austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

Interesting thread bump.
In the past week I've noticed (a) Deb got fired from 101X and (b) something happened on KLBJ's FM drive-time show.  Sounds like Matt Bearden and a new chick, no Dale, etc.  The less time Dale Dudley spends on the radio the better, he is so absolutely mind-blowingly awful it strains credulity.
I heard Trey actually have an intelligent conversation with Jeff Ward yesterday, I guess Chad was off with covid.  The problem with Trey isn't that he's stupid, he's not, he's just not compelling.
BK remains a star on the rise.  I called that one right.
Chad actually knows quite a bit about music, which I didn't realize.  He's grown on me.  He's still a dorky Aggie, though.
KD is approaching middle age with the maturity of my 17 YO son.  
Trey does pretty dang well with interviews and enjoy the longer interviews discussing someone's book etc.
His takes are laborious and often wrong headed as well. He also says "as well", and a few other phrases way to much as well.

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

(b) something happened on KLBJ's FM drive-time show.  Sounds like Matt Bearden and a new chick, no Dale, etc.  The less time Dale Dudley spends on the radio the better, he is so absolutely mind-blowingly awful it strains credulity.

Dudley, Bob & Matt moved back to mornings, and Matt also has the afternoon show with the new chick.

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Interesting thread bump.

In the past week I've noticed (a) Deb got fired from 101X and (b) something happened on KLBJ's FM drive-time show.  Sounds like Matt Bearden and a new chick, no Dale, etc.  The less time Dale Dudley spends on the radio the better, he is so absolutely mind-blowingly awful it strains credulity.

I heard Trey actually have an intelligent conversation with Jeff Ward yesterday, I guess Chad was off with covid.  The problem with Trey isn't that he's stupid, he's not, he's just not compelling.

BK remains a star on the rise.  I called that one right.

Chad actually knows quite a bit about music, which I didn't realize.  He's grown on me.  He's still a dorky Aggie, though.

KD is approaching middle age with the maturity of my 17 YO son.  

Native Horn beat me to it. 

Edited by Deej

19 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Trey does pretty dang well with interviews and enjoy the longer interviews discussing someone's book etc.

I don't know if it's the way he edits his interviews or if it's live, but he comes across as incredibly non-conversational.  A good interviewer stitches together an answer to the next question, maybe not with meat on the bone, but perhaps just a little verbal flow.  Trey usually comes across as if he didn't listen to the last answer and he just reads the next question off his notecards.  It's incredibly disjointed.

I don't know if it's the way he edits his interviews or if it's live, but he comes across as incredibly non-conversational.  A good interviewer stitches together an answer to the next question, maybe not with meat on the bone, but perhaps just a little verbal flow.  Trey usually comes across as if he didn't listen to the last answer and he just reads the next question off his notecards.  It's incredibly disjointed.
I should have stated "pretty dang well for the low bar that Austin radio sets"

My girlfriend listened to Jason and Deb at work everyday for years. She feels that the show will lose a lot of women listeners now that Deb is gone. But apparently the owner of the station is a total jerk. I have never listened to the show and don't really listen to radio at all anymore but I think that perhaps the readers of this board aren't representative of the entire market for Austin radio.

I feel for the stations. I used to listen to 1300 a lot during my commute. But now with no commute and probably never again it’s going to be tough for them. I just listen music now on my short trips aground town

Feel bad for them, surprised they are still standing to be honest

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about this in light of the Freakonomics podcast on advertising--I would think terrestrial radio would be a relatively safe place to put your ad dollars (haven't looked this up but I presume that the market penetration of satellite remains modest); if this is the case, I don't follow how Austin (which has experienced exponential growth over the past 20 years) and formerly was a reliable incubator for media talent has such terrible radio options. 

The fact that Todd and Don and Mark and Melynda and their vacuous understanding of the world are paid to promote their brand of anti-intellectualism is the kind of thing I'd expect in a Beaumont type media market, not Austin.  Maybe they have data suggesting that their listeners are all living in Bastrop?

It's also odd that KLBJ and a Christian talk radio station occupy prime spaces in the middle of the dial rather than on the fringes or AM radio.  It must just cost nothing to buy a radio station these days. 

