Van Halen is finished per DLR

Moby Ric

10 hours ago, Topper13 said:

Totally different band. VH with Roth were the quintessential American Rock n' Roll band. 

Yeah, I saw them on their first headlining tour (VH II) and to this day I'd say it was one of the top 3 shows I've ever seen.  DLR was an extraordinary front man, and Eddie . . . well, you know.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2019 at 12:48 PM, tbone_ said:

I probably wouldn’t go see them again with DLR. he was horrible when I saw them a few years ago. But I’d go see them with Sammy.

Had the same experience, and feel the same way.  Seen them with both.  Hagar is way better live than Roth ever was.  Saw Hagar a couple months ago live and he still puts on a Hell of a show.  I will be in Vegas when DLR is doing some of his solo shows.  I wouldn't go if the tickets were free.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:53 AM, CooterBrown said:

They've been finished since 1984.

VH3 was the real death knell. I'm glad they did the DLR rerun, enjoyed the ghastly underrated A Different Kind of Truth, but the writing's been on the wall for decades, now.

I generally know better than to take anything entertainment press says at face value*, but this just confirms what all available evidence had already pointed at.

* Typical hot story:

1. Somebody says something.

2. Some blog misquotes what was said to make a more click-worthy title, with the correct information in the article.

3. A bunch of other blogs write puff pieces on the title of the blog on step 2, as if it were the truth.

4. Mainstream press picks up the story, gets quotes from related individual

5. The person in step 1 finally "clarifies" what was said in step 1. That's how it's reported, anyway; what he/she actually says is, "What the fuck are you talking about? That's not what I said!" 

6. Repeat from step 2 with blogs calling the above a "retraction."

Great example of this was a MASSIVE hubbub about remaking The Princess Bride. It wasn't going to happen, no one said it was going to happen, but someone reported that it was once discussed and the whole avalanche got going.

But pretty much ALL Van Halen news in the past half decade has followed this pattern... including this story.

Edited by Rimbo

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen on the internet, and I lurk texags.

Well. I don't mean to argue. But if you're talking about singing on key, hitting all the notes, and keeping proper time? Sam's got the edge.

You talking about rock and roll, though? DLR, all the way.

15 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Man I love a good Sammy / Dave debate.

My scaling of VH with various vocalists and related bands.  Fight me.

Van Halen > Montrose > Sammy Hagar > Van Hagar > Chickenfoot > The Circle > Diamond Dave >>> Van Extreme

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

My scaling of VH with various vocalists and related bands.  Fight me.

Van Halen > Montrose > Sammy Hagar > Van Hagar > Chickenfoot > The Circle > Diamond Dave >>> Van Extreme

I've seen the following acts live:

VH (1979)

Sammy Hagar (1980)

Diamond Dave (1986)

I'd move DLR up your list, probably just after Sammy Hagar solo.  Dave's band was smokin' (Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan, Gregg Bissonette).

They got too damn soft with Hagar. I don't think it was Hagar's fault since it's been known Eddie gets what Eddie wants or no one does. He wanted to start playing that damn synthesizer and once the put out that horrendous "some kind of alien..." song I was OUT. There were a few songs I liked with Hagar: good enough, summer nights, poundcake, seventh seal, and amsterdam. But that's about it. 

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eddie's always been amazing on guitar.  It was his keyboard "wizardry" that helped bring the band down, in my opinion.

Yeah it really brought down the band.  After Roth departed and VH having the huge success from 1984, their biggest selling album of all time, (which the main track Jump is all keyboards) they replaced the singer went on to have every album after that go to #1 until Sammy's departure.  5150 was Van Halen's first #1 album ever.  Balance was the last ever.

2 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Yeah it really brought down the band.  After Roth departed and VH having the huge success from 1984, their biggest selling album of all time, (which the main track Jump is all keyboards) they replaced the singer went on to have every album after that go to #1 until Sammy's departure.  5150 was Van Halen's first #1 album ever.  Balance was the last ever.

A very compelling argument, if not for one thing -- all that music sucked.

Really, sales data?  Whitney Houston bookended Van Halen's "5150" with two albums that averaged ~ 5X 5150's sales, each.  I'm not going to use those data to say her albums were 5X better.

Obviously, I wasn't referring to commercial failure.  See "all that music sucked".

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

A very compelling argument, if not for one thing -- all that music sucked.

Really, sales data?  Whitney Houston bookended Van Halen's "5150" with two albums that averaged ~ 5X 5150's sales, each.  I'm not going to use those data to say her albums were 5X better.

Obviously, I wasn't referring to commercial failure.  See "all that music sucked".

Four #1 albums in a row and and all that music sucked?  America says different.  But then again you hate America.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Lulz.  Triggered!!!!!

I have little doubt hardly anybody here cares about my opinions on Van Hagar.

I have zero doubt anyone wants CR shit dragged into this forum.  It's also prohibited, and your particular statement was way out of line, regardless.

Now, here's some footage of David Lee Roth sucking live, approximately two weeks before the release of the band's debut album (scroll back, I can't get it to start at the top):

Edited by jimmyjazz

On 10/1/2019 at 2:40 PM, Moby Ric said:

First Rush calls it quits now Van Halen seems like they are done too.  Rumors around that Eddie has some real health issues, but those are just rumors.  

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/david-lee-roth-van-halen-is-finished/

they were finished 20 years ago.  

Edited by pepper brooks

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have little doubt hardly anybody here cares about my opinions on Van Hagar.

I have zero doubt anyone wants CR shit dragged into this forum.  It's also prohibited, and your particular statement was way out of line, regardless.

Now, here's some footage of David Lee Roth sucking live, approximately two weeks before the release of the band's debut album (scroll back, I can't get it to start at the top):

giphy.gif

• Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, Hate said:

The difference is that Sammy is a musician and DLR is an entertainer.

DLR was so much more than that, though. He was their mascot, their soul. Their marketer. Their early manager. He constructed the vision for what the band would be. He picked them up when they were down. He was often the only sober one, and sober often. An actual genius trapped in a rockstar dream.

Having read a lot of work documenting their early years, it isn't an exaggeration to say that without DLR, none of us would've ever heard of Eddie Van Halen. There would've been rumors of this Dutch kid in Pasadena who could light the guitar on fire without it ever being burned, maybe an influence on some other band a decade after. But without DLR... there's no Van Halen. Not because of what he did on the stage, but what he did off of it.

We never saw the most brilliant things he did. We saw the results.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 2