Mark Milley named Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Iceman

milleyswearingin1800.jpeg.jpg?itok=Bfh8S

Mark Milley, an  Army leader for whom I  have tremendous respect was named Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff today.

While on one hand, I am very pleased that they chose such an honorable ass-kicker; I also hope he does not end up at a crossroads with the President like Mattis did.  Godspeed to him and may his experience and leadership play into influencing the powers-that-be in the right direction, even if only on military matters.

CSB: I got to hear him speak at a banquet the night before graduation at West Point in 2017. All of the graduating cadets and their guests were gathered in the main dining hall( Washington Hall, for those who know) and it was very celebratory, but also respectful of the gravity of the moment.  It is announced that Milley will be entering the dining hall and a hush fell across the room. Everyone stood up, all quiet and proper-like.  He gets about 20 paces in and bellows, "I thought this was a party.  What the hell's going on here?"  Everyone erupted in salutations and cheers.

Dude gave a speech like you would expect, and by the end I was ready to run through brick walls..eh..I get it, that's what he's supposed to do.  but the substance behind his command is what stuck with me.  He gets things done for his folks, so much so, that now he's in charge of the entire military.

I pray he is able to make a positive difference, for what it's worth, regardless of politics.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is he the first Green Beret to hold that job?   I doubt it,but he’s got a helluva career.  He won’t be Trump’s yes-man.  

Hugh Shelton, CJCoS 1997-2001 served 2 tours in Vietnam with 5th Special Forces.

Unless I missed someone, Milley is the 2nd Green Beret to serve as CJCoS.

Edited by Iceman