CFP '19-- Auburn the nexus?

Magus Ossis

55 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I literally just posted that OU made the playoff after losing to a non-bowl eligible team which completely kills your idiotic argument. Clemson also made the playoff losing to a non-bowl eligible team. Last I checked, Clemson and Oklahoma aren’t in the SEC.

Also, S Carolina would be a touchdown fave over Illinois on a neutral field.

Ok

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Back in the BCS days I always said let the BCS determine the top 8 and have a playoff. Not sure why that shit is so fucking difficult for the NCAA gimptards.

Well, for one thing the current system has the company that produces the show paying the panel members who select the participants. Using the BCS formula may not provide the matchups that produce the most revenue. It could frequently be close, but they might miss out on a few dollars going that route and you don't want to take any chances on that shit happening.

15 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I know. Here’s what I said, with additions in parentheses to clarify:

And then (Bama) went on to win the title over the team (Georgia) that beat them (Auburn). Committee got it right and Bama deserved to be there. For all of those that bitch about transitive properties not applying in football (and I agree), this argument is contradictory to the notion that a team that loses its CCG or finishes 11-1 but doesnt make its CCG is auto-excluded from the CFP. 

What's the point of having a conference championship game then? If regular season games are supposed to "matter" and all that jazz. LSU can be #1 in the playoffs with a win over Georgia -- or fall out completely if they face-plant on Saturday. Same for Ohio State. That's awesome. Conference champs should get an extra boost in consideration simply because that's the most democratic way of determining eligibility. All the disparate non-conference schedules don't matter. How did you do in conference against the same batch of teams (for the most part -- those that don't play round robins have a title game)? You've done enough to win that league? Congrats, you move on to the Final Four. Nope? Didn't even win your division? Sorry. Root for chaos.

Until we move beyond four teams, there shouldn't be more than one per conference that gets in IMO. I hate CFB pundits like Finebaum making a case for certain programs over Utah simply because it's a known commodity like Oklahoma or will create more compelling matchups, etc. That's not the committee's mission. The committee is supposed to pick the four most deserving or best teams, not create marquee TV matchups (though I'm not naive enough to think that's not part of the equation -- but it shouldn't be).

I've said it once if I've said it a million times. Give five auto berths to the P5 conference champs, take the top-rated G5 school and then leave two spots for at-large bids. Use the old BCS formula for that (if you make the formulas available to the public -- I'm looking at you Billingsley) for all I care. It's the simplest -- and fairest -- to make this as transparent as possible.

• Like 1

I just look at the irony that the committee  uses the phrase eye test. You know the same fucking eye test that has been used in ranking the AP since 1936. They have accomplished nothing more then limiting the field.

They sure as hell didn’t want a true championship either. If they did they would willingly open it up to the potential that a team that passed the eye test got beat by a 8 seed in what sports calls an upset

Exactly. It's also completely idiotic to punish LSU for losing to UGA, but you would happily let them in if they lost to Arkansas but won the SEC title game. Or punish LSU for having to play UGA while Clemson plays the 45th or so best team in the country, and tOSU plays a team they already beat by 30. 

Just take the 4 teams that best combine "best team" and "most deserving resume" and stop trying to arbitrarily impose restrictions or limitations. The NFL playoffs would be dramatically better if no NFC East team was in this year. Instead, we are going to include one and not only that, make a team that is objectively better travel on the road to play that team. 50 win NBA teams have been left out of the playoffs for sub-.500 teams. And some people want to add that element to college football, it makes no sense. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

When a 1-loss LSU team that has only lost to CFP participant, 1-loss Georgia, there is not one team below OSU, Clemson and Georgia that can outshine that resume. 

CCGs are inconsistent and are not a part of the CFP tournament insofar as they’re not an elimination or play-in game.  The goal is to put the 4 best teams out there, and a 1-loss team that lost to either USC or KSU does not exceed LSU’s resume - both from the standpoint of who they’ve beaten and who they’ve lost to. The CCG argument is over-emphasized, and I wish people would stop using it as some sole criterion. 

You know what guarantees you a spot in the NFL playoffs? Win your division. Plenty of WC teams have gone on to win the SB also. Every team that makes the NFL playoffs earn it either way.  

