austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

unless he is going to somehow become a VP at Morgan Stanley, thats a heck of a step down to take. 

you would think that after 20 years being in TV and local sports radio he would have had a larger network to call upon to get a differnt  job other than stockbroker. 

Is it? I would think most jobs at Morgan Stanley would be on a much more lucrative track than local radio. I don't know how much those guys make but I can't imagine it's a lot.

16 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

It was his time.  The Horn needs some fresh blood bad.  Craig Way is an icon.  Rod Babers is ok.  E Hogan is ok but Bucky is in decline and needs to be minimized.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Rod take Buckys place in the morning (with Bucky maybe part time if he’ll accept that), teaming up with Erin.  Then leave Craig where he’s at and bring in a whole new afternoon crew.  Someone who is actually funny and someone who actually knows sports.  KD at this point was neither.

Hopefully the fresh blood doesn't involve bringing FCB back to the radio business. Agree though that they need reshuffling. Chad and Trey are unlistenable and the afternoon show has been bad since BK left.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Is it? I would think most jobs at Morgan Stanley would be on a much more lucrative track than local radio. I don't know how much those guys make but I can't imagine it's a lot.

I guess I wasnt that clear, I know radio guys dont make shit.  maybe $35-45k if they are lucky and do about 200 promos a year.   what I meant was, stockbroker is a job that almost anyone  who has any semblance of intelligence out of college can get without much effort.  Now, obviously the bad ones end up quitting after 2-3 months, but my point was for a guy with almost 20 years of local experince, who has worked with and interviewed literally hundreds of athletes, managers, and CEO's/ leaders in the city that I would have thought he would have had a much better choice for a new career. 

but, then again, maybe hes being hired to be a VP of marketing, or the new VP of Public Relations... at that point the job move makes much more sense. 

17 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

what I meant was, stockbroker is a job that almost anyone  who has any semblance of intelligence out of college can get without much effort. 

Not at Morgan Stanley. 

And I doubt that's what he's doing. I was thinking he may be going to do something like recruiting. Even so - junior analysts at MS make way more than $45k/yr. 

18 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I guess I wasnt that clear, I know radio guys dont make shit.  maybe $35-45k if they are lucky and do about 200 promos a year.   what I meant was, stockbroker is a job that almost anyone  who has any semblance of intelligence out of college can get without much effort.  Now, obviously the bad ones end up quitting after 2-3 months, but my point was for a guy with almost 20 years of local experince, who has worked with and interviewed literally hundreds of athletes, managers, and CEO's/ leaders in the city that I would have thought he would have had a much better choice for a new career. 

but, then again, maybe hes being hired to be a VP of marketing, or the new VP of Public Relations... at that point the job move makes much more sense. 

False - if you’re on air talent for a very popular show. The guys that host shows at The Ticket in Dallas make, on average, in excess of $300K per year. Like any career track, longevity generally makes for a higher earner. ‘Charlie Hodge’ is a friend of mine and corroborates this. 

Dale Dudley needed to be off the air 20 years ago.  He is a low-talent narcissist.  Good luck staying alive, asshole.  He pissed me off so many times I eventually changed stations, which I'm pretty sure was not KLBJ's goal.  I mean, he was really fucking mean for years.

Kevin Dunn is an oaf.  Good luck slinging mutual funds.

BK was the best thing the The Horn had going.  Bucky needs to be reined in -- learn how to stay on topic, dude.  Trey needs a personality transplant.  Chad has actually gotten better.  Erin is a total pro.  Rod is sharp, even if he sounds like Kevin Hart.  Craig Way is, well, he's Craig, an institution who has earned his stripes.  Jeff Howe is growing on me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

False - if you’re on air talent for a very popular show. The guys that host shows at The Ticket in Dallas make, on average, in excess of $300K per year. Like any career track, longevity generally makes for a higher earner. ‘Charlie Hodge’ is a friend of mine and corroborates this. 