On 2/24/2021 at 2:48 PM, jimmyjazz said:

This is true but he does seem to get a pretty impressive set of people to interview. Not sure why or how but it is an asset. 

How is Ward doing with his new gig?
I miss his show but his one made it nearly impossible to easily listen live or listen to full eps after-the-fact so I bailed.  
I've listened to the podcast a couple times. He doing 6-15 minute episodes. It's not bad, but I do miss thre interaction with callers. Is he doing something other than the podcast... like back on airwaves?

9 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I was thinking about this in light of the Freakonomics podcast on advertising--I would think terrestrial radio would be a relatively safe place to put your ad dollars (haven't looked this up but I presume that the market penetration of satellite remains modest); if this is the case, I don't follow how Austin (which has experienced exponential growth over the past 20 years) and formerly was a reliable incubator for media talent has such terrible radio options. 

The fact that Todd and Don and Mark and Melynda and their vacuous understanding of the world are paid to promote their brand of anti-intellectualism is the kind of thing I'd expect in a Beaumont type media market, not Austin.  Maybe they have data suggesting that their listeners are all living in Bastrop?

It's also odd that KLBJ and a Christian talk radio station occupy prime spaces in the middle of the dial rather than on the fringes or AM radio.  It must just cost nothing to buy a radio station these days. 

Are you just taking weird, veiled shots at conservative talk radio or do you actually not understand how that market exists? I'm guessing the former.

To your larger point - for a long time Austin wasn't a big city - so I think there probably wasn't a lot of money put into establishing great radio stations. Now, AM/FM radio is a declining - if not dying - medium and so I'm not sure how interested anyone is in dumping money into it regardless of an increase in potential reach. 

I agree Austin radio is pretty meh but I'd imagine it's on par with other cities that had a similar market size in the 90s and 00s when radio was still a big deal. It's never going to be Dallas or Houston. 

Edited by ztejas

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this website. Enjoyed Jeff Ward....dislike Ed. Most of the time he makes comments just for the sake of making comments and comes off as not really knowing what to say. He's also on a number of occasions told the listeners that he graduated from high school in 1987 and that he is 47 years old. Neither of those statements are true. Why does he continue doing that and why does Waterloo Media seem to condone that? He's probably a decent guy off the air but radio is an entertainment business and Ed does not have the talent for broadcasting. How he has managed to stay around this long on the air is a mystery to me.

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Brad Kellner announced that today is his last show on The Horn. He got a new gig somewhere outside Austin but no specifics announced yet. I thought he was pretty damn good and knows his stuff. Wonder if they’ll replace him or just have the show with KD & Rod. 

That sucks. I think he still needs some seasoning, but he’s hilarious and one of the best on The Horn. Hope they can bring him back someday.

I used to hate BK, he always came across as that type of hard core cynical that sounds ridiculous coming from young people without much life experience. But I will say that in the last few years he has come around and I enjoy most of his takes these days.  Rod B keeps me entertained because I like his football knowledge and he shares plenty of stories from his playing days.   Every single other afternoon  guy on that radio station annoys the fuck out of me.  I don’t really know the difference between Trey, Chad, and whatever the third guys name is. They all sound alike to me and I don’t like any of them.  

Edited by Your Mom

Hopefully they use this as an opportunity to reshuffle hosts again or bring in some fresh blood. Chad & Trey are rough to listen to. I don’t mind Chad that much actually but Trey is a beating to listen to for me. He always comes across as very snobby and loves to use any opportunity to shoehorn the fact that he used to live in Chicago. Plus the interviews he plays occasionally from his podcast feel very rigid and not conversational at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I used to hate BK, he always came across as that type of hard core cynical that sounds ridiculous coming from young people without much life experience. But I will say that in the last few years he has come around and I enjoy most of his takes these days. 

Early on he was WAAAAY over the top playing the grumpy old man in a 22 year old's body schtick, but I think part of that was him having to carry Chad and Trey who are just useless. He's improved dramatically over the past couple years which is why he's getting a better opportunity. I think only he and Rod Babers did any actual work/show prep The rest just show up ten minutes before their shift and recycle the same old shit.

