$95K Internship - Found Mayor Turner's Side Piece

hopkinsnhorns

was there anyone other than a party loyalist who didn't know he was corrupt?  I actually think he does an okay job, but I never had any illusions he wasn't as dirty as it gets going back to his city council days.  he's virtually a living caricature of a city politician from the wire.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Half of me is disgusted that Turner is just another politician doing shady politician things. The other half of me wonders why I should care more about Turner than I do about our president putting his unqualified children into positions on his staff, and his personal lawyer and other staff members having sons with White House positions. Shit apparently Biden's son is making millions in Ukranian real estate or whatever tf. If you're connected, you're connected. And the country churns on.

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

was there anyone other than a party loyalist who didn't know he was corrupt?  I actually think he does an okay job, but I never had any illusions he wasn't as dirty as it gets going back to his city council days.  he's virtually a living caricature of a city politician from the wire.  

spacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

I am a Republican but think Turner has done a good job during Harvey and helping get the city pension situation under control after Lee Brown fucked the city over. Turner is gay?

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

39 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I am a Republican but think Turner has done a good job during Harvey and helping get the city pension situation under control after Lee Brown fucked the city over. Turner is gay?

I have no idea, nor do I care if he is or is not.  I know he's certainly corrupt, and also think he has done a fairly decent job given he was handed a pretty rough situation with the pensions.  like most things though, he is beholden to bad ideology.  If he really wanted to do the city a solid he'd break the public sector unions and really re-do, cancel out those absurd pensions rather than a band aid.  he won't do that, and I understand why.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

The other half of me wonders why I should care more about Turner than I do about our president putting his unqualified children into positions on his staff

Isn't the whole point that the mayor is abusing taxpayer money to pay this person? Trump donates his salary to charity, I doubt his rich-ass kids are getting paid. They don't need the money, either. If they don't get my or your money, who gives a shit? 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

This is the 2nd hit piece on Turner done by KPRC in the last few months.  Does Buzbee have a connection there? 

And why would I give a shit about this when Buzbee has a.) admitted he doesn't need to be mayor and b.) is a Trumplican?   And yes, when Buzbee's team called me last night to do a survey, I told them exactly that. 

Turner has done a fine job especially after Harvey like others have said.  I don't give 2 shits about this money for an intern when what Trump has done/is doing is a much bigger issue. 

Hit piece?  That you don't give a shit because someone else "started it" makes you sound like a little homer bitch.  Dude deserves what he gets.  And yes, i to thought he was doing a decent jobs in many other things.  He got caught, he should own it and face the consequences.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I don't live in Houston but from what I have read the airport fund is a huge boondoggle. This salary is a drop in the bucket. I think that fund is way bigger than just turner

Dallas is little better.  Large bureaucracies with little to no oversight.  Siphoning off untold amounts of money.   

Turner response:

"As shown in this key memo , the Houston Airport System Executive Internship Program was created by Director Mario Diaz to attract new talent in the field of aviation and to serve as an entry to the Management Training Program. The establishment of the program is within the discretion and authority of the Department Director.  Please see the attached memo by Director Diaz and Administrative Procedure 3-5 7.1.2 .

"The approval sought from the administration was to approve the re-classification of the position and waiver of posting. This personnel action was done in accordance with the City of Houston’s Administrative policy. The process is routine, and I have signed 122 of these reclassifications for each of the 23 city departments since taking office in January 2016.

"The official job title for the Executive Intern is Senior Staff Analyst (Executive Level) with a pay grade of 28. The Department Director chose the job title and pay grade and the Human Resource Department determined both were consistent with the specified duties and responsibilities of the position.

"For reference, there are a total of 94 Senior Staff Analysts positions in the City of Houston, of which 15 are at the Executive Level. The current salary range for Senior Staff Analysts is $74,256 - $131,325.

"Mr. Marvin Agumagu’s salary is commensurate with his education and experience. He has three (3) advanced degrees, including a bachelor’s degree, Master’s Degree and a law degree. He also has experience in international relations and governmental affairs which is an asset for the City of Houston’s 5-star international airports.

"The City of Houston is proud of our record on recruiting, hiring and retaining qualified individuals. We are especially proud of our intentional outreach to attract millennials who bring innovative ideas and energy to our workforce. As we compete with the private sector for qualified employees willing to learn and excel, we are amazed at our good fortune to attract such talented young men and women committed to a life of public service.

"Regarding my statement about Mr. Agumagu, I do know Marvin and, quite candidly the reporter’s question caught me off guard as I was rushing to another scheduled city event after leaving the Houston Police Department's cadet graduation."

https://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/mayor-turner-responds-to-kprc-2-investigation-on-intern-being-paid-nearly-100k-annually

Earlier this year I was flying home to Houston from Chicago and Mayor Turner and his entourage were on the flight.  There were 8 of them, and counting, all in business class.  UA gate lady asked if I would give up my BC seat to make room for more in the party.  Offered me $300 voucher....nope...