Lots of qualifiers in that statement -- very popular show, in Dallas, as starters.  There is no way that the guys in Austin are pulling down ratings like the guys on The Ticket in Dallas.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

BK was the best thing the The Horn had going.  Bucky needs to be reined in -- learn how to stay on topic, dude.  Trey needs a personality transplant.  Chad has actually gotten better.  Erin is a total pro.  Rod is sharp, even if he sounds like Kevin Hart.  Craig Way is, well, he's Craig, an institution who has earned his stripes.  Jeff Howe is growing on me.

Agree with all of this.

Bucky has needed reining in for quite some time.  He often interrupts Erin with some uninformative comment or tangent, and Erin never gets back to the point he was trying to make.  He's still funny at times, but his best radio years are well behind him.

Someone said it earlier, but I think they should move Rod to the morning with Erin.  Some folks don't like Rod, but the dude is constantly doing his homework and comes to his show well-prepared.  I think he and Erin would crush it in the morning. 

And while I don't listen to much late-morning/mid-day radio, I like Craig and Jeff.  They don't bring any comedic relief, but if you want to listen to a few guys talking really good sports, they do a great job, especially when it comes to Longhorn sports and recruiting and high school sports.  And Craig is still one of the best in his profession.

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m not even a Horn (class of ‘02 Poke) but I prefer listening to Craig on the radio whenever possible.  The man uses the intonation of his voice to masterful effect and I get chills when a big play is breaking.  Y’all got a good one and it’ll be a sad day here when he retires.  Glad y’all appreciate him.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Lots of qualifiers in that statement -- very popular show, in Dallas, as starters.  There is no way that the guys in Austin are pulling down ratings like the guys on The Ticket in Dallas.

You’re right. But there’s also a large range between $45K and $300K. I can assure you a co-host of a reasonably popular show in Austin is making much more than $45K. 

My turn?  Ok, this and 25¢ will get you a 25¢ cup of...

The Horn - stopped listening almost 100%.  The only time I do is on the way to the gym or my morning convenience store stop, giving it about 5 minutes.

Chad has always been the ADHD goofball -  immediate turn to another station.  Can't stand his peppery hype.

Trey is good but flat as a pancake in his delivery.

Anyone else in the afternoon is a beatdown.  Babers has come a long way and has a pretty good pesonality, but man he just can't escape Rod Babbles.

Erin drives me up the wall... he seems like the nervous babysitter who tries to be cool, but is always concerned with going too far or something.  Maybe it's just being plastic or whatever.  Dude, you have a personality somewhere, use it.

Here's where I differ... I love Bucky. Yup, love him.  Why?  Sure he goes off topic, sure he asks 2 minute questions that go nowhere, sure he says dumb shit.  But... here's the thing:  1) of all the radio personalities, he comes through as the most natural and easygoing.  No effort on his part to sound manufactured.  And here's the other thing: 2) sports, is and always will be, nothing but entertainment to me.  I don't have some personal identity in any team.  If Texas wins, I feel good but that's it.  If they lose, I don't grip for days.  And Bucky brings that "it's only entertainment folks" easy naturalism.  Yes, obviously he's not your cup of tea if you want more "serious" sports discussion, but I don't.  I love when he goes off on stuff, it makes the show fun, listenable, and above all - entertainment and not some last ditch, gripped effort to be relevant.  And if you really listen to him at time, he knows football X's and O's, having played the game on a pro level, better than anyone except perhaps Babers and Jeff Howe (a former college OL I think?).  Sure he doesn't come in 101% jacked, he's casual and doesn't give a shit if he doesn't know the 3rd string left tackle for Coastal Carolina.  I love his casual approach, like a breath of fresh air.  And again at times he can surprise you with his insight.  Is he mailing it in?  A little, but he's maybe the best radio personality they have, and he deserves a break at 66 or so.  Eventually I think he'll retire soon so it won't be an issue anyway.  But until he does, I enjoy him.  If he's not on that day with Erin, I immediately flip somewhere else.  He's the only reason I ever tune it at all.

