Facebook AKA “Hydra” Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

We’re going to need an exclusive Facebook thread for all the bad Facebook news that will be dropping over the next week.

• Facebook was in talks with top hospitals and other medical groups as recently as last month about a proposal to share data about the social networks of their most vulnerable patients. 
  • The idea was to build profiles of people that included their medical conditions, information that health systems have, as well as social and economic factors gleaned from Facebook.
  • Facebook said the project is on hiatus so it can focus on "other important work, including doing a better job of protecting people's data."
Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

• Facebook was in talks with top hospitals and other medical groups as recently as last month about a proposal to share data about the social networks of their most vulnerable patients.

Was protected information from Spectrum Health's large medical data base taken (given) for use in FB/CA/Russian IRA troll farm targeting in those northern flyover states ?

This could come full circle back to reporting about Spectrum Health (DeVos family) and what data their server was transmitting in that triangle with Trump Tower and Russian Alfa Bank servers.  

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Was protected information from Spectrum Health's large medical data base taken (given) for use in FB/CA/Russian IRA troll farm targeting in those northern flyover states ?

This could come full circle back to reporting about Spectrum Health (DeVos family) and what data their server was transmitting in that triangle with Trump Tower and Russian Alfa Bank servers.  

Would be the mother of all guillotines if this could be proven but I doubt it

13 minutes ago, yaqdum said:

this is quickly becoming nightmare.

there is no way facebook and the creeps who run it will survive this.  at least as business and as businessmen.

That's what people said about RJ Reynolds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, triplehorn said:

CwIPaTgVUAA5Vlh.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

I'm talking about companies whose products feed off addiction.

Phillip Morris and RJ did get heavily regulated and taxed at the end of the day.  And it’s not like the Kremlin was selling cigarettes to kids in PA, MI, WS, and NC with help from the tobacco companies 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Phillip Morris and RJ did get heavily regulated and taxed at the end of the day.  And it’s not like the Kremlin was selling cigarettes to kids in PA, MI, WS, and NC with help from the tobacco companies 

My point was Big Tobacco survived all of the fallout. This isn't going to take out Facebook nor should it.

Facebook’s own terms of service don’t cover the company removing content from accounts unless it violates community standards, so Facebook’s actions look shady as a result. The actions could be viewed as an attempt to remove potentially embarrassing messages, and this is particularly relevant given the history of Facebook. Zuckerberg called people “dumb fucks” for trusting him early on at the beginning of Facebook, and he allegedly hacked into a Facebook user’s private email account back in 2004.

On 4/5/2018 at 4:58 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t think Facebook should be destroyed but Zuckerberg should step down as CEO at this point.  

JMO

He will when he runs for president, or so I've read on another forum to not be named here.  

The problem is the US Gov is in bed and relies on FB, Google, and countless other tech giants to spy on us.

It's hard for them to do much to reign in tech companies when they can turn around and say 'hey...isn't the NSA and other agencies using our IT tools?  Aren't we a major source of your data collection?  Aren't we partners in a lot of these ventures?  I'm also pretty sure you bought some of that data from us last election cycle...right?'

I had this conversation with a customer Friday.  Every electronic piece of data is basically an open liability...regardless of where its located.  If you use Yahoo mail or Gmail or whatever, bet the farm it's been scanned for information.  

As much as FB is a bunch of pricks...Google is IMHO 1000x's more ruthless and scary.  All the people thinking about the information they put on FB don't really consider all the info in their Gmail, Android devices, or Google searches.  Google's interaction with the US Gov is much larger than FB's...I don't think anyone fully knows how deep Google's relationship runs with the Feds.  

Clearly don't forget Apple & Microsoft as well...I'm sure they've got plenty of dirt on us as well. 

I'm pretty sure the reason no one is coming down too hard on all these data losses is because their being committed with the NSA's tool kit they've admittedly lost.  I used to tell customers that nothing is impossible with time and money.  That's something the NSA & Fed Gov have in spades. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XR4ticlone said:

The problem is the US Gov is in bed and relies on FB, Google, and countless other tech giants to spy on us.

It's hard for them to do much to reign in tech companies when they can turn around and say 'hey...isn't the NSA and other agencies using our IT tools?  Aren't we a major source of your data collection?  Aren't we partners in a lot of these ventures?  I'm also pretty sure you bought some of that data from us last election cycle...right?'

I had this conversation with a customer Friday.  Every electronic piece of data is basically an open liability...regardless of where its located.  If you use Yahoo mail or Gmail or whatever, bet the farm it's been scanned for information.  

As much as FB is a bunch of pricks...Google is IMHO 1000x's more ruthless and scary.  All the people thinking about the information they put on FB don't really consider all the info in their Gmail, Android devices, or Google searches.  Google's interaction with the US Gov is much larger than FB's...I don't think anyone fully knows how deep Google's relationship runs with the Feds.  

