austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

Reshuffling the deck chairs on the titanic. That station doesn't need to switch up the hosts. It needs new hosts.

Hogan's the only #1 they have. Everyone else is a backup.

Aggy chad and trey are going to bomb. those dudes are both backups/#2s. They need a strong and likeable #1 to play off. Chad can just be painfully, awkwardly goofy. And with Trey continuing to take a full 18 minutes to set the stage for any of his comments/stories/bits, that's not a slog I'm willing to go through. 

That's a lot of cooks in the afternoon drive show but not any chefs. Rod's football analysis is better than everyone at that station, but his non-sports takes are pretty awkward. I like BK. I think he can grow into a strong radio personality, but he's not a #1 yet. I know a lot of posters seem to be turned off by Kevin Dunn. I like him enough. He doesn't do anything to really annoy me. It'll be interesting to see what role he settles into with Rod and BK.

Craig Way and Jeff Howe, sometimes each solo, sometimes together. Meh? Good? Who the fuck knows. They'll probably talk Horns a lot, which is good. 

Like I said earlier, this just seems like a desperate attempt to see if they can get any mish-mash/combo of these back ups and role players to get some chemistry and create chicken salad out of chicken shit. It's obvious that what the station, and the Austin market in general, really needs are stronger radio personalities. We just don't have them. 

• Like 1

Agreed.  Combining Chad and Trey is like making a soup out of paste and skim milk.  It seems like a setup to kill them off, which will probably succeed, but I've never known radio to be charitable.

I still think BK is a star in the making.  Him and Hogan are the only two who are engaging on their own, in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agreed.  Combining Chad and Trey is like making a soup out of paste and skim milk.  It seems like a setup to kill them off, which will probably succeed, but I've never known radio to be charitable.

I still think BK is a star in the making.  Him and Hogan are the only two who are engaging on their own, in my opinion.

The changes are being made to test this theory it seems.

New stuff from Jeff on his Jeff Ward FB Fan Page:

MESSAGE FROM JEFF:

To avoid being caught up in SXSW clutter, my marketing team has decided to push back its substantial campaign a few weeks. You’ll love the ad campaign; it’s “vintage Jeff.”

I (along with my producer, Johnny), will be live on April 13th, and there will be plenty of ways to access both live AND recorded shows. (And no, KLBJ is not involved.)

See you soon,
Jeff

2 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

New stuff from Jeff on his Jeff Ward FB Fan Page:

MESSAGE FROM JEFF:

To avoid being caught up in SXSW clutter, my marketing team has decided to push back its substantial campaign a few weeks. You’ll love the ad campaign; it’s “vintage Jeff.”

I (along with my producer, Johnny), will be live on April 13th, and there will be plenty of ways to access both live AND recorded shows. (And no, KLBJ is not involved.)

See you soon,
Jeff

No Jimmy the Neck?

• Like 1

I liked Trey/BK. Trey is good as a producer though, BK is the real talent like others have said. They had a lot of good guests....Richard Linklater, Mia Kalifa, the dad from Friday was on there....will miss that one.

I'm liking Dan Patrick show on youtube now. Wonder where his vanilla brother Rich Eisen ends up, he is currently on Fox Sports but will be done with them soon as they have Cowherd in the same slot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 4:07 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Yes, he would be good radio right now. 

On 3/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, TPCJ007 said:

Any update on Ward's return? I would like to hear his take on the Corona virus situation.

His wife’s FB page says 4/13.  Not sure if on the radio or a podcast.

6 hours ago, deft said:

I know it’s hip to hate on Dudley and bob but I still stream everyday. They had to cut Daniel yesterday.

They have my preferred genre, but I couldn't tune in when I was driving to work.  Now that I'm home I can't listen to afternoon radio.  Fire them all and put the MP3s on a huge loop.

• 2 weeks later...
COMING APRIL 13! 
Pull up a bar stool, Austin. Jeff Ward is back.

Beginning April 13, the longtime local talk-radio host is returning to the conversation with “The
Jeff Ward Show” — airing live weekdays, 9 a.m. to noon, on the new Statesman News Network.

“I don’t cheer for political parties. In fact, I spend a great deal of time ripping them,” says Ward.
“I’m an Austin guy who likes to talk about Austin stuff.”

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 11:19 AM, Radical Larry said:

Yeah, it sucks that they had to let Daniel go.

He got another job in the building, though. They need to get rid of Dale. Bob, Matt, and Chuy are actually much more listenable when he's not there.

59 minutes ago, Deej said:

So this station is streaming only? Is the Statesman going to charge you to access it? 

well, i'm streaming it live and did not have to pay anything.

so far, sounds like vintage ward type things. good to hear him.

also, interesting how he's embraced twitter on his show. mr. anti-social media engaging with his audience on twitter. 

Edited by hayden_horn

9 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I was enjoying listening to Ward grill Adler with some good questions but is there an app for this thing, the streaming format is awful on my end?  Getting blasted with ED commercials every 30 seconds (twss) and it’s become unlistenable.  

Try subscribing to the podcast here:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jeff-ward-show

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I heard Chip Brown on the Horn this morning with Bucky and Erin. Wondered why Chip was on with a competitor, and looked at the Zone's website. Chip doesn't have anything "The Zone" related on his twitter. So it looks like Fuck Chip Brown's morning show has been cancelled, as "The Bottom Line" is no longer listed on the Zone's schedule. 