CFP is such a joke because every team is selected based on the "opinions" of people and money driven. Lets say Ou, Clemson, UGA, Utah and Ohio St all finish with 1 loss and conference champs. WE are still allowing the opinions of others to determine the National champion just as we have done the last 150 years. 

They need the simple criteria of win your conf or your not eligible. Put all 5 power 5 teams in. Then let a committee decide the final 3 At large teams in case of the fluke upsets in CCG and rank the 8. Nobody has a serious gripe in that scenario. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

If you have wild cards, you still are using opinion to choose the national champ. If you don't have wild cards, every OOC game is now a worthless NFL preseason game. Virginia, even if they managed to beat Clemson this weekend, has no business at all in the playoffs. 

IT happens every year in NCAA tourney.. team wins conf tourney and get a chance in the big dance. It's sports. You guys are treating this like its a math problem. 

It’s pretty dumb there too. Team goes 17-1 in a rinkydink conference, then misses the tourney because a team that went 8-10 runs hot in 40 minutes.

I think in those leagues the winner of the conf tourney should play the winner of the reg season for the bid at least. That way you earn a mulligan by being best for the entire season.

Plus, those one-bid leagues aren't taking a spot away from a team with a legit shot to win, since so many teams get into the tourney. If we are having an 8 team playoff, wasting a spot on a jabroni team like UVA really sucks. Would much rather include a Penn St, Oregon/Utah loser, OU/Baylor loser, UGA, or hell, even Memphis. 

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 1

8 team playoff this year, assuming CCGs go chalk:

1.) Ohio St vs 8.) Memphis

2.) LSU vs 7.) At large - probably Baylor since they won't want to slot Florida here.

3.) Clemson vs 6.) At large - probably Georgia since they just played LSU

4.) Utah vs 5.) OU

Next two at large candidates: Florida, Penn State

I'm a big 8-team guy in general and the bracket works out a lot better for most years, but this year four works pretty well. Just a huge gap between the top 3 and everyone else, and another pretty clear gap after 5. Renders the B12 and SEC CGs essentially meaningless.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It’s pretty dumb there too. Team goes 17-1 in a rinkydink conference, then misses the tourney because a team that went 8-10 runs hot in 40 minutes.

I think in those leagues the winner of the conf tourney should play the winner of the reg season for the bid at least. That way you earn a mulligan by being best for the entire season.

Plus, those one-bid leagues aren't taking a spot away from a team with a legit shot to win, since so many teams get into the tourney. If we are having an 8 team playoff, wasting a spot on a jabroni team like UVA really sucks. Would much rather include a Penn St, Oregon/Utah loser, OU/Baylor loser, UGA, or hell, even Memphis. 

I've hashed this out on here before in more detail but that jabroni team very rarely wins their conference. Since the formation of the B12, P5 champs are almost always ranked in the top ten entering the bowls. The majority of non top ten P5 champs were a string of a few ACC champs in the 2000s, which is a historical outlier. I think the stronger argument is that the ACC shouldn't be an auto bid league.

So 1.) This is a concern about something very rare. 2.). If UVA wins and Clemson eats an at large spot, Georgia, Baylor, Florida, or Penn State all had their chances to not lose twice. It's not the elite, consensus contender teams that get displaced in that scenario.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Absent an 8-team playoff, which isn’t on the table, I am dealing with what we have now. And having a conference champion requirement for the CFP in its current structure is fucking ridiculous. That anyone would have an issue with LSU making it if they lose to Georgia is fucking ridiculous. This seems to be limited to Surly. Nobody else has a problem with it. 

Lets say that happens..

Conf Champ UGA IN

Conf Champ Clemson IN

Conf Champ Ohio St IN

I would have Zero issue rewarding Utah or Ou/Baylor winner over LSU

1 Common opponent was UT. Ou and Baylor both won more convincingly than LSU did.  

"Baylor could never run the gauntlet LSU did"  Strictly opinion and we will never know. 

But But LSU beat Bama.... Cool and Bamas best wins all year are over Tennesse/ATM.