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Why doesn't Austin have investigative journalists like this on our local TV stations.  I would imagine that they would have a FIELD DAY and ratings would go through the roof!

They could’ve started with APD Chief Art Acevedo’s wife getting a $100,000/year position with Travis County, then they could look at MayorAdler’s wife’s real estate connections benefiting from the proposed “homeless shelters” being purchased by the city at near triple market prices.

18 minutes ago, gecko said:

Earlier this year I was flying home to Houston from Chicago and Mayor Turner and his entourage were on the flight.  There were 8 of them, and counting, all in business class.  UA gate lady asked if I would give up my BC seat to make room for more in the party.  Offered me $300 voucher....nope...

At least they didn’t charter a private Netjet.

16 hours ago, Pancho said:

This is the 2nd hit piece on Turner done by KPRC in the last few months.  Does Buzbee have a connection there? 

And why would I give a shit about this when Buzbee has a.) admitted he doesn't need to be mayor and b.) is a Trumplican?   And yes, when Buzbee's team called me last night to do a survey, I told them exactly that. 

Turner has done a fine job especially after Harvey like others have said.  I don't give 2 shits about this money for an intern when what Trump has done/is doing is a much bigger issue. 

corruption in politics is huge issue locally and nationally no matter which "team" has power or which one you're on.  Principles matter, and things will never get better until people stand and vote on principles regardless of party.  

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

I don't even understand why party politics is ever introduced at the local level.  I mean I understand it's done just because most of the voters don't care about anything except what letter is next to your name, but it should be outlawed at the local level.  The mayor's race should be about fixing potholes, controlling the annual floods, making sure that not too many citizens are executed by law enforcement, and trying to ensure that city government is not any more incompetent than absolutely necessary.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Xian said:

I wish there was a rule where everyone running for public office had to go undergo Rigorous background check with the results made public. 

Tired of constant corruption at every level. On both Sides. 

Or just an IQ test

20 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

was there anyone other than a party loyalist who didn't know he was corrupt?  I actually think he does an okay job, but I never had any illusions he wasn't as dirty as it gets going back to his city council days. ...

Yep.  I'm actually surprised that a bigger scandal hasn't been exposed yet.  I fully expect more to come.

21 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't even understand why party politics is ever introduced at the local level.  I mean I understand it's done just because most of the voters don't care about anything except what letter is next to your name, but it should be outlawed at the local level.  The mayor's race should be about fixing potholes, controlling the annual floods, making sure that not too many citizens are executed by law enforcement, and trying to ensure that city government is not any more incompetent than absolutely necessary.

There are no party identifications on the ballot for Houston mayor. It is literally just 12 names listed under MAYOR

29 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There are no party identifications on the ballot for Houston mayor. It is literally just 12 names listed under MAYOR

This is correct, but NMAS's point is also correct. One of the big issues in American politics is that the same political parties exist for local as national office. It offers no benefits to society (only to help candidates collect money) but has plenty of harmful effects.

Favoritism in local politics? I can't believe it.

I don't personally worry about a mayor steering someone towards a 100K job as city hall is full of those jobs. I've known people that have those jobs that last until the next mayor appoints your replacement. you earn a decent salary with a good title, then you move on.  And if Buzbee or King win the election, they will fill those roles with their people as well.   

I agree it's eye-rolling that this job was created during a hiring freeze at the city level. However if the freeze hadn't been in place, this guy probably would have quietly gotten another job in city hall.

as far as this guy being in some personal relationship with Turner,  who knows. Maybe Turner is gay or maybe he isn't. Who cares. 

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Favoritism in local politics? I can't believe it.

I don't personally worry about a mayor steering someone towards a 100K job as city hall is full of those jobs. I've known people that have those jobs that last until the next mayor appoints your replacement. you earn a decent salary with a good title, then you move on.  And if Buzbee or King win the election, they will fill those roles with their people as well.   

I agree it's eye-rolling that this job was created during a hiring freeze at the city level. However if the freeze hadn't been in place, this guy probably would have quietly gotten another job in city hall.

as far as this guy being in some personal relationship with Turner,  who knows. Maybe Turner is gay or maybe he isn't. Who cares. 

The funds for this job were paid for by the enterprise fund, so not subject to the hiring freeze.  Optics look bad until you drill a little depper.

The gay smears are really low though.  Of course that is what Buzbee and crew are implying.  He's "corrupt" and he's MAYBE A HOMOSEXUAL! 

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The funds for this job were paid for by the enterprise fund, so not subject to the hiring freeze.  Optics look bad until you drill a little depper.

The gay smears are really low though.  Of course that is what Buzbee and crew are implying.  He's "corrupt" and he's MAYBE A HOMOSEXUAL! 