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I heard Chip Brown on the Horn this morning with Bucky and Erin. Wondered why Chip was on with a competitor, and looked at the Zone's website. Chip doesn't have anything "The Zone" related on his twitter. So it looks like Fuck Chip Brown's morning show has been cancelled, as "The Bottom Line" is no longer listed on the Zone's schedule. 

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

• Hook 'Em 1

gonna be pissed if Hogan hires Chip back.     I know Chip went to go work with Sean Adams, but when Chip left, it really fucked Hogan over as program director. 

I remember Erin bitching that he basically had to work 2 straight years without a vacation because Chip quit the week before Hogan's planned family vacation during the sports summer deadtime  (that 6-8 weeks after the NBA/NHL championships up to the first week of NFL Pre-season games)

plus, Chip seems dead fucking set on taking down the Longhorns one made up story at a time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

i always thought jason and deb was pretty good for local, morning radio.  haven't listened since i got sirius though.

I just can't imagine being furious about any change to local radio programming. 

@swraith I drive a lot so I have various local radio stations on quite a bit. I wouldn't care if any or all of the hosts got replaced. It's just pulpy background noise. I'm sure their replacements wouldn't be any less or more interesting or insightful.

Edited by ztejas

I used to listen to Dudley and Bob until the constant whining, crying from Dale was too much...missed Charlie too.  

I tried Jason and Deb as well, but outside of the special segments that were funny the rest of it just annoyed me...too much smugness from both of them.  

When hosts just go on about their personal lives endlessly, straying from anything insightful about...anything...I got tired of both shows.  I’m also often a grouchy bastard and found I was more intrigued by learning about the world via KUT/NPR in the mornings than inane bullshit on Dale’s house or Jason’s shits or Deb’s dog.  

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just can't imagine being furious about any change to local radio programming. 

I don't know. People develop relationships with them every morning on their commute.  They feel like they know them they laugh.   It becomes routine.  Seems pretty easy. 

In the grand scheme of things it's not that big of deal but I get it.

17 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I used to listen to Dudley and Bob until the constant whining, crying from Dale was too much...missed Charlie too.  

I tried Jason and Deb as well, but outside of the special segments that were funny the rest of it just annoyed me...too much smugness from both of them.  

When hosts just go on about their personal lives endlessly, straying from anything insightful about...anything...I got tired of both shows.  I’m also often a grouchy bastard and found I was more intrigued by learning about the world via KUT/NPR in the mornings than inane bullshit on Dale’s house or Jason’s shits or Deb’s dog.  

Jason is even worse as a sports guy. That sports show on 99.7 can be rough - although they have a decent moment every once in awhile. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, irishtexan said:

Reshuffling the deck chairs on the titanic. That station doesn't need to switch up the hosts. It needs new hosts.

Hogan's the only #1 they have. Everyone else is a backup.

Aggy chad and trey are going to bomb. those dudes are both backups/#2s. They need a strong and likeable #1 to play off. Chad can just be painfully, awkwardly goofy. And with Trey continuing to take a full 18 minutes to set the stage for any of his comments/stories/bits, that's not a slog I'm willing to go through. 

That's a lot of cooks in the afternoon drive show but not any chefs. Rod's football analysis is better than everyone at that station, but his non-sports takes are pretty awkward. I like BK. I think he can grow into a strong radio personality, but he's not a #1 yet. I know a lot of posters seem to be turned off by Kevin Dunn. I like him enough. He doesn't do anything to really annoy me. It'll be interesting to see what role he settles into with Rod and BK.

Craig Way and Jeff Howe, sometimes each solo, sometimes together. Meh? Good? Who the fuck knows. They'll probably talk Horns a lot, which is good. 

Like I said earlier, this just seems like a desperate attempt to see if they can get any mish-mash/combo of these back ups and role players to get some chemistry and create chicken salad out of chicken shit. It's obvious that what the station, and the Austin market in general, really needs are stronger radio personalities. We just don't have them. 

On 3/2/2020 at 4:08 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It's funny seeing these from almost a year ago. I was coming here to post how God awful that show is. Triple Option is actually decent - which is about all you can hope for in Austin. But my God Trey is fucking terrible. I don't think Chad has much substance but at least he has a decent voice and delivery for radio. I listen to Trey and I wonder how he even got on the radio. Like who decided that people want to listen to that guy talk for hours at a time? 

That slot is probably awful ratings-wise either way so maybe they're fine with Chad and Trey hanging out in purgatory. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's funny seeing these from almost a year ago. I was coming here to post how God awful that show is. Triple Option is actually decent - which is about all you can hope for in Austin. But my God Trey is fucking terrible. I don't think Chad has much substance but at least he has a decent voice and delivery for radio. I listen to Trey and I wonder how he even got on the radio. Like who decided that people want to listen to that guy talk for hours at a time? 

That slot is probably awful ratings-wise either way so maybe they're fine with Chad and Trey hanging out in purgatory. 

Interesting thread bump.

In the past week I've noticed (a) Deb got fired from 101X and (b) something happened on KLBJ's FM drive-time show.  Sounds like Matt Bearden and a new chick, no Dale, etc.  The less time Dale Dudley spends on the radio the better, he is so absolutely mind-blowingly awful it strains credulity.

I heard Trey actually have an intelligent conversation with Jeff Ward yesterday, I guess Chad was off with covid.  The problem with Trey isn't that he's stupid, he's not, he's just not compelling.

BK remains a star on the rise.  I called that one right.

Chad actually knows quite a bit about music, which I didn't realize.  He's grown on me.  He's still a dorky Aggie, though.

KD is approaching middle age with the maturity of my 17 YO son.