Have to say as well though, that although Craig at first sucked as a show host, he and Jeff Howe have also settled into an easygoing banter, and he's actually pretty good now as a host, and I do like Howe and his not-always-thru-orange-glasses good takes.  Show has become really good the past year or two.

Moving the dial, I echo Jimmy's sentiment about Dale Dudley.  God to listen to his whiny narcissism first thing in the morning every day, I'd be suicidal.  I also can't understand why people listen to 3-4 people just bullshit with no-talent stuff like you'd do with your homies at Terry Black's Barbecue.   At least a decade or so ago they'd play music.  Now, just blah blah blah me me me.  I know most stations in the morning have cut music, but god at least most of the others are cheery if not plastic.  He should have been let go long ago - but since I've long stopped listening to KLBJ FM I guess I don't care per se.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Re: Bucky

And if you really listen to him at time, he knows football X's and O's, having played the game on a pro level, better than anyone except perhaps Babers and Jeff Howe (a former college OL I think?).  

I don't think Howe played beyond HS.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

And if you really listen to him at time, he knows football X's and O's, having played the game on a pro level, better than anyone except perhaps Babers and Jeff Howe (a former college OL I think?). 

He might know X's and O's from his playing experience, but he sure doesn't talk like it on the radio.  Lots of generalities that you or I could say if we were in his chair.  I just don't get the sense that he's watching a lot of games and doing any homework like others on the show.  And maybe that's a combination of him bringing the funny-guy angle to Erin's straight man and/or mailing it in. 

I say this a Bucky fan, someone who still occasionally laughs out loud in my car at some of the shit he says.  But I also think he's grown stale and should transition to gardening full time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Had no idea this thread existed....HORN listener for years...even in Houston.  They are always on if I can listen. 

Pretty sad Dunn is also leaving....3pm was my favorite show.  I had to replay the podcast from yesterday when he announced it bc I caught the tail end of it live yesterday. 

BK set this in motion...lol  Miss that guy.

Who are they going to add with Rod?  Babers has always been my favorite and I agree with his takes on everything even non-sports lol (except the white condiment thing).  They better hang on to him to keep me listening....but I am really surprised he hasn't been swiped up by now...he is legit.

Edited by utxmike05

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Not at Morgan Stanley. 

And I doubt that's what he's doing. I was thinking he may be going to do something like recruiting. Even so - junior analysts at MS make way more than $45k/yr. 

Yea Dunn mentions something about being around athletes a lot...and he mentioned the growing landscape he had to take this offer.  Might have something to do with NIL stuff?

19 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Had no idea this thread existed....HORN listener for years...even in Houston.  They are always on if I can listen. 

Pretty sad Dunn is also leaving....3pm was my favorite show.  I had to replay the podcast from yesterday when he announced it bc I caught the tail end of it live yesterday. 

BK set this in motion...lol  Miss that guy.

Who are they going to add with Rod?  Babers has always been my favorite and I agree with his takes on everything even non-sports lol (except the white condiment thing).  They better hang on to him to keep me listening....but I am really surprised he hasn't been swiped up by now...he is legit.

4 hours would be a lot of time for Babers to fill but when he had the "Rodcast" with just him and no other cohosts he was pretty good. I think it was only a 2 hour show though. I didn't mind Dunn but there were a lot of times when Rod would try to make a point and Dunn would interject something not even really related and completely sidetrack the whole point Rod was trying to make. I'd imagine they'll have to bring in someone new to the station and shuffle the lineup. No idea who though.

22 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

4 hours would be a lot of time for Babers to fill but when he had the "Rodcast" with just him and no other cohosts he was pretty good. I think it was only a 2 hour show though. I didn't mind Dunn but there were a lot of times when Rod would try to make a point and Dunn would interject something not even really related and completely sidetrack the whole point Rod was trying to make. I'd imagine they'll have to bring in someone new to the station and shuffle the lineup. No idea who though.

Yea agreed lot of time to fill for him alone.  I have gotten used to the voices of the other guys like Isaiah Collier, maybe he gets thrown in temporary opposite with Rod.

