Facebook AKA “Hydra” Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I have to think political ads are not a huge portion of Facebook’s total ad revenue. In 2018 their total ad revenue was 55 BILLION DOLLARS.

I feel like there’s a real easy solution for Zuckerberg - ban all political ads. Period.

The Pod Save America guys agree with you.

That would have been the easiest solution from the beginning, but for whatever reason Zuckerburg refused.  Now he's actively helping foreign governments influence American elections.  He deserves the beatdown he's going to get from President Warren.

• Like 3

The Pod Save America guys agree with you.

I’m behind on their podcast, I need to catch up but I’ve been back on my true crime podcast bullshit lately.

Listening to the political podcasts was bumming me out.

Hearing stories about literal murder is better for my mental health than listening to the latest about Trump.

What a world.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m behind on their podcast, I need to catch up but I’ve been back on my true crime podcast bullshit lately.

Listening to the political podcasts was bumming me out.

Hearing stories about literal murder is better for my mental health than listening to the latest about Trump.

What a world.

Quit listening over a year ago because it bummed me out as well.  Doubled up on Maron and now am back to music or anything else.  

38 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

AOC gutted him. His answer to the last question is frightening. 

Zuck claims he first became aware of Cambridge Analytica in March 2018 ?!!!

what a whopping bald-faced lie.  You know he knows he lied as he comes back to it unprompted attempting a plausible hedge after AOC let him hang himself with that initial lie.  Vile.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/tech/facebook-false-ads-california-governor/index.html

New York (CNN Business)A San Francisco man is going to extreme lengths to call out Facebook's controversial policy of allowing politicians to run false ads on its platform. On Monday morning, he registered as a candidate in California's 2022 gubernatorial election -- not with the primary goal of becoming governor, but so he can run false Facebook ads of his own.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I’m meeting my brother in law in Waco yesterday to drop off my mother in law so he can drive her up to Dallas when he unexpectedly brings along a friend of his that I’ve met a few times but I haven’t seen in years and who we share 5 Facebook friends with. We talk for a little bit over lunch then I go back to Austin. 

I log on to Facebook today on my cell phone and for the first time ever Facebook suggests me adding my brother in law’s friend as a Facebook friend. Right at the top. 

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. But what is it? Voice recognition over my phone? Location tracking? Both? What? 

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So I’m meeting my brother in law in Waco yesterday to drop off my mother in law so he can drive her up to Dallas when he unexpectedly brings along a friend of his that I’ve met a few times but I haven’t seen in years and who we share 5 Facebook friends with. We talk for a little bit over lunch then I go back to Austin. 

I log on to Facebook today on my cell phone and for the first time ever Facebook suggests me adding my brother in law’s friend as a Facebook friend. Right at the top. 

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. But what is it? Voice recognition over my phone? Location tracking? Both? What? 

Does FB track your location via your phone?  Perhaps it recognized that you were near that person for a while and cross referenced the friend lists?  Shit's crazy man.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Does FB track your location via your phone?  Perhaps it recognized that you were near that person for a while and cross referenced the friend lists?  Shit's crazy man.

Dunno. I’ve never been good with technology so I’m like an old when it comes to this crap. I’m assuming it is. I think it’s only when I’m logged in but I’m suspicious that that’s bullshit as well. 

From my job dealing with the various youngs in Austin that at the end of the day, there is zero privacy on the net no matter what you do. License plate tracking technology clinched that for me. 

Kept fake news pages up to placate snowflake conservatives

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/02/20/facebook-republican-shift/

Facebook created “Project P” — for propaganda — in the hectic weeks after the 2016 presidential election and quickly found dozens of pages that had peddled false news reports ahead of Donald Trump’s surprise victory. Nearly all were based overseas, had financial motives and displayed a clear rightward bent.

In a world of perfect neutrality, which Facebook espouses as its goal, the political tilt of the pages shouldn’t have mattered. But in a videoconference between Facebook’s Washington office and its Silicon Valley headquarters in December 2016, the company’s most senior Republican, Joel Kaplan, voiced concerns that would become familiar to those within the company.

“We can’t remove all of it because it will disproportionately affect conservatives,” said Kaplan, a former George W. Bush White House official and now the head of Facebook’s Washington office, according to people familiar with the meeting who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect professional relationships.
[/Quote]

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

“We can’t remove all of it because it will disproportionately affect conservatives,” said Kaplan, a former George W. Bush White House official and now the head of Facebook’s Washington office, according to people familiar with the meeting who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect professional relationships.

Maybe, I don't know, STOP BEING SCUMBAGS

• 3 weeks later...

I recently opened a Facebook account (my first) to sell some stuff on Marketplace. Facebook asked me politely, several times, if it could access my phone's contacts. I assume to match names there with facebook users. I declined obviously.

But it somehow knows anyway who I interact with girl. Customers, friends, etc. I assume FB has all THEIR contact lists, and any contact with the name "Parliament" they assume is me. Then they suggest that person to me as a follow. Nice try, Guys.

To post on Marketplace you gotta be vetted as not being a Russian bot or whatever. Makes sense. So I went and followed 15 random people. Now FB is suggesting the buncha MAGA Trumpsters as friends. I am a supporter of our President, but I don't have anything pro-Trump on FB. I haven't posted anything at all. So why? Why is FB pushing me to be friends with Trumpsters?