Earn your way in or don't complain.  Last year we heard how Uhhh Mayyy zing UGA was...They deserved to be in Final 4.  Based on what? They play in the SEC and beat up a bunch of cupcakes and played Bama "close". 

If Clemson and tosu play in the semi-finals.. Clemson is gonna "shock the world" by beating them.  Clemson looking shaky early and not playing anyone..is exactly what they want the narrative to be.  I see why LSU and tosu fans are going tit for tat on who should be ranked #1 overall.. 

53 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

tOSU is winning it all.  Mark it down.  LSU is very good, but tOSU is winning that game by 2 scores or more about 80% of the time.  

Clemson could beat Ohio State.  LSU's D will get treated like Teddy Bear Stallion in Angola by either Clemson or Ohio State.

23 hours ago, C-Man said:

What's the point of having a conference championship game then? If regular season games are supposed to "matter" and all that jazz. LSU can be #1 in the playoffs with a win over Georgia -- or fall out completely if they face-plant on Saturday. Same for Ohio State. That's awesome. Conference champs should get an extra boost in consideration simply because that's the most democratic way of determining eligibility. All the disparate non-conference schedules don't matter. How did you do in conference against the same batch of teams (for the most part -- those that don't play round robins have a title game)? You've done enough to win that league? Congrats, you move on to the Final Four. Nope? Didn't even win your division? Sorry. Root for chaos.

Until we move beyond four teams, there shouldn't be more than one per conference that gets in IMO. I hate CFB pundits like Finebaum making a case for certain programs over Utah simply because it's a known commodity like Oklahoma or will create more compelling matchups, etc. That's not the committee's mission. The committee is supposed to pick the four most deserving or best teams, not create marquee TV matchups (though I'm not naive enough to think that's not part of the equation -- but it shouldn't be).

I've said it once if I've said it a million times. Give five auto berths to the P5 conference champs, take the top-rated G5 school and then leave two spots for at-large bids. Use the old BCS formula for that (if you make the formulas available to the public -- I'm looking at you Billingsley) for all I care. It's the simplest -- and fairest -- to make this as transparent as possible.

If all conferences were equally tough then sure, this would be fine. But there are years when some conference is absolute garbage and doesn’t deserve a spot. 

43 minutes ago, JBJ said:

A lot of us were sold on the idea that CCGs were a virtual first-round.  This year sets up pretty well for that to be true.  I'd be really disappointed if anyone lost this weekend and still went.

Sold by who?  I want it to be that way, but I think the closest we've gotten to verification are "reports" that the committee favors them...  but that's it.

Go to 8: Officially Conf Champs + 3 wildcards

19 minutes ago, Loco said:

Sold by who?  I want it to be that way, but I think the closest we've gotten to verification are "reports" that the committee favors them...  but that's it.

Go to 8: Officially Conf Champs + 3 wildcards

The answer is so fucking simple.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That’s a good plan on paper (until you have middling teams win their conference like Virginia, Wisconsin or Oregon) that I could live with even with my parenthetical in this sentence. 

But again, it’s not on the damn table. We are talking about this year, and you’re advocating for Utah or OU/Baylor over LSU in a hypothetical. And you’re wrong. 

That's not exactly what I'm saying. If LSU wins, they're in. If they lose, then Georgia goes as the 1-loss champ of the most bestest conference in the history of college football (though some metrics are showing the B10 to being a better overall conference this year). The answer is we really do not know how some of these conferences would stack up until they, you know, play on the field. The rest is the dreaded "eye test" that we all complain about since nobody plays even remotely the same schedule. The conferences and CCG's should serve as the de facto first round of the playoffs. You will not convince me otherwise. I just find it very difficult to crown somebody national champ when they didn't their own conference championship or perhaps even their own division! You're going to get that when you have a 68-team field like in college hoops. It should NOT happen in a 4-team playoff situation.

I think all three of LSU, OSU, and Clemson can win / could win against the others, with LSU's defense being the biggest obvious weakness between them. 

