austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

• 1 month later...

I have no idea how Dale Dudley has been on the air for over 30 years in Austin, but kudos to him I guess.  I find him intolerable.  He used to be a narcissistic asshole, now he's a narcissistic crybaby.

I'm sure they'll "hire" someone equally horrible for the morning show.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have no idea how Dale Dudley has been on the air for over 30 years in Austin, but kudos to him I guess.  I find him intolerable.  He used to be a narcissistic asshole, now he's a narcissistic crybaby.

I'm sure they'll "hire" someone equally horrible for the morning show.

Yeah, that show is only bearable when Dale is out and Bob and Matt can actually talk about something other than Dale. 

6 hours ago, Deej said:

Dudley and Bob being moved to the afternoons. I imagine it won't be long before they are gone altogether. 

that's a strange change. 

i have to admit, that show in the morning was one of my go-to's, along with bucky and erin. sure, it could be a rolling shitshow, but that's part of what makes it so interesting. they are pretty transparent about their bits, their adverts, and the business in general. they are also transparent (mostly) about their management conflicts, and how the sausage is made, so to speak.

i don't know about an afternoon drive time show on the fm dial when they normally play music, but i guess we shall see. i'll probably tune in on my way home.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:53 PM, Chet Steadman said:

Unfortunately Ed and whats-his-name show isn’t one of them.  The 3-6pm window both Ward and Ed used to occupy is now one of the worst in radio.  

Holy moly it’s bad.   

Ed is just the worst.  Repeats his idiotic, uninteresting jokes and shitty takes over and over b/c we must have just not "heard him the first 5 times".  And does it all while interrupting whoever is on there with him trying to eek out an opinion.

The thing about Ward was he'd just talk right through Ed doing that and the uninteresting dumbfuck would give up and be quiet.  And goddamn I hate how he's so fucking obtuse about everything, always trying to be the voice of reason by not being too critical.  

Please go away Ed.  And take Bob Cole with you.

3 minutes ago, Aldo Raine said:

Kevin Dunn mentioned something about “Tyler’s new show” during the 4pm hour today, anyone hear anything? Tyler Coe maybe?

tyler campbell, earl's son. he'll have a saturday show, i think from 11 - 2. i don't know anyone who listens to radio over the weekend, but it's still kind of cool.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, Wally Pryor said:

What / who is Hardge?   I thought most Austin radio personalities were perpetually shuffling station to station but this person doesn't ring a bell.   Is it the guy that replaced Adams?

Mike Hardge. Played minor league professional baseball for a long time but didn't make it to the bigs. Was bff with Sean Adams and when Sean passed, Mike filled his seat. I assumed it was temporary but somehow he stuck. 

42 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

tyler campbell, earl's son. he'll have a saturday show, i think from 11 - 2. i don't know anyone who listens to radio over the weekend, but it's still kind of cool.

Hornfm posts pretty much all their shows on soundcloud. Hopefully that will be among them.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, there's just nothing quite like a father-and-son buffoon show.  Congratulations, Ben (or whatever your name is).  You're not quite as stupid as your dad.

Fuckin' A jimmy!

Fuckin' A

When Jeff was on I didn't always agree with him, but I'd learn some things I didn't know (unless it was current day sports, because he was clueless there).

Now that it's mainly just Ed, I learn nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  And to pour salt in that wound is the reality that Ed truly believes that if we'd all just listen to him we WOULD learn something.  He really believes that and once the hilarity of that runs it's course his mere presence on my radio dial makes me want to punch a kitten.

Edited by Cajun

18 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

that's a strange change. 

i have to admit, that show in the morning was one of my go-to's, along with bucky and erin. sure, it could be a rolling shitshow, but that's part of what makes it so interesting. they are pretty transparent about their bits, their adverts, and the business in general. they are also transparent (mostly) about their management conflicts, and how the sausage is made, so to speak.

i don't know about an afternoon drive time show on the fm dial when they normally play music, but i guess we shall see. i'll probably tune in on my way home.

yeah, i go between the two in the morning when i have a kid in the car and can't listen to stern. it's really the only time i listen to austin radio anymore.  i still remember hearing about dudley and bob for the first time...they were handing out temp. tattoos outside the mr.gatti's in westlake.  i was in 7th or 8th grade.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sounds like the Trey and BK afternoon show is gone. Trey was just on being very gloomy and cryptic about it. Could be one of their weird bits though I guess. 

