austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

Read on the Reddit thread that Jeff was making $275K/year. Not sure if true but if so that's pretty good to talk shit for a couple hours per day. 

Also from the Reddit thread:

His wife posted this on FB last night:

From Jeff:

I’m honored to have given every ounce of intellectual honesty I have for the past 20 years. To anyone who appreciates that, I appreciate you.

Whether I made you laugh or scream, every day I thought about how to make that barstool the most entertaining place you could be. It’s all I ever wanted to do. That part of the job was fun. Thank you for letting me in. I admire you, and I hope you admire me.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go play with my kids.

• Like 1

If Jeff made $275k a year, that is likely the biggest reason for him being gone. Even if he consistently finished first in the ratings, he was gone. I remember when Emmis took over, Dale Dudley bitched about being made to take a pay cut. New management gonna cut the fat. 

so does this mean we'll finally get a new 101X morning show?  jason and deb was stale a couple of years ago.  now it's just torture.  there's no chemistry as they each try to talk over each other.  deb incessantly whines and her stories take forever and a day to tell.

i hate watching or listening to the news because i'm reminded constantly what a fucking idiot trump is.  but i would rather listen to npr and deal with reporting of trump and his 13 year old antics than listen to jason and deb.

i wan't an avid listener to jeff but usually enjoyed the afternoon show.  guess if it's radio, it's npr and npr only.

Ed used to stand his ground as a quasi-conservative alternative to Jeff's quasi-libertarian leanings.  At some point, perhaps on instruction, he lightened up and just became a parrot who regurgitated whatever Jeff was saying.

In hindsight, this probably happened when Ed stopped working with Sergeant Sam, the biggest cockgoblin in Austin who couldn't hide his inner David Duke well enough, so maybe it just means Ed is a parrot regardless of who he works with.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Deej said:

If Jeff made $275k a year, that is likely the biggest reason for him being gone. Even if he consistently finished first in the ratings, he was gone. I remember when Emmis took over, Dale Dudley bitched about being made to take a pay cut. New management gonna cut the fat. 

This is probably the truth of what happened.

If I was Dale Dudley I would be nervous as hell.

Edited by Steamboat1874

Never cared much for Ward after his infamous senior year spitting behavior during a Westlake soccer game.  That, and the fact that he dribbled the ball the length of the field to blow by my freshman son and kick an easy goal while our goalie was caught napping.

13 minutes ago, Par4 said:

Per the twitters Kevin Dunn is gone from The Horn afternoon show. October 1st was a bloodbath in this market. 

He and Brad Kellner are the only decent hosts they have after B&E in the morning (really just E). His show should be on right now. I'm gonna listen in.

edit: kevin dunn is on the air right now

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Blutarsky said:

Just tuned in and Kevin and Chad are both on. It looks like he might have gotten the can from a side gig. 

Yep, looks like a false alarm. The tweet earlier certainly makes it seem all is not well however. 

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Never cared much for Ward after his infamous senior year spitting behavior during a Westlake soccer game.  That, and the fact that he dribbled the ball the length of the field to blow by my freshman son and kick an easy goal while our goalie was caught napping.

How was your goalie caught napping when an opponent had enough time to dribble the length of the field?

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

He and Brad Kellner are the only decent hosts they have after B&E in the morning (really just E).

BK is an actual talent.  So is EHogan, but he's pretty vanilla.  The rest of them are spares, especially Chad, Kevin and Trey.  At least Bucky is funny in a pervy old grandpa way.

Edited by jimmyjazz

On 10/3/2019 at 6:37 PM, jimmyjazz said:

BK is an actual talent.  So is EHogan, but he's pretty vanilla.  The rest of them are spares, especially Chad, Kevin and Trey.  At least Bucky is funny in a pervy old grandpa way.

I used to back in the day despise Bucky on the air as dumb and annoying. But now that he’s gotten older, he’s become kind of funny to me in a grumpy old man with some wisdom sort of way. 

Like just the other day on the air he said,  with respect to the struggling UT defensive backs and DBU, he said its time to stop printing t-shirts about it, and start making some plays. Great line and the truth. 

• Like 1

I found Ward's show as the only palatable drive-time show in Austin.  He was consistent, typically followed a logical path, and his topics were relevant.  My one criticism would be directed to his lack of preparation for any type of sports discussions.  He tended to speak in platitudes and not have basic facts that 15-30 minutes of daily preparation would yield.

I have a similar criticism of Godbolt - preparation.  He seems to show up and wing it far more often than not.  His value add is that he's a personality and has many wonderful anecdotes to share.  One that stands out: his tryst with Carly Simon.  

Edited by boilerhorn

I havent listened to KLBJ am or fm in over a decade.  Dale Dudley funny when I was in high school but was just painful to listen to after I grew up.  Jeff Ward is just ignorant.  He takes a headline and less than basic information about a topic and just fucking rants on and on about it without ever digging any deeper or checking any actual facts.  Then a caller calls in and points out facts he wasn't aware of and he mumbles something like, "Ohhh... ok.. uhhh.. well if thats the case then I guess it isn't so bad... but still!!... (insert more ranting as if the last call never happened)."  Fuck that guy.  

