday.  The Houston President of 77 stores says theyve sold more pizza today than during a Super Bowl.  It might not be great pizza but it is a nice gesture even if it is tons of free advertising for them.

6 hours ago, Slade said:

Usually it can take a while. Most of the time the offender would have to mess up first. A lot of them lay low, avoid driving, etc. I had one guy that was on the run for so long (I'm talking years) his parole term expired before he was arrested on his blue warrant, since he didn't get into any trouble the Parole Board let him go. 

JKC. Now I’ve heard it all. HPD has 5,500 cops and a $880 million annual budget. Harris County has 2,500 deputies and $669 million annual budget and and it seems like it standard operating procedure to do nothing more with parole violators than enter their name in a database and just hope they get somehow screw up and cross paths with a cop. Unbelievable, except of course it’s totally believable. 

Bernard

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Then you're giving the guy the easiest way out.  Drop him in general population for 40 years is the worst punishment he could receive.  but it doesn't matter much to me one way or the other.

Sadly in our current climate he will be voting and released in ten years for “cruel and unusual” punishment. 

needle. 

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Sadly in our current climate he will be voting and released in ten years for “cruel and unusual” punishment. 

needle. 

You may be right especially considering Texas is one of only a handful of states that doesn’t offer life without parole.  Soft on crime.

16 hours ago, thestud said:

But the more it gets advertised, the more pizzas get sold and the more money to the family.

Dont get me wrong, its a very cool things for them to do.  I had Papa John's for dinner last night for the first time in a while solely because of this.