Fuck! Didn't see that BK is leaving. Rod was off a bunch of this week and I actually thought it was so much better with just BK and KD - mainly because Rod wasn't talking over BK the entire fucking time. 

Also the 99.7 show is kind of goofy but can be pretty damn funny sometimes. BDoe was off for a stretch and I thought Jason shined through a lot more even though he clearly lacks some sports knowledge. They obviously don't try and take themselves as seriously which cam be nice for a smaller market like Austin. 

Trey and Chad remain unlistenable - although there was a stretch where Chad was off and it was mostly Trey interviewing guests and it was decent.

16 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Brad Kellner announced that today is his last show on The Horn. He got a new gig somewhere outside Austin but no specifics announced yet. I thought he was pretty damn good and knows his stuff. Wonder if they’ll replace him or just have the show with KD & Rod. 

My guess is he’s going somewhere in Dallas. Maybe the ticket? 

On 8/7/2021 at 7:54 AM, JimmyJames said:

My guess is he’s going somewhere in Dallas. Maybe the ticket? 

Looks like it’s the ESPN station in Houston. Really hoping this forces their hand at some station realignment. I enjoyed all the shows much better before they shuffled everything up last year.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:42 AM, ztejas said:

Also the 99.7 show is kind of goofy but can be pretty damn funny sometimes. BDoe was off for a stretch and I thought Jason shined through a lot more even though he clearly lacks some sports knowledge. They obviously don't try and take themselves as seriously which cam be nice for a smaller market like Austin. 

Pass. I switched over during commercials from time to time only to find Ed Clements somehow got one of his kids on air. I guess they need to groom another idiot to take Ed's place when he finally dies. 

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

Pass. I switched over during commercials from time to time only to find Ed Clements somehow got one of his kids on air. I guess they need to groom another idiot to take Ed's place when he finally dies. 

I agree Ed is past his point of usefulness. But they only do 2 hours every week and I swear they have some funny exchanges. I also stole the Zalatoris +6000 bet at the Masters from that show which he came with strokes within winning. 

Idk. I think sports radio is a very biased product where unless it's 2 guys always killing it then everyone picks their sides on mostly arbitrary shit. 

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dale Dudley has transitioned from a wannabe shock jock to an over-the-top narcissistic douchebag.  Everything is always about him.  He is utterly without any redeeming talent and the day he leaves Austin radio will be a good day. 

He was good very early with Clark Ryan.  But I stopped listening shortly thereafter specifically for the reasons in bold.  I think he did have some talent but simply got way, way too conceited for any relevance.  I had better things to do in the mornings than to tune in and listen to some really psychologically messed up dude go on various rants etc.

But I congratulate him - he's gotten paid a pretty penny for basically being a egotist.  Great work if you can get it.

I actually stopped listening to most talk radio in the a.m. and rarely listen anymore (I used to at least 3-4 hours a day).  It was like having a mental enema.  On the people I disagree with, they're usually jackoffs. On the people I agree with, they're usually parrotting shit I already know.  Back to music and I'll stay there.  I listen now mostly to an online oldies station and I love it - the host knows tons of shit and is right up my alley, always popping some great trivia.

Talk radio is so passè and uninformative now.  And Dale/Bob was nothing but banal idiotic talk (BTW like Bob, always have, know him well personally, terrific guy).

Never liked Dudley/Bob, always seemed like they were way too far up their own asses. I've always been a sports talk guy anyway. DP in the morning is always a good listen.

I actually listened to BK's new show in Houston, and they were pretty good. Better show than what he had in Austin. Only downside is he is forced to talk a lot about an irrelevant team like the Texans.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:37 AM, Homercles said:

Odd that no one mentions her most recent arrest where she assaulted a guy at the Driskill.  She had to have been on thin ice after other issues w/ alcohol and the law, as iirc, she was carted out of ABIA not too long before that for being drunk and disorderly.  Want to say she already had 2 or 3 arrests before the Driskill one.

There was video out of the Driskill incident, and I'm pretty sure it was posted on shaggy/surly.  

• 2 weeks later...