CFP '19-- Auburn the nexus?

Magus Ossis

On 12/1/2019 at 11:51 AM, mdmost said:

If Georgia upsets LSU, I still see LSU going. LSU moves to 4th, plays #1 Ohio State. Georgia moves to 3rd, plays #2 Clemson. Utah and OU are on the outside looking in. 

Doesn't everyone agree on this?  tOSU and LSU are in unless they get blown out.  I still think Utah gets in over OU if both wins are about equal margin.  There's OU fatigue and the PAC hasn't been in for few years.  OU has the better resume imo but I'm ok with them being left out.  Then again - if PAC is left out again, do we get to 8 teams faster?  That's really what we need.  Ditch the stupid conference championships and get to 8 team.  Force a round robin from other leagues...or at least closer to one vs not playing certain teams in your own damn conference for like 5 years.  Stupid. 

39 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ditch the stupid conference championships and get to 8 team.  

Yes.  Go to eight, with round one at the top four seeds' home field.

Conference championships have outlived their usefulness.  Start summer practice and first games a week later.  The season is too long anyway.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:26 PM, Bama Llama said:

Yes.  Go to eight, with round one at the top four seeds' home field.

Conference championships have outlived their usefulness.  Start summer practice and first games a week later.  The season is too long anyway.

Conference Championship games = more football and should be considered the 1st round of the Playoffs.   Don't win your conference? "Sit down Waldo"

• Like 1

Yes, 3 time loser OU because of their defense each time is a better option because they have a big name attached to them. Never mind their worse defense than Utah's. Utah being in the playoff is exactly why the playoff was supposed to exist. We have no way of knowing who is better, them or OU. So open it up to more teams so we can find out. 

• Like 4

Why the fuck is it always about who the country wants to see or the mythical eye test. Why isn't it ever about what's fair?

Stop it with the fucking do-overs and rematches. If you lose your conference champ game to a playoff team, you're out. There shouldn't an immediate do-over in the next game like they wanted to give Georgia last year. Give another deserving (P5 conf champ) team the opportunity.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Why the fuck is it always about who the country wants to see or the mythical eye test. Why isn't it ever about what's fair?

Stop it with the fucking do-overs and rematches. If you lose your conference champ game to a playoff team, you're out. There shouldn't an immediate do-over in the next game like they wanted to give Georgia last year. Give another deserving (P5 conf champ) team the opportunity.

Which is why I think if either Ohio State or LSU -- or god forbid, both -- lose their CCG's on Saturday they should be out!

• Haha 1

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

Read my post. Ohio State is not playing a playoff contender in their CCG, therefore there would be no do-over.

I'm a big proponent of conference champs getting in over non-champs and I *hate* multiple teams from one conference getting in. Why shouldn't Wisconsin be considered if they upset Ohio State in B10 title game?

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm a big proponent of conference champs getting in over non-champs and I *hate* multiple teams from one conference getting in. Why shouldn't Wisconsin be considered if they upset Ohio State in B10 title game?

[BS] "Because the regular season wouldn't mean anything!" [/BS]

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Two+ loss teams being ranked too far below other contenders from other conferences should not get to jump all they way into the playoff. My whole point is to eliminate idea of giving CCG losers a free do-over in the playoff, like many wanted last year. 2017 was the one year they did get it right with two SEC teams in the playoff, because Georgia and Bama had never seen each other during the season. There was no bullshit do-over game that year.

Now, I'd like to eventually gravitate toward the model of the CCG being the first round of the playoffs. Conference realignment must happen first. Realign P5 and ND to 4 super conferences and let G5 do their own thing. Then you we can make the CCG game a true first round of the playoffs. 

Also, you wouldn't need to engage in the debate of which conference is better than the other, since no one has to get left out every year.

