Someone is writing racist shit on my property

hookem2010

4 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

In all seriousness, I kind of want to move to a small hill country town eventually (like bandera, Blanco, Johnson City, etc) but I seriously worry about the racists  aspect of small towns, and I'm only slightly brown 

I think the last time I heard the N-word being yelled repeatedly in public was at a Blanco football game.  

I have to say that I'm impressed by the fact that Surly hasn't yet suggested that perhaps this is in response to local soft drink tampering incidents. 

Seriously though, this sucks. I agree that you should notify the police just so that on the off chance that something else happens in the future, there will be a record of a pattern of events. I think that's probably likely to lead to more effort and attention from law enforcement if it should come to that. 

As far as cameras go, you should ask yourself whether it's more important to catch the fuckers (my money is on a couple of high school shitheads, a boy and a girl, who have snuck out of the house and are engaging in low-level mischief between diddling eat other) or to deter the fuckers. If catching them is more important, go with hidden game cameras. If deterrence is more important, then go with obvious and conspicuous cameras. Maybe even some of those fake "camera with blinking red light" deals that you can buy from Skymall and other purveyors of vaguely useful gadgets and garbage. 

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Serious Mode: Sorry this happened. It sucks. Notify somebody official.

Surly Mode: Set out some pit traps with punji stakes.

General rambling: East Texas is the easy guess, but don't underestimate other places. I was with my former Filipina girlfriend in a tiny Hill Country grocery store, she thought it was "cute", but all I saw was the old evil Czech-Kraut Nazi at the counter giving her stink-eye. She was all positive and didn't notice. I, as Scotch-Irish I see insane evil whenever I glance at a mirror, so it's an old familiar friend. You lookin at ME? Fuckin Kraut-Czech-Nazi bastard...

• Like 3

When I was a teenager a guy moved down the street (about five houses) named Sydney Ng. 

We used to play basketball in a hoop in my backyard and whenever one particular guy scored, he would yell "Sydney IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIng!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs in triumph.

That's all I have to say about Sydney Ng.

If you decide on multiple cameras (I know, they get expensive), besides the ones that are put up out of reach, find a place to hide one that is at around 5 1/2 to 6 feet, or can be angled that way from the ground. Many videos from higher up give crappy views for identification. So, if they escalate the behavior, you have better documentation. I am hoping they don't escalate, but it can and does happen (depending upon their motivations) and you want to be prepared. Oh, and motion activated security lights sometimes deter people who are thrill seeking but not plain old evil.

I am sorry this happened to you all. It is frightening and wrong and not how people should be welcomed to a community.

32 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

When I was a teenager a guy moved down the street (about five houses) named Sydney Ng. 

We used to play basketball in a hoop in my backyard and whenever one particular guy scored, he would yell "Sydney IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIng!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs in triumph.

That's all I have to say about Sydney Ng.

We had a Vietnamese kid on our basketball team in high school. One day in practice, after he he kept camping in the lane on offense, Coach stops us, grabs him by the arm, and drags him up the lane, across the free throw line, and back down the other side of the lane.

"Everything inside here is Laos. No go in Laos!"

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

I guess I'd like to think that as you guys go out and get familiar with your neighbors people will get to know you and at least you'll get some positive vibes while you get to the bottom of the bullshit. 

I'm still somewhat optimistic about the idea that most people just need a bit of exposure to others before they start acting like humans.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

We had a Vietnamese kid on our basketball team in high school. One day in practice, after he he kept camping in the lane on offense, Coach stop us, grabs him by the arm, and drags him up the lane, across the free throw line, and back down the other side of the lane.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, smuggs said:

Befriend the local auto parts store owner, car dealer and your landlord. Might want to call in a favor to your old bouncer friend. And remember, when a man sticks a gun in your face you got two choices - you can die or you can kill the motherfucker.

A man truly after my own heart...well done, have some rep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

We had a Vietnamese kid on our basketball team in high school. One day in practice, after he he kept camping in the lane on offense, Coach stops us, grabs him by the arm, and drags him up the lane, across the free throw line, and back down the other side of the lane.

Reminds me of pick up games in Gregory against the Vietnamese students association. Some ticky tack foul calling, poor losing, sons of bitches.

At least in the mid 90s

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Reminds me of pick up games in Gregory against the Vietnamese students association. Some ticky tack foul calling, poor losing, sons of bitches.

At least in the mid 90s

Running Jap plays?

4ce6095d4bd7c8c822130000.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

General rambling: East Texas is the easy guess, but don't underestimate other places. I was with my former Filipina girlfriend in a tiny Hill Country grocery store, she thought it was "cute", but all I saw was the old evil Czech-Kraut Nazi at the counter giving her stink-eye. She was all positive and didn't notice. I, as Scotch-Irish I see insane evil whenever I glance at a mirror, so it's an old familiar friend. You lookin at ME? Fuckin Kraut-Czech-Nazi bastard...

Ok me Scotch-Irish brother...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I will hence envision RD thusly:

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

OP-you are white and new in town?  Just dress down and start hanging out at the breakfast joints and the dive bars.  Ask about the new (insert racial slur here) lady/kids in town.  You’ll only have a couple days before they get wise and realize who you are.  But that gives you time to see who brags about “putting those folks in their place”.  It’ll come out if you know how to ask discrete but open ended questions and then shut up.  You’ll have a half dozen culprits by week’s end.  You can scrub that against age, location, and motive.  From there, we have two or three we can really go to work on.  And I mean, fuck for life.  

I know the tough guy routine with the firearms in Texas is tempting; but our way involves zero violence or guns.  And the people are Ruined for a generation or more.  Depending on how far you wanna go with it.  

A racist incident over a white-asian relationship? Not saying it doesn't happen but that's a new one.

Every white dude I know is with an Asian girl, and every Asian dude I know is with a white girl. How do they pick who to harass?

1 minute ago, ajax said:

A racist incident over a white-asian relationship? Not saying it doesn't happen but that's a new one.

Every white dude I know is with an Asian girl, and every Asian dude I know is with a white girl. How do they pick who to harass?

That shit happens all the time.  Generally the smaller and shittier the town, the more overt it becomes.  You usually get nasty looks, shitty service, a few times we've been denied service... in a really pussy way...  "oh we're fixin' ta close"   - Pizza joint at 3:45 on Saturday

Only really had a few folks actually say something ..   it's some racist lingo like "race traitor"

But that's over 25 yrs...  and I live in a nice part of the world so rarely if ever.

Worst / most blatant was in Germany...  go figure

22 minutes ago, ajax said:

I'm white and my wife is Asian.  I'd say once a month or so we get dirty looks, usually from old white ladies or old Asian ladies.  We've never had to deal with any express statements of racism, but we tend to stick to urban areas and we live in Austin, so that might have something to do with it.  

6 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I'm white and my wife is Asian.  I'd say once a month or so we get dirty looks, usually from old white ladies or old Asian ladies.  We've never had to deal with any express statements of racism, but we tend to stick to urban areas and we live in Austin, so that might have something to do with it.  

We've never had any incidents. Or maybe I'm not paying attention. When our kids were young, people used to think my wife was the nanny but she thought that was funny.

Edited by ajax