Clemson and Ohio State probably have weaknesses but they've shown none of them. For Ohio State, maybe ball security? They lost three important fumbles against Penn State, and while that (and an extremely buttoned-up offense) was the reason it was only an 11-pt win over a Top Ten opponent instead of 42-7, JK Dobbins did drop his first handoff against Michigan the very next week. I think that kind of carelessness with the ball against either LSU or Clemson (especially Clemson) could cost them.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Agree. Clemson has to be the most underrated team on a seven-game 30-points-plus-margin-of-victory streak that I can ever remember. 

Ohio State-Clemson is a coinflip for me right now. It will depend on how healthy Ohio State is. 

When the first rankings came out and Clemson was 5, I felt sorry for their opponents. Both OSU and LSU need to win big to get that 1 spot.

On December 4, 2019 at 8:44 PM, El Diablo said:

Well, for one thing the current system has the company that produces the show paying the panel members who select the participants. Using the BCS formula may not provide the matchups that produce the most revenue. It could frequently be close, but they might miss out on a few dollars going that route and you don't want to take any chances on that shit happening.

The CFP selection committee members aren't paid. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

In response to your long-winded post, I just have to say I like you as a poster but wish you weren’t such a contrarian fucktard.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Or rather, I love you but have decided to use your mouth as a toilet. 

spacer.png

Baylor has 0% chance of beating OU. Zero. I hope I’m wrong. Utah will get beat, OU will make it in, Hurts will go to NY and maybe even win the Heisman, and one of our prized recruits will flip to those fuckers. Why do I think this? Because OU gets every damn break when it comes to us. 

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

Baylor has 0% chance of beating OU. Zero. I hope I’m wrong. Utah will get beat, OU will make it in, Hurts will go to NY and maybe even win the Heisman, and one of our prized recruits will flip to those fuckers. Why do I think this? Because OU gets every damn break when it comes to us. 

Baylor has better chance of making it look more like the first half than OU has making it look like the comeback.   

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

There’s no chance in hell anyone but Burrow wins the heisman.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigcigar said:

There’s no chance in hell anyone but Burrow wins the heisman.

Oh there's a chance...it's tiny.  But  if he comes out and really struggles (pick 6's fumbles etc...) vs Gawga and gets pulled in the 3rd ...then there is a chance.  TBH I don't even know who number 2 is currently.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:55 AM, Dr. Beeper said:

When a 1-loss LSU team that has only lost to CFP participant, 1-loss Georgia, there is not one team below OSU, Clemson and Georgia that can outshine that resume. 

So in this scenario LSU isn't as good as a team already in the cfp and they shouldn't be in. We don't know if Oklahoma is or not, but we know LSU isn't. LSU is legit, no doubt, but we are also going off of their dominance against secsecsec teams that are perennially overrated. Oklahoma handled Texas better than LSU did. There should never be the possibility of an immediate rematch. That's garbage. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 11:26 AM, sidis said:

re: ou, they lost to a very mediocre kstate team and needed a no-call pass interference to beat iowa state at home.  their current most quality win is texas who is mediocre.  they screwed the pooch by going chickenshit with the ooc schedule.  baylor will not result in a big boost.

now, my take on georgia is almost the same.  they have 1.25 quality wins between florida and notre but their loss to south carolina is worse than losing to kstate imo.  but uga will take care of itself in the sec ccg.  i suspect they could lose to auburn this weekend (a game i am going to).

bama has no quality wins (yet) either with their best being tamu by a long shot.  their one loss is to the second best team in the country though, not shitty ass south carolina or mediocre kstate. 

dude, penn state isn't that good.  no way.  they're done either way after next week's matchup with ohio state anyway.  utah's loss is about like ou's.  usc isn't great but they aren't south carolina shitty either.  if they win out and beat oregon, they deserve the nod over ou imo but no way they will beat out tide in that vote.  oregon is the interesting one.  heartbreaker against auburn opening week.  they get credit from me for playing a real non-conf game.  they haven't crushed teams they should have though.  they're a bit of an odd team.  bama-auburn outcome will be directly compared despite being 14 weeks apart.  i predict the playoff will be:

lsu, ohio state, clemson with oregon/utah winner, ou, and bama all throwing their respective shit fits as to why they belong there.  because the college football gods hate me, it will somehow work out that ou makes it in.  but they aren't in a strong position to make that argument against those other teams.

Like I said...