austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

on the old site, we had a thread about radio happenings, and i think it was on the current events board.

anyways, i just tuned in to klbj am and jason dick and ed clements are talking sports. jason said "we're talking sports 4 - 6 monday through friday"

is jeff ward out at klbj? it's the first of the month and q4, so i wonder if they've made some massive line up shake up?

there was also a recent change in ownership, so i wonder...

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190610/emmis-communications-sells-its-stake-in-8-austin-radio-stations-for-393-million

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 1

Wow, just went to the website....and no mention of Jeff Ward AT ALL:

Weekday Program Schedule:

12:00AM - 4:00AM Coast To Coast AM With George Noory
4:00AM - 5:00AM America In The Morning With Jim Bohannon
5:00AM - 5:30AM Austin's Morning News
5:30 AM - 10:00 AM The Todd And Don Show
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM The Mark and Melynda Show
11:00AM - 2:00PM Rush Limbaugh
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM Mark, Melynda & Ed
4:00 PM - 6:00 PM The Jason and Ed Show
6:00 PM - 10:00 PM Buck Sexton with America Now
10:00 PM - 12:00 AM The Tony Katz Show

He's jut been flat-replaced in the 4-6 slot with Jason, and he's not anywhere else on the schedule.  And note that they haven't even created a hotlink for the new show yet.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Wow, just went to the website....and no mention of Jeff Ward AT ALL:

He's jut been flat-replaced in the 4-6 slot with Jason, and he's not anywhere else on the schedule.  And note that they haven't even created a hotlink for the new show yet.

it was obvious that something weird started at three, when mark and melynda stumbled into the 3 o clock hour, obviously winging it. then ed showed up 20 after the hour and jason showed up at the bottom of the hour, and they dove into their new sports show.

they both sound a bit nervous and shaken up, to be honest.

i listen to people talk way too much in real life to tolerate it on the radio.  I just cancelled my Sirius, so am back to local radio in my car (unless listening to ipod or Spotify).  other than kutx and sun, I cant find much out there.  acl is a misnomer, and plays no Austin music, just vapid pop.  what do you guys listen to?

Is this the thread where we talk about how much Austin radio sucks these days? 'Cause Austin radio really sucks these days...

10 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i listen to people talk way too much in real life to tolerate it on the radio. 

Yeah, this. Esp dumbasses like Ed Clements and complete asswipes like Jeff Ward.

So ... KLBJ has been sold? Hopefully maybe on the music side they can now expand from the 30 got damn songs they seems to have on a continuous loop.

Edited by wood

Can't get onto Facebook now to check his page, but Dale Dudley will definitely say something if there is something going on.  If not on FB he'll mention it on his show tomorrow.  Normally only listen on the way home, happened to click on the online stream, thinking they might be talking about the Guyger verdict, and I was like, who is this ass?

5 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Can't get onto Facebook now to check his page, but Dale Dudley will definitely say something if there is something going on.  If not on FB he'll mention it on his show tomorrow.  Normally only listen on the way home, happened to click on the online stream, thinking they might be talking about the Guyger verdict, and I was like, who is this ass?

Uh, Dudley's page says "left job at emmis"

Well, being that the morning show has long been a parade of ignoramuses and Trump-fellating....it was no longer on my roster.  And I generally work late, so don't get much afternoon drive time, BUT, I would listen to Jeff on occasion....there sure as hell doesn't seem to be any reason to tune in to KLBJ AM anymore, does there?

43 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i listen to people talk way too much in real life to tolerate it on the radio.  I just cancelled my Sirius, so am back to local radio in my car (unless listening to ipod or Spotify).  other than kutx and sun, I cant find much out there.  acl is a misnomer, and plays no Austin music, just vapid pop.  what do you guys listen to?

the ticket

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, being that the morning show has long been a parade of ignoramuses and Trump-fellating....it was no longer on my roster.  And I generally work late, so don't get much afternoon drive time, BUT, I would listen to Jeff on occasion....there sure as hell doesn't seem to be any reason to tune in to KLBJ AM anymore, does there?