On 10/2/2019 at 6:35 PM, Deej said:

The fact that anyone actually pays Dudley at all is just insane. 

• Like 3

Bucky's a loon. You can feel E's frustration as he tries his damndest to have a focused sports conversation only to see it derailed when Bucky  randomly changes the subject to talk about a girl he dated in high school who had a Ford Mustang. For someone who coached football for a living he sure seems to not know anything about football.

• Like 1

Ed Clemon's intellect actually absorbs light. 

His thought process is something like: bbq bbq bbq RANDOM INAPT OBSERVATION (repeat ten times) bbq bbq

Years ago I listened to him being the voice of reason (can you imagine?) on that morning show with insufferable Sgt Sam who said that proof that Austin was getting too liberal was that the population of Round Rock was growing. Yes, Round Rock would doubtless be a great, conservative, god-fearing city of Texas even if it weren't proximate to Austin. 

Throw in Bob Cole, and you've got an amazingly intolerable set of morons and dickheads on the radio. At least sicko Geoff Ketchum got the hook.

I've got to go away now and corral my jimmies.

• Like 2

So, a small elephant in this room is "Wags" (Adam Wagner).  His coworkers seem to love him, and for a while I wondered if he had actually been injured in service overseas, since he's almost completely incapable of stringing two coherent thoughts together.  However, I think he's probably just a REALLY bad extemporaneous speaker.  He has a show (maybe fantasy sports?) on the weekend where he's not nearly so bad, at least for the few minutes I heard.

I really don't know why the weekday guys let him near a hot mic.  Apologies to Wags if this is overly insulting, but jeez, dude.  

On 10/3/2019 at 3:53 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

Isnt brad Kellner a ticket reject?

No. He was a BaD Radio student intern 5-ish years ago and then came down here to go to UT. I think I remember him producing for a short stint (maybe?) with Chip and Sean on 1300 a few years ago before coming over to the Horn.

So, a small elephant in this room is "Wags" (Adam Wagner).  His coworkers seem to love him, and for a while I wondered if he had actually been injured in service overseas, since he's almost completely incapable of stringing two coherent thoughts together.  However, I think he's probably just a REALLY bad extemporaneous speaker.  He has a show (maybe fantasy sports?) on the weekend where he's not nearly so bad, at least for the few minutes I heard.
I really don't know why the weekday guys let him near a hot mic.  Apologies to Wags if this is overly insulting, but jeez, dude.  

Agreed. I also hate the way he says his vowels.

4 hours ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

The fact that anyone actually pays Dudley at all is just insane. 

We all know that narcissistic twat waffle googles himself every second of every day so let me just agree that Dale Dudley sucks farts out of his own ass for his material.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I should've known I'd find the answer about Jeff Ward's demise here. I thought/hoped he was just on a long vacation the other day when I came across Mark/Melinda/Ed. Oh well, time to delete them from the car's pre-sets.

When Ward was on he could be the sharpest, funniest guy on Austin radio (a low bar, I know). Some of the funniest shit was him playing straight man to his (now ex) MIL Phyllis when she'd make her football picks on Friday. Sponsored by Twin Liquors, of course. I think Phyllis was paid in bottles of wine.

What school did your son go to? I was a varsity senior at Crockett against Ward and Westlake. He (according to my teammates) forearmed me in the back of my head, dropping me and leaving a hairline fracture in one of my vertebrae as a result.

I stupidly played the second half and got a yellow card from a cheap (retaliation) foul against him. Totally worth it. He was a punk.
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

What school did your son go to? I was a varsity senior at Crockett against Ward and Westlake. He (according to my teammates) forearmed me in the back of my head, dropping me and leaving a hairline fracture in one of my vertebrae as a result.

I stupidly played the second half and got a yellow card from a cheap (retaliation) foul against him. Totally worth it. He was a punk.

Hope you kicked him in his patrician balls.

40 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Love it.  My son is a hyper-aggressive 15 YO striker (Rangers) and is the absolute worst at retaliating after a dirty play by the opposing backs.  He plays remarkably clean until he decides it's time for a little return medicine, and then it's always incredibly obvious.  We have the post-match talk, "yeah dad, I get it" and then next match?  Same thing.  He's never drawn a red card, though.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2019 at 6:08 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Love it.  My son is a hyper-aggressive 15 YO striker (Rangers) and is the absolute worst at retaliating after a dirty play by the opposing backs.  He plays remarkably clean until he decides it's time for a little return medicine, and then it's always incredibly obvious.  We have the post-match talk, "yeah dad, I get it" and then next match?  Same thing.  He's never drawn a red card, though.

I would throw field chalk into the face of anyone trying to cross midfield. Only got caught once.