73 members have voted

1. 1. Surly AL MVP

• Alex Bregman
    • DJ LaMahieu
    • Marcus Semien
    • Mike Trout
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/19 at 02:12 AM

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

True - FG does have a clutch stat...not sure exactly how it is calculated but if you go to the "Win Probability" section of the player page you'll see it listed. It is defined as "how much better or worse a player does in high leverage situations than in a context-neutral situation." 

B-R may have one too. 

Interesting.  They are both negative this year in clutch.  Bregman is -1.17.  Trout is -1.29.  Trout was -2.30 in 2018.  In fact, he is negative every year of his career except 2011 and 2014.  In 2014, he was 1.71, and that is also the only year that Trout's Angels have ever made the playoffs.  There may be something to the stat.  

Ideally, I suppose it would be best to have consistently strong numbers while performing slightly stronger than 0 in high leverage situations.  LeMahieu is at .34.  He may actually be the most deserving of MVP this year. 

Also interesting, Tyler White's batting and pitching WAR are both -.3.  He accomplished that with only 3 innings pitched.  He was actually losing WAR in real time.

Classic example of the debate about whether MVP should be for most outstanding player in the league or most important player on a contender.

If it's the former, it's pretty clearly Trout.  He was on pace for 55+ homers, 125+ RBI, and 125+ runs with a .291 avg and about 14 SB, and he plays excellent defense at one of the most important positions.

If it's the latter, it's pretty clearly Bregman.  The Astros won the league by 4 games and he had the most outstanding season on the team.

I'm an Astros fan, and I voted Trout.  He is hands down the best player of this generation and he'll go down as one of the top three center fielders of all time.  People argue that his accomplishments are diminished because he's on a mediocre team; I say they're even more impressive because you can often pitch around Trout and you can't often pitch around Bregs.  Trout should get this one.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 7:15 PM, henrygandorf said:

jesus man, your anti-astros bias is showing.

i agree nobody single-handedly "carried" the astros. 

I mean this sincerely -- It's a gotdam shame that hanging out in a thread regularly populated by Nobis, Iconoclast and Fudge has been such a suck on your IQ, because you used to be one of the most reasonable Astros fans.   

1.  That post is pretty much the the internet equivalent of the of the aggy police officer grabbing the SMU cheerleader instead of the aggy wielding a sword on the field.  

2.  I root for the Astros regularly.  If this score tonight holds up, I'll root for the Astros to make the WS.  I love Bergman.  But you and your now ilk now read anything critical of the Astros as "anti-astros bias."  I'm biased against one thing in these threads -- posters deciding what answer they want and then scrounging for data to support this opinion (or flat-out making up a narrative to support that opinion like FR did).  That's why Derka and I always butted heads when he started posting in the baseball thread back in his BP days.  

• Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I mean this sincerely -- It's a gotdam shame that hanging out in a thread regularly populated by Nobis, Iconoclast and Fudge has been such a suck on your IQ, because you used to be one of the most reasonable Astros fans.   

1.  That post is pretty much the the internet equivalent of the of the aggy police officer grabbing the SMU cheerleader instead of the aggy wielding a sword on the field.  

2.  I root for the Astros regularly.  If this score tonight holds up, I'll root for the Astros to make the WS.  I love Bergman.  But you and your now ilk now read anything critical of the Astros as "anti-astros bias."  I'm biased against one thing in these threads -- posters deciding what answer they want and then scrounging for data to support this opinion (or flat-out making up a narrative to support that opinion like FR did).  That's why Derka and I always butted heads when he started posting in the baseball thread back in his BP days.  

um, ok?

i agreed with what you said but questioned the overreaction evident by your punctuation and now i’m one of the bad ones?

smart move lumping me in with 3 guys who spend very little time on the astros thread (and an old aggy meme) instead of actually, you know, breaking down my argument. 

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah I negged you.  Go ahead and cry about it like you always do, cunt.

• Like 1

You’re a fucking idiot. And all your posts in this thread turned it into what you’d thought it would be. Shut the fuck up old man.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

um, ok?

i agreed with what you said but questioned the overreaction evident by your punctuation and now i’m one of the bad ones?

smart move lumping me in with 3 guys who spend very little time on the astros thread (and an old aggy meme) instead of actually, you know, breaking down my argument. 

You made zero argument.  "jesus man, your anti-astros bias is showing" is not an argument.  I don't even have a clue what punctuation you're hung up on.  Is it verboten to quote someone directly for some reason?  

7 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Ignore the dumbass. I sincerely don’t know how this retard thinks he’s the moderator of the MLB baseball threads.

Since I'll be rooting for the Astros next round, I'm going to come post in the Astros thread just to give you and your butt buddy fudge a serious case of the fantods.  

• Fuck You 1

On 10/1/2019 at 4:47 PM, Beau Vine said:

What.  In.  The.  Fuck???!?!?

you're right.  this is totally normal behavior for a non-junior high girl.

i also had two paragraphs after that vicious attack on your grammar choices, but i can only assume you were so rightfully outraged that you turned your computer off and hit the heavy bag in the garage. 

Smoked some indicouch, so I'm much more chill now.  Might also have an epic post in the WIves and the Stupid Shit They Do thread soon.  Sorry for the threadshit and apologies to HG --- you're not a shitty poster like Nobis and Fudge.  Go Astros and go Cardinals!

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

My vote was Bregman because the WAR values are too close to call (people trying to act like 0.1 WAR is a meaningful difference make me laugh) and Bregman was there for his team the entire season. Baseball players deal with injuries small and big all season long. Bregman dealt with those and played the entire season. Trout took the last month off. If they were in a pennant race there's a decent chance he plays the whole month and his rate stats suffer because of it.

In a race this close small differences matter. Throw in the positional change for Bregman for the team and it's enough to give him a vote.

I still haven't seen a good argument for why Trout is clearly more deserving than Bregman for the 2019 AL MVP. He missed basically a month. That matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Not MVP but....Players selected Rafael Devers, Alex Bregman and Mike Trout as finalists in the American League and Christian Yelich, Cody Bellinger and Anthony Rendon in the National League in voting for Outstanding Player honors in the 2019 Players Choice Awards.