austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

18 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Ward re-surfaced anywhere?   

He filmed an iphone video that his wife posted on a facebook fan page, said he was "listening to some cool opportunities coming my way, so stay tuned"...  I would think that after the holidays he'll make some kind of announcement.

1 hour ago, UTCzech III said:

He filmed an iphone video that his wife posted on a facebook fan page, said he was "listening to some cool opportunities coming my way, so stay tuned"...  I would think that after the holidays he'll make some kind of announcement.

Thanks. I'm guessing the same. 

On 12/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, irishtexan said:

Changed the station when Bucky started talking about the Hallmark Channel for the thousandth time this morning. We might be at a historic low for sports talk radio in Austin.

Lower than the Gregg Henson at 1300 the Zone era?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nightfly said:

Lower than the Gregg Henson at 1300 the Zone era?

correct me if I am wrong, but werent there a few options at 104.9 to listen to while Gregg was destroying that station single-handedly?

He fired Erin and had Bucky try to work with like 8 other hosts before Buck quit, but if i remember correctly, Erin started up 104.9 about 4-5 months after being axed from 1300

Changed the station when Bucky started talking about the Hallmark Channel for the thousandth time this morning. We might be at a historic low for sports talk radio in Austin.

Disagree. Not that long ago we had Chip Brown in the mornings and Sean Adams in the afternoons. And of course the Hansen era was a disaster.

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that's because that dude works fucking hard. he brings some real strong analysis, imo. really does his homework, and comes to his show with a clear plan.

100%.  He says more in 5 minutes than most of the other guys on The Horn do in 20.  I like almost everyone on The Horn, but Rod stands out, for me.

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

100%.  He says more in 5 minutes than most of the other guys on The Horn do in 20.  I like almost everyone on The Horn, but Rod stands out, for me.

And he has worked on his elocution a lot. He was nails on a chalkboard to me early on.

Yeah, agree on Babers.   Had one of the best tweets of the football season in late November:

Texas currently leads the #Big12 in missed tackles, sacks allowed and penalties; making the #Texas #Longhorns the worst blocking, tackling & most undisciplined team in the Big 12. These are cultural indictments and symptoms of a much broader affliction.

8 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, agree on Babers.   Had one of the best tweets of the football season in late November:

Texas currently leads the #Big12 in missed tackles, sacks allowed and penalties; making the #Texas #Longhorns the worst blocking, tackling & most undisciplined team in the Big 12. These are cultural indictments and symptoms of a much broader affliction.

Love that. If you can't talk about the program like that, you're not a legitimate voice discussing it.

23 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

He can't change his voice, but other than that, Rod's a top analyst/commentator.  

Can't change it, but he has obviously worked on it. He's definitely slowed it down a bit. I wasn't digging on him. He is far and away the best talent on that station.

4 hours ago, Theo Huxtable said:

I agree with some of the others who say that sports radio in Austin is the best it’s been in decades right now.

Unfortunately Ed and whats-his-name show isn’t one of them.  The 3-6pm window both Ward and Ed used to occupy is now one of the worst in radio.  

Holy moly it’s bad.   

BK is a legit talent.  Trey is probably the one who drives Your Mom nuts with the cultivated cynicism.  At least BK is funny . . . and young enough to actually have a future in the business.

For those who listen to The Horn on FM (104.9) -- does it ever buffer and wrap back a few seconds?  I can't tell if it's my car radio or the station itself.  Doesn't happen with other FM stations.  I'm about to just switch to the app.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

BK is a legit talent.  Trey is probably the one who drives Your Mom nuts with the cultivated cynicism.  At least BK is funny . . . and young enough to actually have a future in the business.

For those who listen to The Horn on FM (104.9) -- does it ever buffer and wrap back a few seconds?  I can't tell if it's my car radio or the station itself.  Doesn't happen with other FM stations.  I'm about to just switch to the app.

104.9 loops for me on occasion on the Tune In app. I always thought it was the app, but perhaps its the source. Other channels are fine on it. 

10 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I deleted KLBJ from my presets the day after they fired Jeff Ward.

I quit listening to KLBJ when they hired him. In fact I quit listening to all talk radio and switched to 91.3. Saved my sanity for sure.

Now with the satellite radio in my new ride it’s the ‘50s, ‘60s, & ‘70s channels.

10 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I deleted KLBJ from my presets the day after they fired Jeff Ward.

pretty much same here. 

not sure the thinking behind all that.

but 104.9 is solid, i got to say, pretty much all day long. trey and bk are big on their bits, and are kind of inflexible about them, but regardless, it works for that timeslot, imo.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is definitely a trivial thing that drives me crazy.  When I got in my car this morning and flipped on the Horn, I had to hear Bucky talk about "jewery" twice while he was doing a commercial for some local jeweler.  

2 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

This is definitely a trivial thing that drives me crazy.  When I got in my car this morning and flipped on the Horn, I had to hear Bucky talk about "jewery" twice while he was doing a commercial for some local jeweler.  

It switches from regular to HD radio all the time on my truck. That is when I have the "buffer" issue.

1 minute ago, HOOKEM4 said:

It switches from regular to HD radio all the time on my truck. That is when I have the "buffer" issue.

Their signal isn't very strong in some parts of town either so you get some tejano gibberish mixed in.

I like Trey and BK and think that Rod Babers is their best, most researched talent. Really enjoy listening to his breakdowns, the dude does his homework. Absolute pro.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Now that I think about it it might be Chad or Kevin in the afternoons.  I don't know.  

Drives me somewhat batty when Kevin is talking to someone who is a fan of a team (ie., Chad and the Cowboys) and I hear something like, "Yeah, Chad, you guys are going to have to step it up this Sunday against the Rams.   But I guess you'll still be able to win the division next week in Philly."   And I get the same thing when he'll congratulate Chad on the Cowboys or A&M winning a game.   Congratulate on doing exactly what, and exactly what role was played in winning said game?

Dear lord, fans aren't members of or in any way affiliated with a team.  We're just overly enthusiastic saps who like to follow a team, for whatever reason.

32 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Drives me somewhat batty when Kevin is talking to someone who is a fan of a team (ie., Chad and the Cowboys) and I hear something like, "Yeah, Chad, you guys are going to have to step it up this Sunday against the Rams.   But I guess you'll still be able to win the division next week in Philly."   And I get the same thing when he'll congratulate Chad on the Cowboys or A&M winning a game.   Congratulate on doing exactly what, and exactly what role was played in winning said game?

Dear lord, fans aren't members of or in any way affiliated with a team.  We're just overly enthusiastic saps who like to follow a team, for whatever reason.

Yep, a random "you guys" from Kevin could mean a&m, Cowboys, Bucs, Braves, Mavs, or anybody Chad has ever rooted for.  And "we" could mean UT, ND, 9ers, cubs, etc. Way overused on both...

104.9 signal sucks and just started getting that buffer thing lately as well when I switch to the station, definitely a hd issue they used to not have. I live south but drove up to cedar Park the other week and there were spots that signal would fade for sure. Works great from SW Austin to Central though

Chip Brown & Hardge are doing a live spot from my neighborhood pub this afternoon. Do I shoulder check him or throw an IPA on him?

Are they still on the air? If so, I assume they just do the show for free to get air time. I can't imagine the show makes much money.

5 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Chip Brown & Hardge are doing a live spot from my neighborhood pub this afternoon. Do I shoulder check him or throw an IPA on him?

What / who is Hardge?   I thought most Austin radio personalities were perpetually shuffling station to station but this person doesn't ring a bell.   Is it the guy that replaced Adams?