Clearly don't forget Apple & Microsoft as well...I'm sure they've got plenty of dirt on us as well. 

I'm pretty sure the reason no one is coming down too hard on all these data losses is because their being committed with the NSA's tool kit they've admittedly lost.  I used to tell customers that nothing is impossible with time and money.  That's something the NSA & Fed Gov have in spades. 

Google definitely has the most data on you and the most scary data. We literally search for the stuff we are too scared to ask about on a routine basis in addition for us putting our life into email without regard to privacy. Most people will be a little hesitant to post some things on Facebook, but have no worries about putting far more sensitive stuff through Gmail. Then there are the files we host on drive, the photos we use Google photos to organize, etc. Google is a lot more professional so I'm less worried about a CA like thing occurring and I guess I've kind of just accepted the NSA will have all of my data and that my only goal is to reduce the number of companies and persons that are not Facebook or Google that have significant access to my data. Google and Facebook provide enough value to me that I'm largely ok with them having my data and would be more ok if they could get their shit together.

Twitter too

Twitter's co-founder, Jack Dorsey, found himself under fire on Saturday, after Tweeting out an article heralding a solution to partisan rancor -- by suggesting that Democrats should declare a political civil war and rid the two-party system of the other party, once and for all.

The article in question was a self-published think piece on Medium.com by a fellow CEO, that claims California's model of one-party rule should be replicated country-wide in order to ensure the long-term survival of the American dream. "There's no bipartisan way forward at this juncture in our history," the author argues. "One side must win."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/08/technology/facebook-user-data-notify/index.html

Facebook is about to tell users if their data was shared with Cambridge Analytica

By Jackie Wattles April 8, 2018: 6:17 PM ET

Facebook on Monday will begin alerting the 87 million users whose data may have been harvested by Cambridge Analytica.

The company plans to post a link at the top of users' news feeds that will allow them to see which apps are connected to their Facebook accounts and what information those apps are permitted to see.

"As part of this process we will also tell people if their information may have been improperly shared with Cambridge Analytica," the company said last week.

On 4/5/2018 at 6:41 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The government's approach was "Hey, you guys are selling an awful product that kills people.  But you're making a lot of money, so cut us in on the deal, and we'll leave you alone.  And we'll make sure you don't get any new competitors."  The mafia would be proud of a deal like that.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The government's approach was "Hey, you guys are selling an awful product that kills people.  But you're making a lot of money, so cut us in on the deal, and we'll leave you alone.  And we'll make sure you don't get any new competitors."  The mafia would be proud of a deal like that.

Sounds like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and big Pharma.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

lol at this shit show. On appearance Zuckerberg is going to get drilled hard core and everyone will comment on his uncomfortable behavior. “He’s fucked!!!” Nope! The reality is that Zuckerberg is going to absolutely own those codgers...it just won’t look that way.

DOG-AND-PONY-SHOW

I’ll be surprised if Zuckerberg attempts to be the least bit forthright with the stooges running these hearings.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:35 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Zork is ok with that long Is involves outlawing abortion. .

sh11_0.JPG?itok=E3Z-7aUG

Zork is ok with her purty mouth sans the teeth if insertion were implied by posting said pic.  I'm just sayin'.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/04/09/facebooks-mark-zuckerberg-will-not-be-under-oath-before-senate-committee-but-compelled-by-statute-to-tell-the-truth/

When Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg takes the stand before a joint congressional panel on Tuesday, he will not be under oath, Breitbart News has learned. But he will be required by federal statute to tell the truth, and if he lies he could face serious legal consequences.

A senior Senate GOP aide helping organize the joint Senate Judiciary Committee and Senate Commerce Committee hearing told Breitbart News that it is standard practice not to swear witnesses like this in under oath. But they are required by law to tell the truth, the aide says.

“He won’t be under oath, but he is under legal obligation to tell the truth,” the Senate aide told Breitbart News of Zuckerberg.

The Senate hearing, the first of two appearances Zuckerberg will make before Congress this week, begins at 2:15 p.m. ET on Capitol Hill. Judiciary Committee chairman Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) will begin by explaining how the joint committee hearing will operate, then opening statements will be made by Senate Commerce Committee chairman Sen. John Thune (R-SD), Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Grassley, and Commerce Committee ranking member Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL).

---------------

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/04/facebook-gave-most-contributions-house-committee-question-zuckerberg-also-got-most-contributions-fac/486313002/

WASHINGTON — Members of the House and Senate committees that will question Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg about user privacy protection next week are also some of the biggest recipients of campaign contributions from Facebook employees directly and the political action committee funded by employees.

The congressional panel that got the most Facebook contributions is the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which announced Wednesday morning it would question Zuckerberg on April 11.

