Amarillo for 24 hours

Saint Austin

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

https://yellowcitystreetfood.com/

I've heard from folks that this place is good.  A little different than what would normally be expected in Amarillo.

Confirmed.  Run by Amarillo hipsters.

If you want BBQ, go to Tyler's.  YCSF and Tyler's are within a quarter mile or so of each other.

Edit: Tyler's just moved or is moving this week to 3301 Olsen, which used to be a K-Bob's or someshit.  They had a giant metal cow on a trailer in the parking lot that the hobos used to piss on.

Edited by SizzleChest

Six Car does make good beer.  Moondoggy is across the street (on Polk) and has pretty good deep dish pizza.   OMS is also right there in downtown and has very good food. 

I am in Amarillo about once a month for work and have yet to go to the Big Texan.  Absolutely not interested. 

• 2 years later...

The wife and I are meeting my daughter and her husband at an airbnb between Canyon and Amarillo for a week in late March. Gonna be there by morning. The plan is to spend the days hiking various Palo Duro trails and then cooking meals at the house unless there are any must-see places in the area. This thread is pretty old so I'm hoping there might be some updated info for food and drink. @Nicole44 you know this area, right?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey

Tyler’s Barbecue

sixcar pub

Georgia Street Taphouse

Macaroni Joe’s is decent Italian

I like Tacos Garcia/ Jorges on Ross, But you can likely get better texmex almost anywhere else in the state

go see the Cadillacs just west of town on I 40. It’s free. Graffiti is encouraged!

go down to Lubbock and see some real basketball!

28 minutes ago, slorch said:

Tyler’s Barbecue

sixcar pub

Georgia Street Taphouse

Macaroni Joe’s is decent Italian

I like Tacos Garcia/ Jorges on Ross, But you can likely get better texmex almost anywhere else in the state

go see the Cadillacs just west of town on I 40. It’s free. Graffiti is encouraged!

go down to Lubbock and see some real basketball!

I've seen the Cadillacs. Odd for sure.

If Tech is still playing in late March I doubt that I would be able to get a ticket. TT is one of the programs I root for because they were never afraid to schedule WSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

The wife and I are meeting my daughter and her husband at an airbnb between Canyon and Amarillo for a week in late March. Gonna be there by morning. The plan is to spend the days hiking various Palo Duro trails and then cooking meals at the house unless there are any must-see places in the area. This thread is pretty old so I'm hoping there might be some updated info for food and drink. [mention=1234]Nicole44[/mention] you know this area, right?
Thanks for any help.

I thought you lost your wife somewhere along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Golden Light for a great burger and fries with ice cold beer. Oldest running restaurant in town, been going for probably 60+ years. It’s on Rt. 66. They have live music on the weekends at the Cantina next door. Steaks and seafood, hit up OHMS downtown. 

• Like 1

My list begins with Lone Star Bar & Grill and ends with Big Texan. In that order.

Lone Star is about as authentic legit old school Texas roadhouse in the middle of nowhere as it gets. Been there for like 30 years and is everything that's great about Texas.

Big Texan (as mentioned up thread) is iconic must do once in your life as a Texan.

Most of the places mentioned you can get some version of in just about any city in America. Lone Star and Big Texan are both special, albeit for different reasons.

Thank me later.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Metropolitan is a neat restaurant, get the bourbon cobbler if you like bourbon. It’s pretty unique and worth trying.

Lone Star is another great place, it’s between Amarillo and PDC.  If you are seriously considering the Metro or OHMS, make reservations. We always sit in the bar at those two places but we get there early enough that getting a seat isn’t an issue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We just got back from a trip to Palo Duro. We went up to Amarillo yesterday and The Big Texan was awesome. I loved everything about that place. From the shooting gallery to taxidermy on the walls to the roaming country singers. We only had 2 contestants try to eat the 72oz steak. Both failed. As we were leaving, this big ol' boy that was probably pushing 3 bills was about to give it a shot. I got the Porterhouse T-Bone which was pretty good. Would definitely recommend this place. The old Route 66 area just was depressing. The murals downtown were cool. Loved seeing the old Santa Fe station. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 1:03 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

That's why I'm doing a layover in Turpin,OK Thursday evening. Not just a hatrack, Slorch.

Gonna be pretty this afternoon and Saturday.  Hope you have a great time.