Mac Thornberry - You're our 6th Contestant on "Republican Reps Bailing on Texas"

atomheartbevo

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/politics/mac-thornberry-retires-texas-republican/index.html

Rep. Mac Thornberry on Monday became the sixth Texas Republican to announce plans to head for the exits of Capitol Hill, saying in a statement that he will not seek reelection in 2020.

"It has been a great honor to serve the people of the 13th District of Texas as their congressman for the last 25 years," he wrote. "We are reminded, however, that 'for everything there is a season,' and I believe that the time has come for a change. Therefore, this is my last term in the U.S. House of Representatives."

Thornberry, the top Republican on the House Armed Services Committee, has served in Congress since he was first elected in 1994. Texas's 13th congressional district is considered a safe Republican seat: In 2018, Thornberry won reelection by nearly 65 points.

He's 61.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think he's termed out as top Republican on the committee.  If you don't even have that AND you're not in a majority, what's the fucking point?

FTR, Republican caucus rules only allow you to serve 6 years as ranking member/chair.  2020 is his 6th year either as chair (2015-2018) or ranking minority member (2019-2020). 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think he's termed out as top Republican on the committee.  If you don't even have that AND you're not in a majority, what's the fucking point?

FTR, Republican caucus rules only allow you to serve 6 years as ranking member/chair.  2020 is his 6th year either as chair (2015-2018) or ranking minority member (2019-2020). 

He is termed out, and he's relatively young (for a politician).  Rather than hang around without any power, I could see him jumping over to a state office.  Or making a fuckton of money lobbying.

This district is about as red as it gets. 

Comment from over at the Great Orange Satan on the announcement 

I’m a yellow-dog Dem and the Amarillo (Potter/Randall County) GOP regularly invites ME to its events and fundraisers. Why? I dunno. 

But there’s no Dem willing to run in that district, or in mine (TX 19) so far. 

We’ve sent great candidates forward before only to see them hammered. Our people — this is the district that thought George W. Bush was too liberal — are starting to wonder whether there is any hope.