Dunn was ok and it was "cool" that he knew the college of almost every pro player.  But he would go off on tangents and kinda seemed like the college guy that never grew up...not a bad dude but you can tell he is the older single guy on the show.

• Like 1

There isn't one good sports talk radio personality in Austin. The best one is E Hogan, but he's about as vanilla as they get. Everyone else has fatal flaws:

Bucky has turned into a doddering old codger that cannot stay on topic, asks 2 minute questions of their guests, and has no idea what's going on in the world of sports. This guy was a position coach at major college programs and he has absolutely no idea what's going on in college football. 

Craig is a top-tier college football play-by-play announcer. But he's boring as fuck as a sports talk radio host. I don't need to hear trivia about the backup fullback for the 84 Hutto Hippos. We get it, you have an encyclopedic knowledge of high school sports. Works mid-game. Doesn't work in a talk-radio format.

Chad is a doofus.

Trey is boring, as well as a total grouch. 

Rod is getting better. I appreciate the statistical research be brings to the table. But he takes too long to make his point, and doesn't have a compelling personality outside of the football-specific expertise he brings to the table. He's not a natural conversationalist.

Kevin Dunn was fine. I'm not sure I'm going to miss him tremendously. Mainly because I listen so infrequently now.

I liked BK. He was the opposite of Babers - he wasn't an expert, but he had good rapport with his co-hosts and guests, and he just felt natural on the air.

They need a serious injection of talent because they've been reshuffling the lineups for a few years now and none of the shows are particularly entertaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dale Dudley needed to be off the air 20 years ago.  He is a low-talent narcissist.  Good luck staying alive, asshole.  He pissed me off so many times I eventually changed stations, which I'm pretty sure was not KLBJ's goal.  I mean, he was really fucking mean for years.

Kevin Dunn is an oaf.  Good luck slinging mutual funds.

Craig is s great play by play guy and a really good color guy. As a radio talk show host, well he does know a shitload about high school football, 

Jeez buncha sports radio character experts in here lol.  Guess this is surly though…

It’s just sports radio. HORN is great compared to trash here in Houston (I’m not from here)   Some of the stations/broadcast that I have tired sounds muffled and voices come off as old man grumpy.  

2 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Well due to the extreme costs of renaming the show, I suggest Kevin Durant or Kirk Douglas.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Craig is s great play by play guy and a really good color guy. As a radio talk show host, well he does know a shitload about high school football, 

He's an incredible PBP with no glaring weaknesses in any sport he covers. That's impressive as fuck.

However, on Light the Tower he'd rather tell you how to drive from Austin to Ames by only taking backroads and Farm-to-Markets whose numbers when added up are divisible by 3. Yes, he's Rain Man when it comes to high school football and is a human GPS, but nobody cares about which Dairy Queen you ate at in Stephenville.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Deej said:

They should move Casey Studdard from Saturday morning to team with Rod. Then we could sit back and watch cars intentionally drive off of overpasses every day during afternoon drive. 

Kasey ain’t really a radio guy but I will say he was skeptical about our OL this year way before anyone else and he was got damn right.

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Kasey ain’t really a radio guy but I will say he was skeptical about our OL this year way before anyone else and he was got damn right.

I imagine Kasey is as difficult to listen to in real life as he is on the radio.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Probably wouldn’t be interested but wonder if the Horn have or would think about reaching out to Tyler Coe. Dude was the original surly/shaggy-esque character at the station before BK made it up. 

he originally left to go work for rooster teeth, but quit them after a few years.    his twitter implies hes now a twitch streamer. 

3 minutes ago, demos said:

Alrighty. Good gig if you’re getting paid for it.

Yeah it's really hard to break into it to where you're making decent money but it's pretty much a dream job. Any fairly popular streamer (say that has an audience of at least a couple thousand viewers at a time) is probably pulling like $5k/mo. Anyone that regularly cracks 10k viewers is well into 6 figs and it's created plenty of multimillionaires (just like YouTube has).