When I first saw this story on facebook, the implication was that Turner was diverting flood prevention money to pay his boyfriend.  And as you pointed out, the money came from another fund that is technically outside of the city funds but somehow controlled by the city even if indirectly.

The optics are bad no matter what but it's effectively city business as usual. The internship wasn't created and then this guy applied for it, and received it.  It was the other way around. It was created specifically for this guy and presumably no one else knew about it much less had a chance to apply.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

houston's elections are non-partisan. 

we once had a mayoral election with the following candidates: a white, trust funder architect; a white lesbian accountant; and a former black panther turned corporate lawyer.  which was the republican?

Spoiler

trick question, the republican was the cuban county treasurer

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you think Houston's mayoral elections are nonpartisan then you haven't watched many of the candidate's ads. 

i don't watch much tv, so that's true.  what i've seen is mostly trying to tie buzbee to trump.   i don't recall much partisan anything in prior elections, though maybe that's because there's hasn't been a serious republican candidate. 

36 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i don't watch much tv, so that's true.  what i've seen is mostly trying to tie buzbee to trump.   i don't recall much partisan anything in prior elections, though maybe that's because there's hasn't been a serious republican candidate. 

The real play is tying Buzbee to aggy.  The aggy in Spring/Cypress/The Woodlands can't vote for him. 

20 hours ago, Xian said:

I wish there was a rule where everyone running for public office had to go undergo Rigorous background check with the results made public. 

Tired of constant corruption at every level. On both Sides. 

I can get behind this. All candidates are rigorously investigated by something like "The Office of the Devil's Advocate".

Edit: similar to what the Catholic Church does before bestowing sainthood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate

During the canonization process employed by the Roman Catholic Church, the Promoter of the Faith (Latin: promotor fidei), popularly known as the Devil's advocate (Latin: advocatus diaboli), was a canon lawyer appointed by Church authorities to argue against the canonization of a candidate.[3] It was this person’s job to take a skeptical view of the candidate's character, to look for holes in the evidence, to argue that any miracles attributed to the candidate were fraudulent, and so on.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

I looked up the "Intern" on LinkedIn. Graduated TX State with a Bachelors (2010) and Masters (2013).TSU Law School (2018). He's been working for the City of Houston for ~4 years after clerking for Sheila Jackson Lee, the TX Attorney General's Office, and being a Paralegal. 

Based on the word "Intern" I thought this was a 19 year old side piece - not a fucking 31 year old lawyer who's got a good amount of government experience by working his way up. 

$95,000/yr for this guy is a fucking steal. KPRC and Buzbee are trash. Straight out of the Dotard's playbook tho, so it'll probably be effective. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

I looked up the "Intern" on LinkedIn. Graduated TX State with a Bachelors (2010) and Masters (2013).TSU Law School (2018). He's been working for the City of Houston for ~4 years after clerking for Sheila Jackson Lee, the TX Attorney General's Office, and being a Paralegal. 

Based on the word "Intern" I thought this was a 19 year old side piece - not a fucking 31 year old lawyer who's got a good amount of government experience by working his way up. 

$95,000/yr for this guy is a fucking steal. KPRC and Buzbee are trash. Straight out of the Dotard's playbook tho, so it'll probably be effective. 

Lol, so the politics are more important to you than the facts?  Forget KPRC, Buzbee, the politics, your justification of the "intern" (their words), no one cares over here.  I just have one question.  If Turner did nothing wrong why did he deny knowing the dude, who worked on his staff, and then later admit he in fact knew him?  Imo, it's cronyism and he's trying to hide it. 

Look no one is naive to think it doesn't happen everywhere.   Your post which blames others while trying to justify wrong deeds gets no respect in my book.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

the guy rolled with Sheila Jackson lee and you see that as a positive, but KPRC and Buzbee are trash?  Dear lord.  Buzbee may be trash, but you're clearly part of the "party before anything" morons if you think working for or associating with the likes of SJL is anything other than terrible.  

and you're part of the all dems are gun-taking socialists club. glad we cleared that up.

also - the TX Attorney General's office. dude worked for Ken Paxton (R). so, yeah. let's throw your bullshit narrative out the window.

40 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

the guy rolled with Sheila Jackson lee and you see that as a positive, but KPRC and Buzbee are trash?  Dear lord.  Buzbee may be trash, but you're clearly part of the "party before anything" morons if you think working for or associating with the likes of SJL is anything other than terrible.  

So if he worked for Dan Crenshaw, it would be different?

Congressional experience is Congressional experience.  They do the same basic constituent services shit, policy study and briefs, etc. despite whoever the congressperson is. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

If Turner did nothing wrong why did he deny knowing the dude, who worked on his staff, and then later admit he in fact knew him?  

because it's effective. dude's playing politics just like Buzbee. it's a non-fucking-story and he's playing it how he sees fit. 

if you want to throw every politician who's ever said "I misspoke/misremembered" in jail, let's start with the ones who do it under oath. I'll be right there with you.