Edited by USNALonghorn

The best thing that could happen would be for both OH St and LSU to lose and still get in with UGA and Clemson.  Highlight the farce, screw 2 P5 conferences again, maximize pressure to expand to 8.  It's all a beauty contest until there is a guaranteed path for any P5 team to earn a berth with solely on field results:  all P5 conf champs get a spot.  

P5 champs + 3 wildcards to cover anomalies and possible G5 qualifier.  So simple even a caveman can do it.  Unfortunately woke school presidents lack the requisite common sense. 

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

I still think it needs to be 16:  

•  10 conference champions 
  •  6 at-larges
  • Only conference winners get first round home games.

This non-P5 teams being eliminated from championship contention at the beginning of the season, just because of their conference shit is archaic.  Either include everybody in the playoffs or shrink FBS to only programs with a path to the championship.

10 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

No, it's the more popular option. Popular meaning it will interest and attract casual viewers.

How is this news to anyone at this point?

Yeah, no one will tune in to watch LSU or tOSU play Utah. I mean people would've watched the playoff but a PAC12 got in so now they don't care. 

20 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Two+ loss teams being ranked too far below other contenders from other conferences should not get to jump all they way into the playoff. My whole point is to eliminate idea of giving CCG losers a free do-over in the playoff, like many wanted last year. 2017 was the one year they did get it right with two SEC teams in the playoff, because Georgia and Bama had never seen each other during the season. There was no bullshit do-over game that year.

Now, I'd like to eventually gravitate toward the model of the CCG being the first round of the playoffs. Conference realignment must happen first. Realign P5 and ND to 4 super conferences and let G5 do their own thing. Then you we can make the CCG game a true first round of the playoffs. 

Also, you wouldn't need to engage in the debate of which conference is better than the other, since no one has to get left out every year.

Actually, they blew it that year too. Bama should never have gotten into that playoff as they not only didn't win their conference, they didn't even win their own division.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 7:37 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Doesn't everyone agree on this?  tOSU and LSU are in unless they get blown out.  I still think Utah gets in over OU if both wins are about equal margin.  There's OU fatigue and the PAC hasn't been in for few years.  OU has the better resume imo but I'm ok with them being left out.  Then again - if PAC is left out again, do we get to 8 teams faster?  That's really what we need.  Ditch the stupid conference championships and get to 8 team.  Force a round robin from other leagues...or at least closer to one vs not playing certain teams in your own damn conference for like 5 years.  Stupid. 

I am all for chaos and as much bitching as possible for teams/conferences that are left out, especially if they wind up putting two SEC teams in.   I'd love to see the committee have to deal with  tOSU and/or LSU losing their conference championship game.  Even if that doesn't happen, the Big XII or PAC are going to be left out.  I think OU/Baylor deserve to be in over a PAC team but I am sure every member of the PAC thinks otherwise.  Whatever gets us to the logical 8 team play-off and causes the committee the most headache is my preference.

7 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

I am all for chaos and as much bitching as possible for teams/conferences that are left out ... Whatever gets us to the logical 8 team play-off and causes the committee the most headache is my preference.

Chaos, yes. The bitching is tiresome, but every time a deserving P5 team gets left out, I agree, our chances of playoff expansion improve. At least I'd like to think so.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

No. More people will watch Oklahoma than Utah. The games will generate a healthy viewing audience regardless of which victim is selected for the top seed, but the number will be larger if Oklahoma is selected.

I don't know about that. For example, I've watched ND get their asses handed to them too many times to care if they get in again. Some might feel the same way about OU. Utah? A bit of an unknown to most due to the time zone differences. I think there'd be some curiosity factor there that would draw eyeballs, not to mention the entire western US seeing one of their own would probably increase the number of TV sets in that part of the world tuned to the game.

Now if by some odd chance there were no SEC teams in the playoffs then yeah, viewership would drop off bigly. But as long as that geographic region is represented, those people are going to watch just about anything. Well, maybe not Vandy and Baylor.