Not really, no. That morning show is fucking terrible. Mark and melynda will not be any better with ed on there, mostly because mark just gaslights the fuck out of every topic on the show, and ed just sort if goes along to get along. That show with jeff was genuinely good, imo. Ed took the hard edge off jeff. 

I wonder is the new ownership are trump supporters or something. no cr, but ward and the dudley and bob with matt show both getting 86ed on the same day seems like the end of an era in austin radio. 

• Like 1

Bozo will be crushed if Todd and Don are gone.

Could not stand those guys. Would annoy me when I got in my car in the morning and left the station on there the night before

Pretty much only listen to satellite now anyways. Sucks to see some of them go though.

Npr will be getting a lot more listeners for sure

FM morning show is intact, I believe. As far as them saying "left Emmis" is because the handover went down. Sucks about Ward. For all his flaws, he was the most listenable person on that station.

Ed Clements is the biggest ass-kisser the world has ever known. He ain't going anywhere.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

Weird, heard Jason say something about replacing Ward on the way home and haven’t been able to find any info except here. Also, I thought Dudley was fired from KLBJ last year over something political when he went off on a rant one day. I remember him saying “this will probably get me fired and I don’t care...” and the next day he was gone.

I liked Jeff, he was edgy and called things the way he saw them. Kinda sucks because every time Jeff was on vacation the evening show sucked without him. I may have to listed to something else now on my drive home.

As for those 2 dumbasses Todd and Don in the morning. They are an acquired taste. I listen to them on the way to work but only for the lulz and the traffic report. It’s also funny when they make fun of stupid callers.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Not really, no. That morning show is fucking terrible. Mark and melynda will not be any better with ed on there, mostly because mark just gaslights the fuck out of every topic on the show, and ed just sort if goes along to get along. That show with jeff was genuinely good, imo. Ed took the hard edge off jeff. 

I wonder is the new ownership are trump supporters or something. no cr, but ward and the dudley and bob with matt show both getting 86ed on the same day seems like the end of an era in austin radio. 

I'm not gonna go CR either, but just google Sinclair Broadcasting and you'll get your answer.

2 hours ago, TPCJ007 said:

What kind of salary does a local talk show host or DJ pull in? 50-60K?

Not much, on the music side everything is automated at a lot of stations (and decided upon by people at the corporate offices) owned by larger corporations.

A former roommate worked at an Austin radio station in the late '90s/early 2000s, and I was surprised at how little a lot of these guys earn - a lot of them are constantly doing side-work - voiceovers, commercials, paid appearances, etc.  I imagine it's even worse now.

I heard the new show and the announcement that Jeff was gone today.  Jeff was the only part of talk radio worth listening to.  What channel is NPR?

I also wanted to hear about the Guyger verdict and got Jason Dick

Edited by TexasEd

I heard the new show and the announcement that Jeff was gone today.  Jeff was the only part of talk radio worth listening to.  What channel is NPR?

I also wanted to hear about the Guyger verdict and got Jason Dick

90.5. I’ve been listening to NPR for a long time now...I like to support local radio, but god, KLBJ morning radio has been garbage for years.

14 hours ago, TPCJ007 said:

What kind of salary does a local talk show host or DJ pull in? 50-60K?

Morning drive hosts make a lot more than that on big time stations.

I know for a fact that about 10 or 15 years ago Dudley signed a 5 year deal worth $1 million or $200K per year.

Not sure what he is making now though.

Those type of shows make a ton on money.

Was wondering where Ward was yesterday PM, especially w/ the Guyger verdict coming down.    Just stumbled onto this thread.

Ward was all that station had.   Full of himself, no doubt, but generally had some interesting things to say.  His first show on KLBJ was the Monday after Route 66, so 22+ years ago.   He didn't hesitate to call on maniacal lunacy that exists, all over, especially within the city.  And there was and is plenty of that, grows by the day.    Really sucks that he is gone because you could generally turn to him for some honesty and good analysis, again, especially about local issues.   

Wow, this is weird all around. 

Jeff is an insufferable prick, but he's a quick thinker and generally supports his positions.

Ed eventually became Jeff's cuck . . . he's awful.  He literally has nothing interesting to say.

I've been meaning to switch over to more KUTX/Sun as well as podcasts for my drive home.  I guess this helps.

• Like 2