Wow, that would be pretty surprising to me.  I kind of enjoy a few minutes of that if I'm out driving at lunchtime.  They are both curmudgeonly past their years, but usually some pretty interesting takes.

Trey flat out said no more Trey BK midday, that it was the reality of things and they would both be doing other things at the station.

Didnt sound like they got fired, just that their mid day segment got yanked.

obviously not expected because Trey was shilling for famous voice promos for the Midday show all throughout super bowl radio row week with almost anyone they talked to.

also, non austin radio related but DirectTV pulled the plug on The Rich Eisen Show yesterday, it was their last show.

59 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Sounds like the Trey and BK afternoon show is gone. Trey was just on being very gloomy and cryptic about it. Could be one of their weird bits though I guess. 

huh. 

i liked their show. thought it was one of the better produced show on the station. wonder why they got yanked. they did some really interesting things and were great at getting good guests.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

huh. 

i liked their show. thought it was one of the better produced show on the station. wonder why they got yanked. they did some really interesting things and were great at getting good guests.

I know they were shaggy fans but those guys sounded like they were broadcasting from their mom’s basement.  

I know Austin isn’t a large media market but our radio options for sports are never better than average and frequently worse.  I’ll admit Babers has improved but his someone with actual background in broadcasting would be a big improvement.  

4 hours ago, Buck Strickland said:

Dudley and Bob peaked in the 90's with rate a bride, where they would judge the wedding announcements in the paper.  Damn I'm old

Dudley peaked when he and Clark Ryan got a wedding picture of them published in the Statesman, with one of them in drag, along with a write up that included a honeymoon at Schlitterbahn. Statesman was none too happy. Clark left shortly after and Bob and Deborah joined the show.

Edited by ftf82
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 10:18 AM, Red Five said:

Jeff Ward to the Horn?  That's one theory floating around the JW fan page on facebook, I could see it.

This is from their facebook page:

The Horn staff is excited to announce some lineup changes coming March 4th. “To be able to reconstitute our daily line up with our current talent, while adding Craig Way and a talent the caliber of Jeff Howe, is extremely exciting. These moves put us in a position to see tremendous growth into the new decade.” -Erin Hogan

23 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Guess I’m in the minority but I never liked listening to BK. His takes are fine but the old curmudgeonly attitude is a beating to listen to and even more ridiculous sounding coming from a young guy.  

Poor man's Jeff Ward.

I don’t think the Chad and Trey show will be very popular.
Going to be a lot of parenting stories.

Too bad, I liked bk and Trey together and they did a good job. Trey is great at lining up guests and does a good job interviewing/prepping. I'd listen to them at lunch if I was out.the rest of the time I flip between Howard and not but usually listen to Bucky and Erin for a bit at least.

I guess we will see how it works. I never listen to the afternoon show anymore so maybe this will make it better, but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

Trey is great at lining up guests and does a good job interviewing/prepping.

On what planet?  Trey is a horrible interviewer.  He doesn't listen to what the other guy says.  He asks a question, let's them talk for a bit, and then abruptly breaks into the next question, which has nothing to do with the previous talking points.  There is no flow.  There is no conversation.  He's clearly reading off a notecard and couldn't give a shit what the answers are.

On what planet?  Trey is a horrible interviewer.  He doesn't listen to what the other guy says.  He asks a question, let's them talk for a bit, and then abruptly breaks into the next question, which has nothing to do with the previous talking points.  There is no flow.  There is no conversation.  He's clearly reading off a notecard and couldn't give a shit what the answers are.
That's fair. He's over eager probably. But it seems like he lines them up and books them and does some prep work. To me it's pretty good for a 2 hour mid day show that probably has no money. To me that show is like they gave two hours to two interns and they did a great job.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:18 AM, hayden_horn said:

huh. 

Agree.  Their guests, especially, were above and beyond anyone else that others were generating.  And not even close.

10 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I enjoyed Trey and BK as a team but when one was out, the other didn’t carry it so well unless they had Barbers as the guest host. Which one of them are from Chicago? I forgot even though he reminds us every damn show, lulz(I’m from there too).

Trey lived there for awhile.

I mean, I did too, and his incessant Chicago hype even bothered me.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:42 AM, Revolution512 said:

Dunn seems like his mentor which would make sense. He’s fucking awful and arrogant about it. 

Kevin Dunn seems to grow more immature with every passing year.  He's Benjamin Button but only in terms of his emotional age.

(Hi KD.)