Van Halen is finished per DLR

Moby Ric

8 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

That was from a little less than 5 years ago and while he doesn't sound good by normal standards there's some massive drop off between that and now. 

I've thought DLR has been terrible ever since the reunion. Original DLR was the shit though. 

They should tour with Axl up front like ACDC did. 

On 1/12/2020 at 5:51 PM, honolulu horn said:

That's the absolute worst DLR has ever sounded. Good Lord. It's unbelievable.

My God.  If I were at that show, I’d be posted up at the bar and just giggling my ass off at how bad it sounded.  That’s like watching a movie you know you want to walk out on, but you want to stay because of the unintended comedy. 

9 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

The YouTube comments are gold. 

"Jump back, whats that sound? Just my entire legacy crashing to the ground"

"This is the vocal equivalent of the Elaine Benes dance from Seinfeld."

"Society is so cruel these days, just look at everyone watching and not calling an ambulance."

"My cat just ran away and I don't own a damn cat."

Gold.

• Like 1

Jesus, I watched about 5 seconds of him singing and had to stop.  I should have treated that like the wolf video in the "holy shit" thread and never watched, but my curiosity got the worst of me.  I thought, "how bad could it really be"while never imagining that it was a bad as that. 

On 1/13/2020 at 11:59 PM, Paul Wesley said:

I came to this thread to see if anyone had posted that yet.

Just brutal.  

I realize that people age and vocal ranges get smaller, but he seems completely pitch-deaf.  Maybe his hearing is gone.  

Actually, from what I have read recently DLR was, at least to a degree always that way. After listening to him at his audition, Alex apparently didn’t understand why the hell Eddie wanted the guy.

Eddie was reported to have told Alex that they needed a visional, bold front man. Someone who could compliment the songs he was writing. And DLR was the best candidate they had auditioned. And if necessary they could hide him in the mix when they had to.

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Actually, from what I have read recently DLR was, at least to a degree always that way. After listening to him at his audition, Alex apparently didn’t understand why the hell Eddie wanted the guy.

Eddie was reported to have told Alex that they needed a visional, bold front man. Someone who could compliment the songs he was writing. And DLR was the best candidate they had auditioned. And if necessary they could hide him in the mix when they had to.

That, and Roth had a PA. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Thanks for posting, smuggs.

If anyone is under the impression that DLR could never sing, just listen to that first verse and first chorus.  

A few pitchy notes here and there, but that is a really solid rock vocal (and yes, I know that's not Dave singing the high harmonies).

DLR was always doing the talk/sing thing in concert but he was a decent vocalist back in the day.  saw them at austin360 last time they came through and was pretty close. DLR was certainly covering for his deficiencies but he wasn't anywhere near that bad.   If he isn't sick in that video, he should definitely hang it up.