36 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Actually, they blew it that year too. Bama should never have gotten into that playoff as they not only didn't win their conference, they didn't even win their own division.

Disagree that they blew it. Bama was good enough to be the 4th best team that year. It wasn't their fault that B1G and Pac-12 champs were very weak that year. Bama winning it all only validated the committee's choice. 

Like mentioned before, conference realignment or expanding playoff to 6/8 are the only real ways to make the process more fair and balanced.

2 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Disagree that they blew it. Bama was good enough to be the 4th best team that year. It wasn't their fault that B1G and Pac-12 champs were very weak that year. Bama winning it all only validated the committee's choice. 

Like mentioned before, conference realignment or expanding playoff to 6/8 are the only real ways to make the process more fair and balanced.

It was bullshit that Bama didn't have to play the additional game -- after playing ONLY eight previous conference games. If Auburn wasn't deserving enough to go, neither was Bama AFTER losing 26-14 to Auburn the week before.

26 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'd fucking love to see Utah in the playoffs just to shake shit up. Maybe they can pull an upset, because we know for a fact ou isn't beating any of those teams. I'm not saying Utah would, either, but I'd like to see them try. It would be better than watching the same shit with ou getting back handed again. 

So would I.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

It was bullshit that Bama didn't have to play the additional game -- after playing ONLY eight previous conference games. If Auburn wasn't deserving enough to go, neither was Bama AFTER losing 26-14 to Auburn the week before.

Don’t disagree about your extra game point. That would still be an issue in an 8 team playoff. Which why conference realignment AND standardization is my preferred solution.

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'd fucking love to see Utah in the playoffs just to shake shit up. Maybe they can pull an upset, because we know for a fact ou isn't beating any of those teams. I'm not saying Utah would, either, but I'd like to see them try. It would be better than watching the same shit with ou getting back handed again. 

That's kinda my take on things too and I don't think we're alone. Let the utes play!

• Like 1

Exactly this. The fact that Georgia is even in the discussion after losing to a team not even bowl eligible, shows how biased this shit actually is. It's sickening. 

You guys seem to forget that Whisky, in addition to the Illinois loss, has a 30 point bitchslap loss as well. Whisky is 10-2, UGA is 11-1 so it isn’t just Illinois vs SCar.

OU has also made the playoffs before after losing to a team that wasn’t bowl-eligible.

7 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

You guys seem to forget that Whisky, in addition to the Illinois loss, has a 30 point bitchslap loss as well. Whisky is 10-2, UGA is 11-1 so it isn’t just Illinois vs SCar.

OU has also made the playoffs before after losing to a team that wasn’t bowl-eligible.

Illinois is at least bowl eligible 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Nope. They’d finish 12-1 after knocking off the best or second best team in the country. And beating Auburn and Florida. Plus they’d be the all-important CC. Plenty fair. 

After losing to a non-bowl qualifying team? Eh....I get where you're coming from, but I don't believe they should. If any other team outside of Bama/LSU/Georgia would have done the same, they wouldn't even be in the discussion. It's SEC bias. 

After losing to a non-bowl qualifying team? Eh....I get where you're coming from, but I don't believe they should. If any other team outside of Bama/LSU/Georgia would have done the same, they wouldn't even be in the discussion. It's SEC bias. 

I literally just posted that OU made the playoff after losing to a non-bowl eligible team which completely kills your idiotic argument. Clemson also made the playoff losing to a non-bowl eligible team. Last I checked, Clemson and Oklahoma aren’t in the SEC.

Also, S Carolina would be a touchdown fave over Illinois on a neutral field.

And then went on to win the title over the team that beat them. Committee got it right and Bama deserved to be there. For all of those that bitch about transitive properties not applying in football (and I agree), this argument is contradictory to the notion that a team that loses its CCG or finishes 11-1 but doesnt make its CCG is auto-excluded from the CFP. 

What are you talking about? Auburn beat Bama that year, not Georgia.