Members of the committee, whose jurisdiction gives it regulatory power over Internet companies, received nearly $381,000 in contributions tied to Facebook since 2007, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. The center is a non-partisan, non-profit group that compiles and analyzes disclosures made to the Federal Election Commission.

The second-highest total, $369,000, went to members of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, which announced later that it would have a joint hearing with the Senate Judiciary Committee to question Zuckerberg on Tuesday. Judiciary Committee members have received $235,000 in Facebook contributions.

On the House committee, Republicans got roughly twice as much as Democrats, counter to the broader trend in Facebook campaign gifts. Of the $7 million in contributions to all federal candidates tied to the Menlo Park, Calif.-based social network, Democrats got 65% to Republicans' 33%.

Of the 55 members on the Energy and Commerce Committee this year, all but nine have received Facebook contributions in the past decade. The average Republican got $6,800, while the average Democrat got $6,750.

Committee Chairman Greg Walden, R-Ore., received $27,000, while Rep. Frank Pallone of New Jersey, the top-ranking Democrat, got $7,000.

Walden and Pallone jointly announced that the committee on April 11 will question Zuckerberg "to shed light on critical consumer data privacy issues and help all Americans better understand what happens to their personal information online."

Nearly 30 lawmakers hold stock in Facebook — including three who could soon be grilling its CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, about a British company that usurped his firm’s data without user consent to possibly help steer elections.

Twenty-eight members listed stock in the social media giant, according to Roll Call’s Wealth of Congressproject. Among them, Democratic Reps. Kurt Schrader of Oregon and Joseph P. Kennedy III of Massachusetts sit on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, while Democratic Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island sits on Senate Judiciary.

Both panels, along with Senate Commerce, invited Zuckerberg to appear before them after reports that Cambridge Analytica, a British big data firm, obtained access to private information of millions of Facebook users under questionable circumstances. Cambridge Analytica reportedly incorporated the data in ad-targeting tools used by political campaigns including President Donald Trump’s winning 2016 bid.

House Commerce announced Wednesday that Zuckerberg will testify on April 11 on “the company’s use and protection of user data.”

Kennedy, through various trust funds, has at least $80,000 invested in Facebook, Schrader at least $15,000, and Whitehouse no less than $30,000.

Ten Democratic members, including Kennedy, sent a letter last Thursday to the Federal Trade Commission commending its investigation into Facebook’s data privacy practices.

“Congressman Kennedy’s stock holdings do not influence his work in Congress,” his office said in response to questions from Roll Call about his Facebook shares.

Schrader and Whitehouse did not respond to requests for comment.

Other notable lawmakers also own a slice of Facebook — including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi. Through her husband, the California Democrat holds at least $500,000 in the social media stock.

Texas Republican Rep. Michael McCaul reported at least $1 million in Facebook stock and some $30,000 in 2016 capital gains through his spouse and child.

Illinois Rep. Brad Schneider has at least $200,000 in the company through his wife’s IRA, while Rhode Island Rep. Jim Langevin, a fellow Democrat, holds stock worth at least $115,000 and had capital gains of more than $5,000, according to his 2016 financial disclosure. Ohio Republican Rep. James B. Renacci also owns at least $150,000 worth of Facebook stock.

Several lawmakers with holdings in the company say they recognize that new policies on social media oversight are needed after the latest developments.

“I have called for regulation on data and an internet bill [of] rights. I have said that self regulation is not sufficient,” Rep. Ro Khanna said in an email. The California Democrat listed Facebook stock worth at least $2,000 through a financial firm that manages his wife’s assets.

“The Facebook assets are held by my wife, not by me,” Khanna wrote in an email. “She has an independent financial management firm manage her assets and does not make decisions on what to buy or sell.”

Pelosi’s office also sought to put distance between the Democratic leader and her husband when asked about Facebook being listed on her disclosure.

“These investments are Mr. Pelosi’s not Leader Pelosi’s. Leader Pelosi plays no role in this investment and has no stock investments of her own,” an aide said.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/face-facebook-hill-holds-stock-social-media

Just In:  Facebook, Cambridge Analytica hit with class-action lawsuit

Facebook and Cambridge Analytica were hit with a class-action lawsuit on Tuesday, just hours before Mark Zuckerberg is slated to testify to Congress about how the political consulting firm managed to improperly obtain data on 87 million Facebook users.

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

This is painful. A bunch of old farts trying to walk through how ad-driven services work.

No kidding. Just want to reach out and strangle these motherfuckers.

Just talk to one of your countless 20 year old aids about how to bypass advertising, block ads, or how the posting privacy works, before coming to the hearing maybe?

"I had a conversation with a colleague about chocolate and now I'm receiving ads for chocolate!!!!!"

Oh, and Zuckerberg is definitely an alien.

Edited by LonghornJudas